The Bears' Den--Shirogorov Showcase

tres-shiros-BF.jpg

escalate.jpg

My first Shiro: Neon Ultra-Lite in Elmax.

I don't know much about the different versions, but I know I like the looks of the milling pattern more than the inlaid or plain versions. I have carried it around a bit but trying to avoid using it too heavily until I'm sure if I want to keep it.

51158208579_b16afdbd07_b.jpg

I don't know much about the different versions, but I know I like the looks of the milling pattern more than the inlaid or plain versions. I have carried it around a bit but trying to avoid using it too heavily until I'm sure if I want to keep it.

They are great little knives. Mine is in my pocket every day. Don't be afraid to use it. I will add another pic of mine when I get a chance.

Last edited:

I know how you feel. I recently purchased the 110, and frankly I'm at the inflection point: keep it and use it or sell it now. It really is too nice for me lol

Congrats on your first Shiro. I'm really pleased with my NeOn UL and have no desire to upgrade to a newer or "better" version of that model. I prefer the milled pattern slabs the plainness of the Zero's and also like open-back construction of the UL better than the Lite versions with backspacers. The single-sided lanyard attachment similar to the F95's is also a plus in my book. I'd probably rather have an Elmax UL like yours, but Shiro does a great job with their S30V and I've got no complaints about that steel in my original version.

I'd say it worked. Use any lube or do you run Shiros dry?
This one has a drop of oil as I didn't want it to rust. Was using it in the rain. Usually just run them dry.
FWIW, I run my Shiro's and most all my knives with W10 NanoOil in the pivots and a tiny dab of FirstLine grease on the detent ball. All smooth as glass with my largest Shiro (111 fullered CF) and smallest (NeOn UL) oddly enough my best free-droppers.

Any XL-handed folks here who have a Hation Zero? I've been casually considering one, but not sure how it'd fit my hand. What is the handle "grip area" measure?

Any XL-handed folks here who have a Hation Zero? I've been casually considering one, but not sure how it'd fit my hand. What is the handle "grip area" measure?
If you go back couple pages to my reply regarding NeOn sizing, then follow the link there back to my earlier post of March 27th you'll get a pretty good picture of the relative sizes of the two generations of NeOns along with some dimensional info,

I like my NeOn a lot, but it's a 3-and-a-half finger grip in my thick old carpenter's mitts.

If you go back couple pages to my reply regarding NeOn sizing, then follow the link there back to my earlier post of March 27th you'll get a pretty good picture of the relative sizes of the two generations of NeOns along with some dimensional info,

I like my NeOn a lot, but it's a 3-and-a-half finger grip in my thick old carpenter's mitts.
Thanks!
What's your hand measure across the palm? Mine is just under 4". (and 8" from wrist to tip of middle finger)

I'm also looking for actual knife measurements and/or photos-in-hand, if anyone has any. The grip area measurement in particular:

b2amho.jpg

Thanks!
What's your hand measure across the palm? Mine is just under 4". (and 8" from wrist to tip of middle finger)

I'm also looking for actual knife measurements and/or photos-in-hand, if anyone has any. The grip area measurement in particular:

b2amho.jpg
My hands are short fingered but broad and thick, so my palm is just under 4" across like yours. What L labdog indicates above would seem correct for the specific measurement you requested. To quote the measurements of the two iterations of the NeOn in the second post to which I referred you earlier--"I only have the NeOn Ultra-Lite which is dimensionally the same as the NeOn Lite, the original model. Those knives have 80 mm blades and 108 mm handles. The HatiOn and NL models are based on the newer NeOn Zero pattern which, aside from a few other changes, is marginally larger with an 85 mm blade and 110 mm handle."

The measure you requested is 3.75 inches.

My hands are short fingered but broad and thick, so my palm is just under 4" across like yours. What L labdog indicates above would seem correct for the specific measurement you requested. To quote the measurements of the two iterations of the NeOn in the second post to which I referred you earlier--"I only have the NeOn Ultra-Lite which is dimensionally the same as the NeOn Lite, the original model. Those knives have 80 mm blades and 108 mm handles. The HatiOn and NL models are based on the newer NeOn Zero pattern which, aside from a few other changes, is marginally larger with an 85 mm blade and 110 mm handle."
Thank you both! :thumbsup:

I hate to say it but my Hation is in the top drawer of my desk at work and only gets admired and fidgeted with. My favorite folder to date but feels almost too nice to carry. I know, it can take it and I should enjoy it, but I am not there yet. All my knives are technically users but I have too many to use..

Last edited:
Back