The Bears' Den--Shirogorov Showcase

It appears fluted in your pic. I don't recall any of my knives having a fluted stop pin.
At first I thought the stop pin had a "fuller" of some sort but, after looking again, I believe it's just a reflection on the stop pin.

At first I thought the stop pin had a "fuller" of some sort but, after looking again, I believe it's just a reflection on the stop pin.
You're probably right about that, but I figured that our friend mikomonday mikomonday has so many fine, unique knives that as Kevin Garnett once said, "Anything is possible!" (Inside reference for M.A.S.S. members. ;))

Reactions: CPP
ah yes guys, that is just a stop pin perfectly polished by over a year of use and flipping :D

hopefully the neon will eventually look the same!

S125V duo

118167361_3363651680366707_2090713098562874704_n.jpg
I have never seen a S125V blade before. These beauties must be extra high end.
Beautiful duo you have there.

While I had heard and read about S125V, I only came to have knives with that steel in the last year in a pair by Andrey Biryukov. S125V has an amazing 12% Vanadium content and is thus able to achieve hardness in the 59-65 range with Crucible asserting that it has the "highest attainable hardness of CPM steel". I've not subjected those two knives to any substantial or sustained hard use, so I can't speak to their durability or edge retention, nor have I tried to sharpen either of them. I have resharpened S90V (90% Vanadium as its designation would imply), and while it's no picnic--especially one knife of my son's which was dramatically de-apexed by draw-cutting over a hard surface--a great edge can be very satisfactorily achieved with the proper equipment and patience.

What about Nick Shabazz negative review of the Shiro 95 on youtube? He said the way the lock face was made that the 95 would not last that long, and a lot of short cuts were used on the knife. What do you all think? I sure do like my 95T. I am not bad mouthing him because I think most of his reviews are real good.

I asked similar question few pages back. None of the people who replied experienced bad things happening to the lock. My Shiros are good so far. Two of them are frequently used one is F3 produced around 2014, the second one is F95NL produced in 2018. I'm a bit concerned about F95NL, because when I cut something hard or when I grab the knife tight, the lockup goes to 100%. So far there is no blade play or anything wrong with the lock. I decided to carry this knife almost every day, especially when I know that it will be used, to check if the lock is going to wear. We shall see how it ends :cool:

Inadvertently pressing on the lock bar of any frame lock will push it in all the way. The contact area on any Shiro appears large enough to avoid failure even when twisting or applying torque during hard use.

I asked similar question few pages back. None of the people who replied experienced bad things happening to the lock. My Shiros are good so far. Two of them are frequently used one is F3 produced around 2014, the second one is F95NL produced in 2018. I'm a bit concerned about F95NL, because when I cut something hard or when I grab the knife tight, the lockup goes to 100%. So far there is no blade play or anything wrong with the lock. I decided to carry this knife almost every day, especially when I know that it will be used, to check if the lock is going to wear. We shall see how it ends :cool:

I basically agree with marchone marchone and most any frame lock I've handled will move inward when pressing hard enough on it. In my hands, due either to their to their thickness or my arthritis, simply gripping tightly doesn't tend to move the lockbar inward, but I can certainly effect that deliberately. As has been discussed at least a couple times earlier in this thread, by my estimation Shiros seem to have shallower angled lockbar ramps on their blade tangs and it's easier to move the lock further in with pressure than with other knives. Shiros also have shouldered lockbars (some refer to this feature as the "Shiro shelf") and I've wondered if the shallower blade ramp isn't a deliberate safety feature to allow deeper lock-up under hard use and the shouldered bar a positive overtravel stop on knives that generally have very early lockup.

I would also mention that none of my Shiro locks have moved significantly after considerable use and innumerable fidget flips other than the one knife I deliberately tweaked to get a little later.

I basically agree with marchone marchone and most any frame lock I've handled will move inward when pressing hard enough on it. In my hands, due either to their to their thickness or my arthritis, simply gripping tightly doesn't tend to move the lockbar inward, but I can certainly effect that deliberately. As has been discussed at least a couple times earlier in this thread, by my estimation Shiros seem to have shallower angled lockbar ramps on their blade tangs and it's easier to move the lock further in with pressure than with other knives. Shiros also have shouldered lockbars (some refer to this feature as the "Shiro shelf") and I've wondered if the shallower blade ramp isn't a deliberate safety feature to allow deeper lock-up under hard use and the shouldered bar a positive overtravel stop on knives that generally have very early lockup.

I would also mention that none of my Shiro locks have moved significantly after considerable use and innumerable fidget flips other than the one knife I deliberately tweaked to get a little later.

What concerns me the most, is the fact that even when I grab the knife in a way that my fingers don't touch the lock bar and do some work f.e. hard wood whittling the lock still goes to 100%. However, as mentioned earlier I'm trying to use this knife as often as possible to see what is going to happen.
Today Quantum is with me :)
YJcb2vJ.jpg

F forest. I had a 95T that the lock went 100% just on flipping it open and it remained rock solid, no play at all. I had it that way for a couple years without issue.

F forest. I'm the fourth of fifth owner of my rather old user Hati on washers. The knife came to me much like TRfromMT TRfromMT 's, going all-but-hard to the shoulder when opened, and also is rock-solid with no sign of play. In the three-and-a-half years of flips and regular use since I've had the knife, the slight space between the lockbar shoulder and blade when opening has remained the same.

Last edited:
What about the F-3 Shiro liner lock? They say the handle is thicker on this knife, which I think would be good. I am sure their liner locks would be top notch like their frame locks?

Back