The Bears' Den--Shirogorov Showcase

I noticed subtle differences between the Lite and Ultra-Lite I ordered from Recon1. Obviously the blade steels are different and one has a back spacer and the other a standoff, but the Ultra-Lite has softer titanium, no divot on the lock bar and a lighter stonewash than the Lite.

There are definitely NeOns out there to be had, but for me it was a matter of price-point as I waited for the right knife to come along. I decided not to buy at the high end of retail or from someone who'd overpaid new. In the end, one showed up LNIB on the Exchange right in my sweet spot and I jumped on it. I'm glad I hung in there as I got just the right knife and saved about $250.

This is exactly it. Not really down to pay 700 to cover someone who spent a ton extra getting it imported from Russia and going through a bunch of currency conversion. I previously missed quite a few ultra lites that were really, really good prices but I was not down to spend 450~ on a single knife at that point in time. Kicking myself now, obviously.

I was able to snatch a like-new Hati with CF/M390 for an OK price and had to have it. I once bought a plain jane G10 and couldn't keep it because I really wanted the CF!!!

I love the details of this knife. I have an Inkosi CF and the Shiro is all that and more IMO.

The carbon fiber details, extra milling to reduce weight, beautiful pivots, amazing pocket clip, smoothness, blade to handle ratio, better steel,... Its a dream.

I have to take a good pic to post

I was able to snatch a like-new Hati with CF/M390 for an OK price and had to have it. I once bought a plain jane G10 and couldn't keep it because I really wanted the CF!!!

I love the details of this knife. I have an Inkosi CF and the Shiro is all that and more IMO.

The carbon fiber details, extra milling to reduce weight, beautiful pivots, amazing pocket clip, smoothness, blade to handle ratio, better steel,... Its a dream.

I have to take a good pic to post
Congrats on your pick-up, BBW! The Hati is a great knife and occupies its own niche in the pantheon of Bears. Mine is a G10 user, and, while I'd love to have a CF version like yours someday, I find my orange grip with the Hati milling pattern both attractive and great in hand.

The F95T Turtle has often been called the "Sebenza of Flippers", but I really think that equivalence belongs to the Hati. Running on PB washers as it does, it flips out a bit more discreetly than its BB brothers and shares that same "hydraulic smoothness" often attributed to CRKs.

You definitely need to get us some good pics of your new pick-up. In the meantime, here's a pic from my computer of my Orange Joy.

6eKx4jb.jpg

Reactions: BBW
https://flic.kr/p/25q72WP

ChazzyP the milling in my Hati is the same pattern as yours. Definitely great traction.
I can’t imagine a smoother flipper. I had a Bodega that was slightly smoother but it was on ceramic bearings, not washer!!!

I’ll try to figure out how to post a good pic in here. Tough from my phone as I’m not too savy.
Cheers

B BBW , I opened your pic link to Flickr. At the bottom right of the page are 4 icons. The 2nd from the left, the swoopy arrow, is the share link. Click on that, and in the dialog box that opens click on BB code. Copy and paste that into your message. Note that only the first line is actually the pic code.

I just did that from my laptop. Not sure how that'll work from your phone.

B BBW , I opened your pic link to Flickr. At the bottom right of the page are 4 icons. The 2nd from the left, the swoopy arrow, is the share link. Click on that, and in the dialog box that opens click on BB code. Copy and paste that into your message. Note that only the first line is actually the pic code.

I just did that from my laptop. Not sure how that'll work from your phone.

Sweet!!! Yeah it doesn’t give me the option on my phone for some reason :(
Thanks for the explanation and posting my pic!!!
More to come ;)
Cheers
https://flic.kr/p/243ggpY

Last edited:
Has anyone else notice differences in the knives sold in Russia and the ones sold in the US?
0824171209d.jpg

I bought 2 neon lites, one was for my son. I got the top one in the picture from Vlad in Russia. The bottom one from Recon1. You can see in the picture that the finish on the titanium is different. Also, the bottom one sold here is thicker. I didn't mic it, but it is noticeable. It's about 8 grams heavier, I did measure weight. The blade finish was different also, both M390.
Anyone else have the same model knife , one for import here and one for s
0824171209d.jpg
ale in Russia that have differences ?

The top one might be when production was lower volume and they came out with it not long and each piece was scrutinized more before being let out the factory door but they have been pumping out more knives nowadays.
Batch to batch even with same settings on the stonewash tumbler etc-- there will still be differences and also different workers working on and checking on the finishes. Even in the higher tiers-- same model of knives, I have seen differences in things like the color tone of blade and all those were before they had split the collaboration pieces into US vs Russian mkt.

Thanks A anvil_den . I can see those kind of differences, I was just a little surprised that there would be such a noticeable difference in the weight and thickness of the handles.
Still, both of the knives were near perfection in quality, head and shoulders above any other production knives I have. *(well, just a head above the likes of CRK).

B BBW , glad you got your pics up. Sweet Hati. I've got two CF Shiros--my Tabargan with custom marbled CF posted here again not long ago and my 111. When I was looking through your linked photo stream I saw your CF trio pic. Here's mine with knives by the same makers, but two of the models different.

