The Bantam is enough

Hello, folks. The Victorinox Bantam (cellidor) has displaced my trusty Svord mini peasant in my pocket, primarily due to space constraints. It's been about 5 months, and I must confess that functionally, I don't miss the mini peasant at all. The featherweight, diminutive Bantam has handled all tasks competently. I have also gained the added functionality of the combo tool, which has come in handy for bottle caps, light prying, and screw turning. My first impression of the 1.1 oz Bantam was that it might not be very strong, but the knife has held up beautifully with no blade play at all. The springs are just as snappy as new. I've even done some wood carving with the Bantam. It's a great little EDC.

Victorinox_Bantam_Classic.jpg

Of my favorite three SAK's, the bantam is right there in the middle. Makes a great minimalist duo when teamed up with a classic. Covers most basis. :thumbup:

11950491083_2a2d4c66c2_c.jpg

My dad has been carrying an Alox Bantam, the old ribbed version, for years / decades. He refuses to replace it with anything else because its so thin and light.

I like the Alox Bantam paired with an Alox Classic. They're both sturdy knives. They lack tweezers and toothpick, and they are not quite as comfortable to hold as the Cellidor versions, but they ride well in the pocket, and they have all the tools I generally need.

When I was looking for a small peanut sized Vic to carry instead of my larger 111mm SAK, I chose the Bantam and have been pleased. I carry it when I carry a large traditional in a leather pocket slip so that I keep the toothpick, and tweezers in addition to the middle sized cutting blade. It is a good little knife.

I'm away from home, and an alox Bantam is what I've been carrying for the last month (eventually paired with a Classic - which I tend to use for everything except the blade). Yes it is enough. Not sure whether I would like the keyring...but I do know that scissors would make it almost perfect ;)

:cool:

Love my alox Bantam. Featherlight, and everything I need 90% of the time. Made a little slipsheath to carry it with a stack of business cards and a pen/pencil.

a5f42ed6.jpg

They never stopped making them, they're just not available on the US market. You can buy them all over Europe.

I've seen them for around $35 on eBay. I used to have several Alox Bantams in different colors, but I can't recall where I put them.

The Bantam probably embodies the two most used tool features... a reasonable functional blade and the cap lifter. Toss in the tweezers and toothpick on the plastic handled ones. Good edc.

The Cadet doesn't offer much more functionality, especially when you also carry a Classic. The title of this thread says it all.

Actually, dogstar is correct, especially when talking about teaming up a bantam with the classic. The duo of bantam and classic out functions many more elaborate two and three layer SAK's. These two most basic models of their frame sizes pack a heck of a lot of function!

The bantam and classic are champions of the maximum minimalism.

Sounds like I should hold onto the ones I have and give them another try. I have a couple Alox and Celidor versions. Sounds like it might pair up nicely with my Executive, which I EDC.

Love my alox bantam. Small and light. Actually looks much dressier than much more expensive knives like my Sebenza. Blade is big enough for any light cutting you might actually do and bottle opener is actually the most useful "tool" to me.

I also have an Atwood Prybaby on my key ring so the so the fact the Bantam is very light duty is a nonfactor. Although the Prybaby's utility is limited by its size, it works better as a prybar than any similarly sized folder could.

Back