The axe-ident thread

Ouch!!! That’s nasty and looks painful! I shot myself with a finish gun yesterday. First time in 15 years of carpentry. I got off easy compared to you.

Oh damn! I gotta share this.
I had a neighbor in one of my previous lives and he was a true weekend DIY'er.
Refinishing his basement, nail gun to ceiling, he tacked his own thumb. Yes. THUMB. To his ceiling. In the moment he tossed the nail gun and it hit the oil tank, directly hitting the undertank valve. Breaking this brass and bronze valve off at the bottom of the oil tank...with oil in it.
He ripped his thumb off the ceiling, essentially pulling that nail thru and thru his thumb so he could plug the leaking oil tank, call the oil company for emergency assistance and wrap his thumb up. He had some stitches and a big ole bandage for a while.
I wonder how his txtng is, as this was before we all had cells and smartphones and txtng.

:eek:

Well guys not an axe-ident but an accident just the same. I'm actually very lucky I didn't lose any fingers or tips... 19 years as a builder and this is my worst accident. Still a good record... I grabbed a board I was cutting as it slipped off my sawhorses. But at the same time grabbed my still spinning skill saw blade.
View attachment 1248620 View attachment 1248621 View attachment 1248622
I drove myself to the hospital where I waited FOR 6 HOURS to get 4 stitches put in... the waiting was worse than the injury. Lol.
Anyway it's going to be hard for awhile for me to do much of anything axe related unfortunately. Anyway be careful fellas!

You're very fortunate not to have lost a fingertip. Flesh and bone grows back. It'll fill in.

I had a similar axident on my left index finger with a skilsaw. I cut 3/4 way through the bone. But the tip was still there and everything grew back close to normal. I can still count to ten.

Thanks for the well wishes guys. My primary care doc can't see me till Wednesday.
There's no sign of infection and I'm changing the dressings daily. Rinsing in saline water to clean and I'm on a preventative antibiotic. I've heard I should've gotten a skin graft but didn't so recovery will take awhile.
Get this..
The day before this happened the blower fan in my truck broke (so no heat unless I'm doing around 60mph) AND our tenant called and only has luke warm water... It's an oil burning furnace so I think it's the regulator. It'll get warm but that's it.
I'm wondering what I did?? Haha. Just kidding. Shit happens and it could be a lot worse. I have to make phone calls today and start pushing all my winter projects back I think 6 weeks. If I do 6 and can get to everything sooner than great. But I don't know how long this'll take to heal. Anyway I'm just rambling now. I think this may be a good time to start an IG profile. Boredom can drive a man crazy...

Damn,Josh,sorry to hear about your mishap...:(...Not surprised,frankly,as they say around here "flying hours add up"..:(...The more time we have on a given tool the likelier it is(surprisingly)that we pull something of this sort...:(
Get well,use the opportunity to catch up on planning and other theory...
On the bright side-couldn't have found a better time of year for this:)...It's no surprise at all that the heating and assorted weather-related problems all come out of the woodwork...It's the darkest time of year...Days will start getting longer in less than a week,eh?...Then you'll get back in the saddle,but don't neglect to enjoy all the good idleness,be a shame to waste it!:)

Well my worst one was the day my Fiskars X25 showed up and I promptly had to split something. So I go down to the woodpile and start splitting some rounds. I took a hard swing to see what that thing could really do and it followed a crooked grain and came out the side of the wood into the side of my shin before I could move my leg. It took a small chip off the bone but fortunately missed most of it, and fortunately again my reflexes are pretty fast and I was moving my leg back as the axe was hitting it, or it would have been very deep. A trip to the Urgent care got things squared away. After that I'm more careful about full power swings and where they might go.

I got one last winner I was collecting free logs from anybody that was giving them away and a friend of mine works for the local electrical lineman company and they were cutting back trees to keep them from the power lines and I got a ton of logs from them some of them were easy to split then others were impossible even with a chainsaw. Well one evening I was working on one of the impossible to split logs and it got dark so I had some lights out, but not enough apparently, I decided running a chainsaw was dangerous, so I got my splitting axe which is one I still use all the time... because it's the short handled Fiskars splitting axe for the weight and everything it's an awesome axe which led to my axe-ident LOL.... I started chopping into it and I wasn't getting anywhere so I decided I was going to swing that short handled f***er harder which proved to be a bad idea I split through that long at least a portion of it and right into my shin and I was wearing coveralls and all the winter gear and actually didn't hurt as bad as I thought cleaving into your damn leg would have. I immediately sat down, and looked at my coveralls and there was a tiny slit in my coveralls so I was like it's not that bad, so I started laughing about it and my next door neighbor saw me Cleve right into my leg and he thought I had cut my leg off and dropped a box of stuff he is carrying from his shop to his house and sprinted and cleared his fence like it wasn't even there! He look like he was about to pass out and asked me if I was all right, and I told him yeah I was fine I thought chopping in your leg with an axe would hurt worse and laughed again, and I had known him for a long time and he knows that I forged steel and everything else and he just said man you're f****** crazy he asked me if I had looked at it I told him no but my medical kits about 15 feet away I can make it to that so he went back to his house and just said man be careful... Well I decided to stand back up and check the damage because I could feel blood starting soak in my sock in my boot and I lifted up my coveralls and jeans and I had gashed my shin about an inch and a half long and it split open almost an inch wide and was bleeding like crazy. I turned around and got to my backpack keep with me all the time and started digging through it got my Med kit out and I didn't have any damn gauze 4 tape but I did have a call face shield fresh out of the dryer and I'm a commercial electrician by trade so I had left tape you still have folded up my face shield and tied it around the wound with electrical tape, and then I had to put up my tools which I drag out a lot of s*** every time I'm outside in the shop. Then I had to lock everything up and head to the house and I finally got in the house to my real Med kid, and cleaned it shoved it full of Neosporin gauze over it you taped it and almost a week and a half of that I finally went away and I learned 2 valuable lessons 1. don't cut wood at night without having a ton of lights around you so you can see everything no problem. 2. don't get pissed off at impossibly hard to split wood and think swinging harder is going to solve the problem. instead of doing that next time I'm just going to go grab my damn Sledgehammer and my wedge LOL I wish I had a picture of that gnarly ass cut!!!!