4n72DSz.jpg

I recently sold my Ultra Lite for this guy, luckily I found it in Elmax as well! Bought a new pivot screw from Josh over at REK and the knife is basically brand new for a fraction of the price! I love Bladeforums.
That's an awful sweet knife, bro. I'm really tempted by the HatiOn, but don't think I could ever let my Ultra-Lite go.

yf1CV9T.jpg

xoewNYB.jpg

Sweet!!! I see you have good taste ;-)

I really dig that 111, what a beast!

B BBW , glad you got your pics up. Sweet Hati. I've got two CF Shiros--my Tabargan with custom marbled CF posted here again not long ago and my 111. When I was looking through your linked photo stream I saw your CF trio pic. Here's mine with knives by the same makers, but two of the models different.

4n72DSz.jpg

Sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I see you have good taste ;-)

That's an awful sweet knife, bro. I'm really tempted by the HatiOn, but don't think I could ever let my Ultra-Lite go.

yf1CV9T.jpg

xoewNYB.jpg
No doubt the Ultra Lite is a sweet little knife but just a couple of things rubbed me the wrong way. I’d really prefer a backspacer, larger size and the fact that my day to day operations at my job aren’t pristine, I felt like the Hati on bushings was the better choice(for me). I only own 7 “high quality” mid tech knives but I’d say I break them down about very 4 weeks just for TLC. I’ve dealt with bearings before and it’s not my favorite thing to maintance haha.

No doubt the Ultra Lite is a sweet little knife but just a couple of things rubbed me the wrong way. I’d really prefer a backspacer, larger size and the fact that my day to day operations at my job aren’t pristine, I felt like the Hati on bushings was the better choice(for me). I only own 7 “high quality” mid tech knives but I’d say I break them down about very 4 weeks just for TLC. I’ve dealt with bearings before and it’s not my favorite thing to maintance haha.
OK, I guess I got your knife wrong, then. I thought you had a HatiOn there, but you actually have a Hati. I've got one in orange G10 that's a work user. My F95T Turtle is a work user too, and I've never had an issue with having clean out the SRBS any more so than my washer knives. My primary work knives are mostly mid-techs and encompass those with BBs, PBWs, and Teflon washers too. I use them plenty hard on construction sites, but don't seem to muck up my pivots. I prefer open-back both for work and in general, but to each his own, for sure.

OK, I guess I got your knife wrong, then. I thought you had a HatiOn there, but you actually have a Hati. I've got one in orange G10 that's a work user. My F95T Turtle is a work user too, and I've never had an issue with having clean out the SRBS any more so than my washer knives. My primary work knives are mostly mid-techs and encompass those with BBs, PBWs, and Teflon washers too. I use them plenty hard on construction sites, but don't seem to muck up my pivots. I prefer open-back both for work and in general, but to each his own, for sure.
Yeah sorry man, I figured the size comparison to the hand would have given it away. For some reason the little single stand-off just seemed rushed. I guess I’m a perfect world I would have to agree that the open back design is “better”. But at the Ultra Lite price point I felt it left much to be desired. If I’m not splitting hairs though..I would have loved to keep it just to say I have one, but sadly it was used to find the Hati as stated earlier. All in all Shiro makes an insanely beautiful flipper that very few come in competition with! :cool:

Yeah sorry man, I figured the size comparison to the hand would have given it away. For some reason the little single stand-off just seemed rushed. I guess I’m a perfect world I would have to agree that the open back design is “better”. But at the Ultra Lite price point I felt it left much to be desired. If I’m not splitting hairs though..I would have loved to keep it just to say I have one, but sadly it was used to find the Hati as stated earlier. All in all Shiro makes an insanely beautiful flipper that very few come in competition with! :cool:
I was able to get my UL at a great price, bought on the Exchange from a member who got it new from the US dealer, so he didn't overpay and I ended up under 5 bills LNIB. I wouldn't have been happy at 700 plus, so I just waited for the right one to come along.

I was able to get my UL at a great price, bought on the Exchange from a member who got it new from the US dealer, so he didn't overpay and I ended up under 5 bills LNIB. I wouldn't have been happy at 700 plus, so I just waited for the right one to come along.
Funny I did just that, I bought from “he who not shall be named” the US dealer..lol. For 550 and I sold it to a guy for exactly what I paid. Your comment though make me wonder if I could have gotten more for the knife? Not saying I would do it..but I was amazed that the UL only lasted 4 minutes on the market before I had funds in my PayPal haha.

Last edited:
Funny I did just that, I bought from “he who not shall be named” the US dealer..lol. For 550 and I sold it to a guy for exactly what I paid. Your comment though make me wonder if I could have gotten more for the knife? Not saying I would do it..but I was amazed that the UL only lasted 4 minutes on the market before I had funds in my PayPal haha.
I don't think the one I bought would have lasted much longer had I not stumbled across it soon after it was posted. Shiro prices are all over the place, with our un-named US dealer the most reasonable here for new and a number of "Russian dealers who shall not be named either" just ridiculously high. The knives are expensive for sure, even at a good price, so to me it's not a question of value, but one of appreciation. After that, it's just a question of how much you're willing to pay the piper.

Back