The Bears' Den--Shirogorov Showcase

I saw your listing, Ray, and wondered why you were selling that one. I was even a bit tempted by it, but I've already got my F3 Python which is not going anywhere and am going to hold out for an NS if I add another F3. Glad you decided to keep it. :)

Last edited:
Shirogorov Ledokol (Icebreaker). This was copied from the USN forums:

Flights near the Polar circle. At the dawn of aviation, those who dared to fly those routes were daredevils that were challenging the unknown. Since then the planes became better, more technically sophisticated, and more reliable, the routes became better known, and we have learned how to predict the weather better. One thing remains the same – the spirit of adventure of those who navigate those routes today.

In the now-distant 1929 two ships were stranded by ice for the winter near North Cape (Chukotka peninsula) – one Soviet and one American. Both the USA and the USSR decided to send relief by air. The Soviet pilots did not manage to reach the stranded vessels. American pilot Ben Eielson has reached the cargo ship Nanuk. However, he never returned from his second flight to the vessel. Soviet Union mounted a search effort, but the remains of Ben and his mechanic were only found two months later. The bodies were delivered to the US by the Russian pilot Slepnev.

In June, 2018 out of respect for the memory of American airmen who have lost their lives in the rescue effort, and in order to honor the bravery of the Russian pilots who conducted the rescue flights in extremely difficult conditions, International Round-the-world Oceanic Flight launched from Samara. The flight was conducted in amphibious aircraft along the Polar circle. Overall length of the route was over 18,000 km. The trip took almost 1.5 months, and the expedition has flown through Alaska, Canada, Greenland, Iceland, Norway, Sweden, and Finland before returning safely to Russia.

Along with its participants, 9 knives from the workshop took that round-the-world trip. Among them was Ledokol (Icebreaker). Yes, that Ledokol – Sergey’s custom with massive 5mm-thick ZDP-189 blade.

Today, Ledokol limited run project knives will be made available on first come-first serve basis through Recon1 for our international collectors and through our website for our Russian collectors. The total run is comprised of 100 pcs. Given its history, it’s only natural that the Icebreakers will be distributed both in Russia and the USA.

1-1619211660.jpg

2-1619211661.jpg

The limited run Icebreaker has inherited a number of traits from its custom namesake. It is immediately apparent where the handle came from, with milled lines and anodization. Shirogorov knives logo is still located above and to the left of the pivot screw, and neatly cuts into the main milling pattern. What is not immediately apparent are the ‘rubbed out’ tips of the milling area, which cause the handle to appear as if it was duo-tone.

3-1619211662.jpg

4-1619211662.jpg

There are also immediately apparent differences between the limited run and the custom Icebreaker. One such difference is the blade – we have decided on a 4mm thick one, with 5/6ths grind, which is more fitting to a universal folder that is the limited run Icebreaker.

5-1619211662.jpg

M390 blade with jimping and milled out areas is a fine match for the pattern on the handle.

6-1619211662.jpg

Blade length remains unchanged at 95mm (3.74in).

7-1619211663.jpg

Thanks to a slimmer blade profile we could make the overall handle thickness and the backspacer thinner.

8-1619211663.jpg

Speaking of the backspacer – the jimping is finer (as compared to Sergey’s custom Icebreaker). Jimping on the spine of the blade, on the other hand, has been spaced out more. We have also paid extra attention to the pocket clip, and introduced a milled pattern on it – and this pattern matches that of the handle. It is still held in place by a hidden screw, just as on the original Icebreaker.

9-1619211663.jpg

The limited run Icebreakers have received our latest pivot screws with bigger heads.

10-1619211663.jpg

Other changes include the pattern of internal milling (which was taken from the latest generation of our production F95), and a different lockbar relief as compared to Sergey’s custom.

11-1619211663.jpg

The knife runs on MRBS Multi-Row Bearing System. We do reserve the DRRBS (Double-Row Roller Bearing Systems) for Sergey’s customs only.

Each limited run Icebreaker comes with a bead dedicated to the International Round-the-world Oceanic Flight of 2018. On one side the bead carries the image of the amphibious planes that the expedition was conducted on, and the other side carries the Shirogorov logo.

12-1619211664.jpg

13-1619211664.jpg

14-1619211664.jpg

15-1619211664.jpg

I recently picked up a G10 Hati. Looking forward to checking it out. Does yours have a G10 backspacer?
It has the same G10 as the show side slab. I asked Tom if there was an option to convert to standoffs, but he never got a clear answer from the Workshop. I'd be happier with a Ti backspacer to match the lock side slab and plan to ask after the availability of one of those.

It has the same G10 as the show side slab. I asked Tom if there was an option to convert to standoffs, but he never got a clear answer from the Workshop. I'd be happier with a Ti backspacer to match the lock side slab and plan to ask after the availability of one of those.
Mine is the same - red g10 matching backspacer/scale. I'm fine with it I just don't see many all g10

Back