The Ask Todd Thread

What brand of chainsaw works best on bear?

Well it sure as hell wouldnt be a Poulan unless you was just gonna hit him in the head with it. I think I would want this one.
[video=youtube;brfKKehFtmw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=brfKKehFtmw[/video]

Todd, what part of Porter Ridge did you grow up on?

Its funny that you ask that. I had never seen the show until Murph mentioned it the other day. I guess those fools live in or around Bloomington which is just about 45 mins. away from where we live. Anyway, Murphs exact words where, "I hope nobody on the forums figures out that were close to them because we will never live that down." Boy was he right. I caught a episode of it the other day, and just for the record. Not all people from Indiana are that stupid. Murph and I might be, but not all! :D

hey Tim tried to respond to your private message but your mail box is full. please empty out some room and I will try again.
Thanks Doc

hey Tim tried to respond to your private message but your mail box is full. please empty out some room and I will try again.
Thanks Doc

Sorry about that ol buddy! got some cleared out now!

Just a thought, wonder why you don't see more briar handled knives...

10996352596_8d26e0ff2e_c.jpg

It's dense, tough and the grain sure is purty.

Todd have you ever worked with stainless steel?

Have you ever or would you consider making a filet knife?

How is it that Murph has been talked to and about multiple times on the Knife Journal Podcast and you've never been on it Todd?

Todd have you ever worked with stainless steel?

Have you ever or would you consider making a filet knife?

Yes and Yes. actually I have a fillet knife project on my bench right now that my son and I have been doing together. I dont think its anything Im going to be offering soon, but to answer your question, Yes

As far as stainless steel, thats a litle more complicated. While I have fooled with some, I simpily cant find any I like. SS isnt the ideal material to make a knife with. the corrosion resistance is nice but that sacrifices all lot of the things I feel a good knife needs. Plus the heat treat on SS is a lot more involved to say the least. So, I have a hard time justifing complicating my processes on a lesser material. Having said that, I understand there is a desire for it, and I am looking into alternatives but thusfar have not found anything that I like. I do have some projects that require more corrosion resitant steel, so, hopefully I will figure something out soon.

How is it that Murph has been talked to and about multiple times on the Knife Journal Podcast and you've never been on it Todd?

Thats simple really. when Murph was interviewed for the podcast, I wasnt there. Ive made the last three gatherings at Ethan Beckers house. However, the last one, I wasnt able to attend due to a previously scheduled family outing that I wasnt going to cancel. Thats where he was interviewed. As far as any other mention or whatever, You have to understand that Murph knows a lot of people. He's really a socail butterfly compared to me. As a matter of fact, my usual demeanor is usually fairly reclusive. (you know, You've met me) Like I've said before, this whole T.M.Hunt knife thing wasnt nessessarily something I set out to do. While Im very grateful to have so many peoples support and friendship. At the end of the day, Im just some dude that likes to grind steel in his little shop in his backyard. Murph is more of the guy that goes out and plays with the knives, talks to the people, Yadda Yadda Yadda. He loves doing that kind of stuff and frankly hes good at it. So if he gets some face time, good for him and good for me. Murph was the one that got me here on this forum, hes the one that introduced me to all of you. He is a good friend, and hes very helpfull to me in and out of the shop. He has more than earned my respect and the respect of others.

Last edited:
Thats simple really. when Murph was interviewed for the podcast, I wasnt there. Ive made the last three gatherings at Ethan Beckers house. However, the last one, I wasnt able to attend due to a previously scheduled family outing that I wasnt going to cancel. Thats where he was interviewed. As far as any other mention or whatever, You have to understand that Murph knows a lot of people. He's really a socail butterfly compared to me. As a matter of fact, my usual demeanor is usually fairly reclusive. (you know, You've met me) Like I've said before, this whole T.M.Hunt knife thing wasnt nessessarily something I set out to do. While Im very grateful to have so many peoples support and friendship. At the end of the day, Im just some dude that likes to grind steel in his little shop in his backyard. Murph is more of the guy that goes out and plays with the knives, talks to the people, Yadda Yadda Yadda. He loves doing that kind of stuff and frankly hes good at it. So if he gets some face time, good for him and good for me. Murph was the one that got me here on this forum, hes the one that introduced me to all of you. He is a good friend, and hes very helpfull to me in and out of the shop. He has more than earned my respect and the respect of others.

I figured out what to put on the backs of our t-shirts.:D

Todd,

If given the choice of being stranded on a deserted Island with either Bear Grylls or Moose, Who would you choose, and why ?

Todd,

If given the choice of being stranded on a deserted Island with either Bear Grylls or Moose, Who would you choose, and why ?

That's a easy no brainer Thorny. Bear Grylls for sure. My luck Moose would be in heat AND wearing his kilt. Id take my chances with just about anybody to get away from that situation. :barf:

That's a easy no brainer Thorny. Bear Grylls for sure. My luck Moose would be in heat AND wearing his kilt. Id take my chances with just about anybody to get away from that situation. :barf:

The only downside would be the peer pressure to drink your own urine. Even Moose wouldn't suggest that nonsense.

Back