The "Ask Nathan a question" thread

I'm pretty sure that 0 + 0 can be equal to 1, given sufficiently large values of zero. Though I don't math good...

But you would need an infinite number of zeroes, all of which by definition would be of infinitely small value, in order to approach the value of "1", and this mathematical progression is pretty much the same kind of "limit" exhibited by the approach taken by the number "1" as it's value approaches zero.:)

But I may be wrong, who knows.

But I may be wrong, who knows.:)

Last edited:
But you would need an infinite number of zeroes, all of which by definition would be of infinitely small value, in order to approach the value of "1", and this mathematical progression is pretty much the same kind of "limit" exhibited by the approach taken by the number "1" as it's value approaches zero.:)

puttin teh ass in asymptote...

or...

0.360+0.360=0.720
0+0=1

I should prolly stick to pushin the butens n turning da cranks

Rochelle Gutierrez, a University of Illinois professor says that math is racist. Stop using those damn numbers. :mad:

:D

Couple of questions about today's sale:

These are EDC2's, right? (Thread title says EDC)

Is it possible to get one without the sheath?(integrated belt loops don't do it for me)

Is it possible to get the OD green micarta scales with black liners to match my D2 HDFK?

Thanks,
~Chip

Couple of questions about today's sale:

These are EDC2's, right? (Thread title says EDC)

Is it possible to get one without the sheath?(integrated belt loops don't do it for me)

Is it possible to get the OD green micarta scales with black liners to match my D2 HDFK?

Thanks,
~Chip
They are the EDC version 2
They all come with a sheath
Most of the scales are without liners

I think we only used liners on the antique Micarta for these

Last edited:
On these Friday edc2 sales which came after the preorder, a total of 40 knives have been claimed, I believe. Do these 40 knives ship out to the lucky winners in front of the people that payed full price a while back on the edc2 preorder. Which will bump members who have not received their knives back another 40 orders. Or do the Friday sales knives ship to the winners after the preorder is fulfilled?

They ship right away.
Nathan mentions it in the presale write up.

I’m stoked for my EDC2!!!
Yes my knife is bought and sold, but not delivered...I knew he would sell them after the preorder, but was not sure if they were delivered right away.

Look forward to mine as well!
Happy new year!

On these Friday edc2 sales which came after the preorder, a total of 40 knives have been claimed, I believe. Do these 40 knives ship out to the lucky winners in front of the people that payed full price a while back on the edc2 preorder. Which will bump members who have not received their knives back another 40 orders. Or do the Friday sales knives ship to the winners after the preorder is fulfilled?

ES: let's get a couple of facts correctly before things start going down the proverbial rabbit hole!

First of all as far as the Fridays sales are concerned, no matter as to how many people put in their claims for a CPK, the rules still remain First Come, First Served (FCFS). For instance, the EDC-2 sale was for 20 units, meaning that those who claim the first 20 units, including the multiple units claimants win, irrespective of whether 40 people participate or 400 people. In other words there were only 20 EDC-2s and the rest are respectfully SOL!

Secondly, pay attention to Nathan's very clear first posts and here is his quote which is clear as could be:

Here is the order process:

I'm going to take full payment in advance and hold your money. While I think this is usually a bad policy, so I don't generally recommend it, I've been around a while, my shop is an incorporated business established in 2001, so I'm probably not going anywhere. I will ship your knife when it's finished. Once your order is confirmed there are no refunds, changes or cancellations. I will leave this preorder open for a while, once it has been open for a while or if it gets too big I'll close it. We are cutting chips on this project now, they'll start to finish up in about three months. They will ship as they're finished in the order that they are ordered in. As I'm building them, half the knives made will go to this pre-order, the other half will be sold in regular sales. This means you will see knives being sold while you're waiting for your knife.

As a preorder customer, you will just have to wait your turn but you are guaranteed a knife. As a potential Fridays sales participant, you are never guaranteed one unless you crack the winning tier. If there is any remorse on your part and you can not wait till you get your EDC2, I'm sure that you can approach Jo privately via PM or email to see as to what she can do for you. Happy New Year.

This has been a sore subject for a loooooong time. I was kidding a well known maker of high end folders when he stopped at the shop I was working at. (Around 1998) He was on the way to a knife show and had a bag full of knives to sell. I suggested that it was a bit unfair for him to make knives to sell at a show when he had customers waiting 4 or more years. I also suggested that he didn't need to go to shows when he had more work then he could handle. He got a bit huffy and said something like "Am I supposed to be chained to my grinder?" I said, "That's not a bad idea. Your wife could bring you sandwiches and the chain could be long enough so that you could reach the bathroom."

I am not complaining. Just passing on a story. I knew what Nate was doing when I pre-ordered. ;)

Hi Nathan - I have a LC and an EDC 1 and would *LOVE* a Carothers bladesports chopper in whatever you steel you think would kick ass. I figure it's a long (LONG) shot but can't hurt to ask :)

IIRC, Nathan had stated that the Bladesports CC would be in 4V. Let me see if I can find that reference material.

Edited to add:

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads...reat-optimized-cpm-4v-light-choppers.1524896/

These are thinner than normal (almost RLC) Light Choppers with heat treat optimized CPM 4V at HRC 64 taken down under .020" before sharpening and sharpened at 15 DPS. This is aggressive geometry used in competition cuts. That's the purpose of this alloy and HT, it can do that. You probably shouldn't use these to baton through a lot of fire wood but as thin as they are they're not fragile and they'll hold up fine in a competition cut including 2X4 chop, oak dowel, golf ball etc without chipping, rolling or appreciably dulling and sail through ropes, water bottles, paper and straws etc like a laser beam. This is a high performance knife with high edge stability and resistance to the sort of damage like chips, rolls and bends that can get points deducted in a race with the same advanced metallurgy and thin geometry used in competitions. Actually more advanced metallurgy, our heat treat outperforms the current "state-of-the-art".

We started working on optimizing the heat treat for CPM 4V in preparation for the Bladesports Competition knives collaboration with Dan. We've been working on this over the year and there are actually more test knives than sale knives here, meaning that at this point most of the work has been sacrificed to the testing gods. So, the real reason for this work is the comp knives, the 4V LC is just the final platform for the development. But it did yield some very good work and these knives are surplus to that work.

Last edited:
Our blade Sports competition Cutters will be made in Vanadis 4 Extra. The material is on our floor now, prototypes are in process.

V4E is the same steel as 4V, but a finer particle process.

Wow - awesome! Now to see if I can actually get one when they are available :)

Thanks and have a great new year!!

Back