• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Bad THE BAD Will Moon

I convinced my buddy to order a Will moon mk7 when he opened his book before Christmas. Was supposed to be 12-18 weeks. 19 weeks came my buddy sent an email and will said he was shipping it next week. 3 weeks after that still nothing and my buddy sent another email, will responded said his machine was broke and knife delayed. It's now 6 weeks after the promise date and still nothing but I see will is makinga and selling mk7 knives on Facebook. That is really crappy, he has a designer nk7 for sale but he can't fulfill orders that people paid up front for? What's going on anyone else ordered a designer and not get theirs.

Did Will ask your friend to pay the full amount upfront? That is not a good business practice. Re: Delays - it's pretty normal for knifemakers - I've seen delays from weeks to years (not reasonable, but I know it happens and it happens with a lot of popular makers). If you paid upfront, that's another thing altogether.

He paid up front with credit card. My problem is that while he says he had problems with his machines he is still making and selling mk7s. He just put one up for sale. I'm new to knives but that is outrageous, you have customers that paid you in full, your machine goes down only for paid customers but magically still makes new knives for sale?

Pittknife, no he didn't, I know for a fact that all of those knives you've seen on Facebook are knives he's finishing customer's knives that were ordered in the last production run right now, save for a couple that he put up for sale because people flaked on and he had already finished their knives. I have one on order with him, he's been very good about keeping me informed. Some things are out of the maker's control, I know he's working extremely hard to try and get his stuff pushed out, the guy's a part time maker trying to build knives on top of a full college load, so cut him a bit of slack. He mentioned his three phase power supply was broken for about a month and a half and that really put him behind schedule. Beyond that, it sounds like you're complaining about a knife you didn't even order, someone else did.

I ordered one so I guess I can complain...

When you charge upfront, your deadlines should be easier to meet....its not like he didn't have the money needed to replace the three phase power

He also decided to start customizing ZT801s before fulfilling prior commitments

Also, why do we have a GEN2 Mk7 before paying customers have their GEN1?

I'm not saying he won't come through, and I'm giving him every chance in the world....but his history is flaky, I'm hoping he fixes that

Tricker, he's upgrading all of the existing orders to Gen 2. If you have an existing order with him already and you haven't gotten your knife yet, you'll be getting a Gen 2. From my understanding it incorperates a number of changes based on feedback given to him by customers. He did the same thing with the Mk6.

There's been lots of bad press on Instagram regarding Will Moon, buyer beware IMO...

There are many reputable makers out there to deal with instead.

I'd be cautious as this person has an interesting history that is well documented on another forum.

Hmm I'm thinking maybe I got lucky then... got in when he opened up the initial 10 spots for an MK7. Ended up being a week after the promised time frame but I figured that really wasn't too bad. I probably wouldn't have been as happy if he had been doing the 0801's at that time as well though. I think he'll come thru, he was always pretty good at communicating with me when I emailed... Best of luck to all with an order though.

I usually dislike pre-paying in full and will only do it with very well established makers who have excellent feedback (though not many charge up front anyway...)

I have an arrangement that if my buddy didn't like the knife I would pay for it. Will responded and I sent him my buddies contact info.

Like I said I'm new to knives but not to business. You pay for an item or service with agreed upon terms. You expect the deliverable.

Yeah customers cancelled their order, so send the knife to the next one on the list. The designers were at will's discretion, we didn't put down any specific design request. Only comments in the order form were we liked carbon fiber and tactical look.

ps. What exactly does him being a college student have to do with anything. Business is business, you fulfill your agreements. Who doesn't have stress and tons of issues besides work or school. That's a lot excuse. If he couldn't do it don't charge full price up front.

Last edited:
Yeah customers cancelled their order, so send the knife to the next one on the list. The designers were at will's discretion, we didn't put down any specific design request. Only comments in the order form were we liked carbon fiber and tactical look.

Sounds pretty straightforward as far as your expectations are concerned. There was no distinction when I ordered my original one between designer or custom ones or what not. Keep us updated! It seems like his product is getting better though so hopefully the end result is great!

Last edited:
We often see problems from people that pay up front. Rarely ever see a problem from a maker that doesn't take money until the knife is ready to ship.
I've never been asked to pay for a custom order up front, and would never do that. To many great makers out there to go that route.

Part of business as well is to research the company or provider of said product. Reviewing if customers are indeed satisfied or not. That is one of the most often overlooked and disregarded components. Too many people jump into something unknown with both feet and later regrets and hindsight takes over. Hope it works out, but if you research a little you can find a wealth of information on this business.

Part of business as well is to research the company or provider of said product. Reviewing if customers are indeed satisfied or not. That is one of the most often overlooked and disregarded components. Too many people jump into something unknown with both feet and later regrets and hindsight takes over. Hope it works out, but if you research a little you can find a wealth of information on this business.

Agreed! I did do my best to research before I bought, and for me it turned out. I read these threads all the time though so I'm constantly hunting for info on any maker before ordering. Haven't prepaid for anything since, and nothing before that either. I'm thinking it will be the last time I do ;)

We both researched him and could find very little except YouTube stuff. Nothing that indicated any issues. He's been in contact since this post.

I appreciate his response but that is expected when you pay for something.

Things like this are what drive people away, being new I'm already soured on ordering a custom knife again.

3 posts and you are already attacking a maker. I could see if it was your order, but it is not. Its an order between your friend and Moon. Your friend should post the complaint. Your post is all hear say and is from a non impartial point of view. Its convenient to complain about a maker who was banned and can't defend his name.

3 posts and you are already attacking a maker. I could see if it was your order, but it is not. Its an order between your friend and Moon. Your friend should post the complaint. Your post is all hear say and is from a non impartial point of view. Its convenient to complain about a maker who was banned and can't defend his name.

:rolleyes:
The OP has done nothing wrong by posting here about the issue.
Since he started the thread the maker has contacted the buyer, and I would bet this thread is the reason why.
It worked.

OP, glad to hear he is in contact now. Hope you'll have the knife soon :thumbup:

I see you posted 430 times have they all been this moronic. I am ending up paying for this knife and yes of course my view is biased Sherlock. Your post is irrelevant and it's none of your business, I just used your logic.

I posted to ask if others had the same issue and they have. It's not "hear say", he responded on FB admitted the knife wasn't done.

Btw writing Latin under your name doesn't establish anything. Check this out "E PLURIBUS UNUM", I just read that off the back of a quarter smart guy.

And thanks for letting me know he was banned from here, your defense of him is stronger with that argument.

Let's keep Latin out of the discussion. I was a Latin major once; while conjugations and declensions tortured students, Latin has done little to warrant attack in a knife forum.:)

There's been lots of bad press on Instagram regarding Will Moon, buyer beware IMO...

There are many reputable makers out there to deal with instead.

What was interesting about that Instagram post was that the OP (of the Instagram post) just asked if anyone had a similar experience. Much like what the OP of this post asked. No one disparaged Moon's character, no one attacked anyone... It was all really rather polite. Within 24 hours that one post had over 250 replies! Most all of them stating they had a bad customer service experience and communication issues with Moon. 250 replies....just sayin

Best of luck to your friend Pittknife...

Back