The Bears' Den--Shirogorov Showcase

teddyashe teddyashe , CPP CPP 's method seems a good way to get a lot of heat to the pivot. As the Pero is CF both sides, if you're nervous about putting that material in direct contact with a high heat source (as I might be), you could find something like a steel nut to place under the pivot, shimming up the back of the knife as well to afford full metal-to-metal contact for good conductivity.

For my own part, I've had good luck with the hair dryer, leaving it on the male side for a loooong time to get it wicked hot, then pushing the knife down hard on a no-slip rubber pad while using the appropriate bit in a stout-handled driver. Like CPP says, when you get the thread-locker really cooked it doesn't take much force, but a bit of resistance won't hurt.

Edit: We seemed to be posting at the same time. Glad it worked out. :)

Reactions: CPP
Glad it worked for you too. I ended up getting a replacement screw for the RDD before selling it (from the company rep on the other forum). Which tool did you use? I have one Sinkevich/Shiro pivot tool that works well but I got the Sinkevich/Shiro pen and the pivot tool doesn't go in the screw head very far, I was curious if anyone else had this problem. The tool for the body screw fits perfectly.

I got the pivot bit when I bought my Cannabis off the forum here. Not sure where he got it or where to get another one without buying a whole new pen tool. I worry that it doesn't seat fully to the bottom of the screw. I see where REK sells shiro bits but I haven't seen the 3-lobed bit on there.

I avoid LocTite whenever possible in any knife. I'd much rather make the occasional adjustment than fight with free-spinning pivots. One of the advantages of Shiro and other non-Torx/non-Hex screws is the ability to use one's thumbnail to tweak the pivot and recenter or correct play in a blade that's drifted a little. Just adding a little tension to a screw that still seems pretty firm in a precision-built knife easily brings everything back to spec.

Edit: I can see where that wouldn't work on the Pero screw, though.

Last edited:
I got the pivot bit when I bought my Cannabis off the forum here. Not sure where he got it or where to get another one without buying a whole new pen tool. I worry that it doesn't seat fully to the bottom of the screw. I see where REK sells shiro bits but I haven't seen the 3-lobed bit on there.

You bought the Cannabis from me! I bought the tool from a Russian remarketing site, I forget the name

I asked REK about the Sink/Shiro bit before I was able to get my hands on one and he said if I sent the knife to him he could make a bit for it. That was a while ago, so i'm not sure if the offer still stands

That pen does look pretty nice though. That would mean committing most of my collection to Shirogorov models - not sure I can give up my Spydies and Benchmades. I'll message REK just to see but I think he mostly does his own thing these days.

That pen does look pretty nice though. That would mean committing most of my collection to Shirogorov models - not sure I can give up my Spydies and Benchmades. I'll message REK just to see but I think he mostly does his own thing these days.

I never liked any of the tactical pens made by knife makers, but the Sink/Shiro pen seems to have been designed as a pen first, then a tool and not as a weapon.

One negative is that the ink cartridge it takes (Lamy M22) is small.

Quantum has arrived!

My very first Shiro, and I am very very impressed. Absolutely perfect!

It truly is on another level from the crks, hinderer, and olamic I own

Excuse my crappy camera phone. Perhaps my next grand should go towards a new phone instead lol

https://imgur.com/a/692GJen

ppAaney.mp4

QNuFt5p.jpg

hF1G639.jpg

OymXFsp.jpg

That NeOnR20 is pretty sweet, JAB JAB . It's very tempting, even for a larger knife kinda guy like myself, but I do already have my UL and figure to keep it. How's the detent and action on that one? I've read a few complaints about Zero's being finger busters to flip open.

For my part, I had a two-Shiro day, switching over from my RDD this morning and early afternoon...

NBG2x3K.jpg

...to my Tarbargan when things became a little more work-like later, moving a little gear around and re-fitting the roll-up door on our fabric Quonset, transitioning from boathouse to storage and workspace . Afterwards, I retied the lanyard on the 100NS, replacing the ferruled blue glass with the Shiro pivot bead I most thankfully received from our friend CPP CPP .

eMg270r.jpg

UdjlamY.jpg

I have to admit I’m really tempted as well (and if I didn’t already have the NeOn and HatiOn I definitely would...) but I’ve decided my next Shiro is going to be one of the larger models and I’m going to hold myself to that.

I had a bit of a duh moment there, JAB JAB , not putting it together that the big R1 in the upper left corner indicated that was a dealer pic and not yours. I guess you don't know any more about the action than I do. :rolleyes:

I really have no idea my future holds re acquiring more Shiro's. Most of mine are now older models, but I'm very satisfied with them and can't imagine selling off any to pick up newer versions of the same models. I like the F3NS a lot, but my Python's not going anywhere--same for my Hati on washers as much as I drool a bit over Alutex Hati R's. I can't see getting another F95, even though I've been tempted by various ones here and there, new and used, as my SRBS T and my R with its 3.5mm blade are both keepers. One I would grab in a heartbeat is an old school 110 with AXIS-style lock. A 110B is even more lust-worthy, though the price on one of those would likely be an amount I shouldn't spend on a knife. :eek:

Reactions: JAB
I do like the Alutex Hati R (esp. in blue sea) but think I want something totally different so I’ve been going back and forth between a 111 and F3.

Back