The axe-ident thread

Reading all this jogged my memory of when I was around six years old and hitting a rock on a hillside with the poll of a hatchet. In the heat of the battle I raised my mighty hatchet over my head too far and whacked myself in the middle of my scalp with the bit. Fortunately my dad didn't keep the hatchet I used very sharp so I didn't split my skull open. However, as I recall, it just about gave my mother a heart attack and it was a couple of weeks before I was allowed to use the hatchet again.

I was informed by my brother that he knocked down an axe rack (without injuring himself) and I needed to set it back up. As I was attempting to set it up, I hit my other axe rack, knocked it over, and had C23 (one of my 'Slasher double bits) slice my arm. Twice. A pair of bandaids and a pair of Ibuprofens later, I'm icing my left arm and muttering "fun little words" as I'm beginning to feel the partial effects of slicing a 3/8 inch by 1 1/2 inch piece of skin up, but not off. Moral of the story, make sure your axe racks are secure and not under the pipe rack. And make one of those circular racks, not the pallet style, unless they're mounted to something.
IMG-3519.jpg

I was informed by my brother that he knocked down an axe rack (without injuring himself) and I needed to set it back up. As I was attempting to set it up, I hit my other axe rack, knocked it over, and had C23 (one of my 'Slasher double bits) slice my arm. Twice. A pair of bandaids and a pair of Ibuprofens later, I'm icing my left arm and muttering "fun little words" as I'm beginning to feel the partial effects of slicing a 3/8 inch by 1 1/2 inch piece of skin up, but not off. Moral of the story, make sure your axe racks are secure and not under the pipe rack. And make one of those circular racks, not the pallet style, unless they're mounted to something.
IMG-3519.jpg
jEEsUs!! You're "lucky" that wasn't and inch higher and to the right a bit! Ouch man! I solved that problem by making masks for all my axes. Worse I'd get is a melon on my noggin. I'm glad you are alright! Butterfly bandages and few shots of hot damn and you'll be good to go!
Veto the hot damn. I forgot your age! Haha.

Moral of the story

Hey,i'm envious of how sharp your axes are!:)...i'd gladly suffer some blood and flesh loss if someone would only sharpen at least some of mine like that...
It's almost like that old legend of a Damascus sword belonging to that famous Saracene(the great enemy of Christendom,his name escapes me at the moment...),that was so sharp as to cleanly part a silken hankerchief falling onto the blade under it's own weight...:)

A good buddy of mine here had a double-bit bounce back at him off of some springy brush,splitting his skull clear to the dura,dead center on his for'ead...Brain was showing white through the crack,one of the health-aides lost her lunch...He said it was painless,though somewhat disorienting...He now has a cool scar,totally centered and symmetrical(looks cool),and will no longer use DB,on principle...
(I told him i'll give him a Pulaski for Christmas,it may,with some luck, modify his scar towards even higher cool-factor!...:)

But,as much fun as scarifying can be,please do be careful in the future...(being good at sharpening has it's obverse side,the nature of this funny Universe,eh...:)

For some reason, my Woodslashers have cut me more than all my other axes combined, and worse than all my other axes. My assailant is the bottom one in the picture. And I always thought of him as being one of my duller axes. Maybe it's time to re-evaluate my opinion....
IMG-E2263.jpg

IMG-3519.jpg
It could have been much worse but still looks like a stitch job is in order. Get that taken care of.

Hey,i'm envious of how sharp your axes are!:)...i'd gladly suffer some blood and flesh loss if someone would only sharpen at least some of mine like that...
It's almost like that old legend of a Damascus sword belonging to that famous Saracene(the great enemy of Christendom,his name escapes me at the moment...),that was so sharp as to cleanly part a silken hankerchief falling onto the blade under it's own weight...:)

A good buddy of mine here had a double-bit bounce back at him off of some springy brush,splitting his skull clear to the dura,dead center on his for'ead...Brain was showing white through the crack,one of the health-aides lost her lunch...He said it was painless,though somewhat disorienting...He now has a cool scar,totally centered and symmetrical(looks cool),and will no longer use DB,on principle...
(I told him i'll give him a Pulaski for Christmas,it may,with some luck, modify his scar towards even higher cool-factor!...:)

But,as much fun as scarifying can be,please do be careful in the future...(being good at sharpening has it's obverse side,the nature of this funny Universe,eh...:)

Haha I lost it with the pulaski! Classic

I admit to being one who's relatively fastidious in edge maintenance. I can't ding something and not fix it that day unless it's a real project.

I have been using mauls, axes and hatchets for fifty years and never got hurt once. In the energy-crunch and firewood boom of the 1970s I must have split tens of thousands of 16" logs with a maul, even doing tricks like stacking two on top of each other, swinging the maul like a golf-club and splitting etc. and never had anything bad happen. In today's society as many people have tools in their hands as fashionable jewelry as there are using them to make a living or for some practical reason, my guess is those participating in fashion trends are the larger percentage sticking an axe into their leg etc..

"even doing tricks like stacking two on top of each other" (splitting). You are blowing smoke up our okole. A couple of yrs ago you made this claim, as well as others. I threw the BS flag then, and I am throwing it now. Physics, common sense, and my experience, say that all the energy for splitting is absorbed by the top log, none left when the maul/axe reaches the lower log. And I didn't even mention the safety issue of your claim.
Tell you what, I will eat my words if you can put up a video!

To those who read this forum, do not believe everybody who post here. But, I have found that the majority who post here are the good guys with axes.

Bernie Weisgerber

PS- For the record, I have had accidents with axes over the last 60 yrs. If you use an axe every day, you will eventually have some sort of accident, no matter how careful you work.

Sorry, C35 is the guilty party. I believe C23 is my single bit 'Slasher. Also, does this answer your question?
IMG-2265.jpg

I've used an axe for around 50 years with only one notable accident. Got small cuts a few times sharpening them, but back when I was in 7th grade I was standing on the edge of a road bank where we had been rolling rounds off for fire wood. I was carrying a boys axe back to truck when edge of bank caved off taken me and axe along for the ride. When I reached the bottom my dad's friend and I both started laughing, but my arm felt weird and when I pulled my coat sleeve back I could see the bone in the back off my wrist area where the axe had hit in the tumble down the bank. After an hour drive to nearest doctor he had to put in a dozen stitches. The scar is covered when I wear my watch as you can see in pic.https://flic.kr/p/2gLS3Y8

Back