The Bears' Den--Shirogorov Showcase

It has finally arrived :D
fIKluJy.jpg

Is it possible to open it manually using the fuller? I know on the 111 it is...
I don’t think so. At least I can’t do that.
As CPP mentioned, the 111 does indeed allow manual opening using the fuller. I've seen guys both thumb and Spydie flick the knife open, though up to this point I've really only managed a slow sweep with my thick old carpenter's mitts. It does start better with the middle finger and fooling with it now I can sorta get it to Spydie flick. Does the Quantum have a fairly stiff detent, Clem?

No - the detent is very much on point.

I can’t open it by flicking the fuller simply because I can’t get my thumb sufficiently into the hole when it is closed. Someone with smaller thumbs or more dexterity may be able to.

The flipping action is really really nice and crisp and it is drop shut when closing - beautifully dialed in.

It certainly is. Photos don’t do these knives justice. The hand feel and action are superb.

I am so taken with it...that... erm... well... er.... another Shiro is on its way to me.

Oops.
That’s how they get ya:D

Quick question from a Shiro newbie. I just want to check that a very early lock up is typical on Shiros.

I noticed mine is at 10% (maybe 15% at a pinch). It looks like it barely locks. That said it seems rock solid. I checked a few YouTube vids and there seems to be a theme of early lock up. Is that what you guys see as well or is this a concern? Thanks

Quick question from a Shiro newbie. I just want to check that a very early lock up is typical on Shiros.

I noticed mine is at 10% (maybe 15% at a pinch). It looks like it barely locks. That said it seems rock solid. I checked a few YouTube vids and there seems to be a theme of early lock up. Is that what you guys see as well or is this a concern? Thanks
I'd say that's been true with most if not all of the Shiros I've had and it's never been a problem

I basically agree with CPP CPP , as most all of mine have been pretty early, settled in just a taste breaking in, and have been really solid all along. My older SRBS F3 Python, however, was so early that it was concerning and if lightly opened without flipping could be made to slip. It also developed lock stick as it broke in. I did some interior polishing with white rouge to the lockbar and blade ramp to move it over a little and made one light swipe along the lockbar edge to give it a micro-bevel. The lockup was rock-solid after with no more stick.

I think that F3 was anomalous, but if you're concerned, lightly two-hand open your knife and check for slip, though I suspect you'll be fine.

Last edited:
Back