Thanks for the well wishes guys. My primary care doc can't see me till Wednesday.
There's no sign of infection and I'm changing the dressings daily. Rinsing in saline water to clean and I'm on a preventative antibiotic. I've heard I should've gotten a skin graft but didn't so recovery will take awhile.
Get this..
The day before this happened the blower fan in my truck broke (so no heat unless I'm doing around 60mph) AND our tenant called and only has luke warm water... It's an oil burning furnace so I think it's the regulator. It'll get warm but that's it.
I'm wondering what I did?? Haha. Just kidding. Shit happens and it could be a lot worse. I have to make phone calls today and start pushing all my winter projects back I think 6 weeks. If I do 6 and can get to everything sooner than great. But I don't know how long this'll take to heal. Anyway I'm just rambling now. I think this may be a good time to start an IG profile. Boredom can drive a man crazy...
How are you doing sir? Healing up ok?

How are you doing sir? Healing up ok?
Why thank you for asking! Can't see much through the bandages but yes healing up quite well I'd say. 15770763431129064902546188220852.jpg
That avulsion will be awhile healing but it's filling in nicely and a lot faster than I thought it would. I've always been a fast healer so hopefully that will hold true for this as well. Stitches out of my middle finger tomorrow. I've gotta get back to work I need money! I've axes to buy! Haha. Thanks again man. I'll link a photo but not post it if you want to see how they look now.. the photo below was from last Wednesday at the doctors so they're actually quite a bit better now.
Edit; to top things off I had a tooth pulled last Friday... Haha. It never rains but it pours! Fing thing was killing me...

Attachments

• 20191218_111425.jpg
    20191218_111425.jpg
    231.6 KB · Views: 10
Why thank you for asking! Can't see much through the bandages but yes healing up quite well I'd say. View attachment 1253269
That avulsion will be awhile healing but it's filling in nicely and a lot faster than I thought it would. I've always been a fast healer so hopefully that will hold true for this as well. Stitches out of my middle finger tomorrow. I've gotta get back to work I need money! I've axes to buy! Haha. Thanks again man. I'll link a photo but not post it if you want to see how they look now.. the photo below was from last Wednesday at the doctors so they're actually quite a bit better now.
Edit; to top things off I had a tooth pulled last Friday... Haha. It never rains but it pours! Fing thing was killing me...
Well if anything can take your mind off of a multiple finger tip wound it would be tooth pain. At least it's winter and Christmas time so income is not an added stress. Shit man, there is no silver lining here. Yet you are in good spirits as always. Glad you are doing ok, look forward to a full recovery so we can see those beautiful hangs you do so well! Wish you the best!

Well if anything can take your mind off of a multiple finger tip wound it would be tooth pain. At least it's winter and Christmas time so income is not an added stress. Shit man, there is no silver lining here. Yet you are in good spirits as always. Glad you are doing ok, look forward to a full recovery so we can see those beautiful hangs you do so well! Wish you the best!
I can't wait to wield an axe let alone hang one! Cheers man... And thanks again.

Well guys not an axe-ident but an accident just the same. I'm actually very lucky I didn't lose any fingers or tips... 19 years as a builder and this is my worst accident. Still a good record... I grabbed a board I was cutting as it slipped off my sawhorses. But at the same time grabbed my still spinning skill saw blade.
View attachment 1248620 View attachment 1248621 View attachment 1248622
I drove myself to the hospital where I waited FOR 6 HOURS to get 4 stitches put in... the waiting was worse than the injury. Lol.
Anyway it's going to be hard for awhile for me to do much of anything axe related unfortunately. Anyway be careful fellas!
Glad you kept your fingers Josh. Sure is lots of ways to get hurt out there. Hope you heal up with no issues.

Why thank you for asking! Can't see much through the bandages but yes healing up quite well I'd say. View attachment 1253269

Man, those pics are making me hungry. I could really go for some prime rib or a Philly cheesesteak or something.

Ouch!!! That’s nasty and looks painful! I shot myself with a finish gun yesterday. First time in 15 years of carpentry. I got off easy compared to you.
Hey man how's your injury doing? A finish nail through a finger is no joke. Did you hit any tendons? Bones or nerves?

A logging-camp brawl maybe?:)

Pictures like these were known as Marginalia,they were these miniature scrawls left by the monks,scribes,on the margins of illumined manuscripts that they were copying...Some of these were downright weird...
This particular one is from the Topographia Hibernica, Royal MS 13 B VIII, folio 28r.

An illustration from a medieval manuscript that means:
"WEAR SAFETY GOGGLES!"

View attachment 1255137

In all seriousness,you guys please be careful out there...
King Harold II approves this message....

images

Back