The "Ask Nathan a question" thread

Nathan the Machinist Nathan the Machinist

Hi Nate, can you share more about the sheath options for the 12” Behemoth Chopper pre-order pls?

1) Does it have a no sheath option?
2) Have you decided who will you be working with for the sheath?
3) Is it possible to add slots on the sheath like the below to help secure the sheath better? I find them useful on a long sheath.

25445499658_79cf30bde7_h_d.jpg

Thanks!

Don

The sheath for a big knife like the BC will be expensive so I wouldn't make it a standard part of the package, it would be optional.

I don't expect the BC to be a large preorder. It normally takes about 3-4 months for me to start shipping a preorder but I'm going to give myself twice that amount of time for the BC. Due to the size it can't just be set up across two mills and run as a continuous job, it will either take three mills (we only have four) or be broken into operational batches. This will be slow. It also takes me a long time to do the finish grind. There is a saying: "nine men and nine women can not make one baby in one month". Because of the batch sequencing it's going to take a while for the BC to start shipping. I'm going to word it pretty strongly and I don't care if, as a result, I only sell ten of these. I expect that will scare a lot of folks off. With that in mind I don't think there will be enough to order a production run of sheaths. If there is a lot of interest and the preorder goes over 100 I'll approach a sheath maker with it to make them available after-the-fact if people want them, but otherwise the sale will be for a bare knife.

The sheath for a big knife like the BC will be expensive so I wouldn't make it a standard part of the package, it would be optional.

I don't expect the BC to be a large preorder. It normally takes about 3-4 months for me to start shipping a preorder but I'm going to give myself twice that amount of time for the BC. Due to the size it can't just be set up across two mills and run as a continuous job, it will either take three mills (we only have four) or be broken into operational batches. This will be slow. It also takes me a long time to do the finish grind. There is a saying: "nine men and nine women can not make one baby in one month". Because of the batch sequencing it's going to take a while for the BC to start shipping. I'm going to word it pretty strongly and I don't care if, as a result, I only sell ten of these. I expect that will scare a lot of folks off. With that in mind I don't think there will be enough to order a production run of sheaths. If there is a lot of interest and the preorder goes over 100 I'll approach a sheath maker with it to make them available after-the-fact if people want them, but otherwise the sale will be for a bare knife.
Thanks Nate! I like the idea of a bare knife. I already know exactly how I m going to set it up. I trust majority of members here will appreciate this too.

^ the production Behemoth will be a very nice debut for Blade 2018 ;)

Most people will NOT read all the verbiage if you post and unlock the BC preorder thread simultaneously at 5:00 PM Eastern on 12/29. It will be a better idea to list it locked just like the SALE! threads to give folks a chance to read thoroughly through. I think that if you leave it open for a few days, you will get close to 100 orders but as I sit now, I'm betting on closer to 75. I think if you even state that folks toward the bottom of that PO list may not see their BCs shipped before Christmas 2018 or beyond, that will not deter the CPK diehards. You guys will deservedly do quite well on that PO :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Nathan, first thanks for the BC Pre-order:thumbsup: Is the Production BC offering going to be .250 thick, or slightly thinner .225? Thanks

There, I fixed it for you. ;)

Hmm, do you really think so?! I'll bet you dollars to donuts that Jo will not head onto Atlanta in 2018 without some BCs on her table. If Nathan & Mark like to eat homemade food, they'd be scurry & get 'em ready ;)

Hmm, do you really think so?! I'll bet you dollars to donuts that Jo will not head onto Atlanta in 2018 without some BCs on her table. If Nathan & Mark like to eat homemade food, they'd be scurry & get 'em ready ;)

I bet Jo would like to have her bladesports blade done first. ;)

So... Whacha goin' to pay me for my dozen donuts?

I bet Jo would like to have her bladesports blade done first. ;)

So... Whacha goin' to pay me for my dozen donuts?

I agree that the Bladesport Chopper will have a lead on the production BC and I sincerely hope so for Jo.

A dozen of nothing is still a nothing: the expression comes from a donut resembling a Zero not an actual donut, meaning that the bet maker is assured of making a safe bet.

"A dozen of nothing is still a nothing: the expression comes from a donut resembling a Zero not an actual donut, meaning that the bet maker is assured of making a safe bet."

All these numbers thrown about, when the basis of question begins with someone suggesting that zero equals nothing? Obviously not a math scholar, since zero is generally accepted to be number, but one that is infinitely small to the extent you need a Limit to try to prove the measurement.

You may now continue. Oh, so far the score is Ivan at least 1, Mat zero.

"A dozen of nothing is still a nothing: the expression comes from a donut resembling a Zero not an actual donut, meaning that the bet maker is assured of making a safe bet."

All these numbers thrown about, when the basis of question begins with someone suggesting that zero equals nothing? Obviously not a math scholar, since zero is generally accepted to be number, but one that is infinitely small to the extent you need a Limit to try to prove the measurement.

You may now continue. Oh, so far the score is Ivan at least 1, Mat zero.

Correction:

Ivan at least 1, Mat = donut :eek:

Back