The Bears' Den--Shirogorov Showcase

That's a good point, @JAB . I've experienced many times a let down when first receiving something highly anticipated, but many such moments are followed by a warming and appreciation to the point loving the new acquisition. It's only natural to build an image or expectation in one's mind of something as yet sight unseen that can't possibly be met on first encounter. And like you say, it could still be a really good knife that just isn't up your alley.

Not turning this into a WTB post, but man I've been spending a lot of time looking for a decent Hation Zero. I had hoped the Hati would be a little smaller than the F95. I somehow thought it was going to be closer to 3.25 to 3.5". Looks like the Hation should fit the bill nicely. Now to find one!

It is surprisingly my favorite.
S6dJqYI.jpg

Have they discontinued the turtle pattern on the 95? Been checking the dealers on this side of the ocean but haven’t seen one in a while.

I think I should’ve bought the quantum. Please tell me I don’t need one. Knife addiction is real :(

It all depends on how many you already have in order to talk you out of one. :oops:

I only own one shiro, a neon zero, which just arrived Tuesday. But I own a ton of other knives; and I’ve bought quite a few this year already.

I think I should’ve bought the quantum. Please tell me I don’t need one. Knife addiction is real :(
The quantum is a very nice knife. I prefer it to the neon NL I have but I really like both and the neon is a very easy carry (eg in shorts etc).

The quantum has quite a "swoopy" curved blade. I like it but that may not be for everyone.

I only own one shiro, a neon zero, which just arrived Tuesday. But I own a ton of other knives; and I’ve bought quite a few this year already.

I started in 2018 and went through 2019 trying to keep close to a zero-sum policy for knife acquisition while somewhat consolidating my collection, selling off multiple lower-value knives to fund the purchase of higher-end pieces. That's one way to go to buy something like the Quantum, particularly as you seem to have acquired "quite a few" lately.

Have they discontinued the turtle pattern on the 95? Been checking the dealers on this side of the ocean but haven’t seen one in a while.

I haven't heard anything about a discontinuation of that model and it would surprise me if they did that as the F95T still seems to be one of their most popular designs. I didn't see anything about it over at USN where Tom the official Shiro rep hosts, contributes, and moderates. There are only four official outlets for the knives worldwide and I just checked them all--the Workshop's website doesn't have any Turtles shown in the For Sale section, Rezat lists the model as "Not Available", the official dealer in CA shows it as "Sold Out", and only Knifecenter lets you put an F95T in your cart with the caveat "Typically ships...within 1 to 2 months". That last quote leads me to believe that the knife will continue to be available. My suspicion is that with so many new and recent models coming out of the Workshop that their production capability has been concentrated on those and the stock of Turtles has been allowed to temporarily dwindle in the meantime.

Then you need the Quantum, by the time you get one, the neon will be broke in and it’ll be time for a new one.:p
That’s the best I can do.

I started in 2018 and went through 2019 trying to keep close to a zero-sum policy for knife acquisition while somewhat consolidating my collection, selling off multiple lower-value knives to fund the purchase of higher-end pieces. That's one way to go to buy something like the Quantum, particularly as you seem to have acquired "quite a few" lately.

I haven't heard anything about a discontinuation of that model and it would surprise me if they did that as the F95T still seems to be one of their most popular designs. I didn't see anything about it over at USN where Tom the official Shiro rep hosts, contributes, and moderates. There are only four official outlets for the knives worldwide and I just checked them all--the Workshop's website doesn't have any Turtles shown in the For Sale section, Rezat lists the model as "Not Available", the official dealer in CA shows it as "Sold Out", and only Knifecenter lets you put an F95T in your cart with the caveat "Typically ships...within 1 to 2 months". That last quote leads me to believe that the knife will continue to be available. My suspicion is that with so many new and recent models coming out of the Workshop that their production capability has been concentrated on those and the stock of Turtles has been allowed to temporarily dwindle in the meantime.

thanks! Recently picked up a neon nl and quantum but itching to replace the 95t I sold off years ago

Back