The Ask Todd Thread

Todd may i ask how you finish your blades? They are dark, but not a thick coating. Are they etched? If so how and with what?? .....if you dont mind sharing that is.

He told me once that is was etched not coated. I assume that it is done with an acid but I am not sure how.

Todd of course would be the best resource on this.

Jeremy

Yea they feel etched. Im curious what he uses. And if its PCB, if he dilutes it with water or anything and how long he dunks them for.

I cant see murph being ok with spilling that much beer. That is alcohol abuse right there :D

Hey guys, back from Ethans. Had a blast......... Yes I use the PCB enchant. Yes, it needs to be diluted. Yes, there is a certain amount of time it needs to be in, Yes there is a certain grit that the blade should be taken to for the best result, and yes. It HAS to be neutralized properly or it will rust and pit almost immediately. However, no body told me how to do this, it was something that took about two years of experimenting with all of the above for me to get the results that I wanted.. not really ready to just hand that over to you guys. Experiment and come up with something that's unique to you. I don't have problems helping people out. But I don't want to teach people how to make T.M.Hunt knives....... that's my gig.

Glad you guys had a good time.

And no worries, i found a lot of different information on the subject including how much to dilute and how long to dip, i just normally prefer to talk to people i know about something over taking advice i read from the web from people i have never spoken to. I dont plan on putting an acid etched finish on most the stuff i make. It just seems the raw O1 i have starts to rust faster than the raw 52100 i have, granted neither have been heat treated yet, but i was thinking of just doing them 2 O1 knives to help protect against oxidation.

Hi Todd, just wondering if you're taking orders? I am interested in a Yuma (5/32" thickness) with a particular set of handle scales I had in mind. Thanks. Feel free to email me.

Hi Todd, just wondering if you're taking orders? I am interested in a Yuma (5/32" thickness) with a particular set of handle scales I had in mind. Thanks. Feel free to email me.

Hi Jonny, yes, I would be interested in starting a project for you, just need to figure out specifics and such, you can PM me here, contact me on the tmhuntcustomknives website or the facebook page..... If none of that works, my personal email is tmhunt05@gmail.com
Looking forward to hearing from you.

Hi Jonny, yes, I would be interested in starting a project for you, just need to figure out specifics and such, you can PM me here, contact me on the tmhuntcustomknives website or the facebook page..... If none of that works, my personal email is tmhunt05@gmail.com
Looking forward to hearing from you.
Thank you Mr. Hunt! I will be emailing you shortly. I'm just having a real hard time deciding if I want a Yuma or a Tradewater.

Email sent! And as much as I would love to get both, I don't think it would pass approval by the War Department.

You married guys know what I'm talking about.

Back