The Bears' Den--Shirogorov Showcase

Nice edge and good write-up, @TRfromMT . I really like your blue Turtle and love my blue 95R, both ours with Vanax 37 and my R with its 3.5mm blade stock.

I've had my EdgePro for a while now, but have finally gotten very comfortable and much better with it. I sometimes regretted not get a "clamped" system but now am fine with the more "freehand" nature of keeping the blade steady and consistent on the sharpening bed and appreciate being able to move it easily when I want, either to check progress or to concentrate on a certain area.

I started with the basic package (220, 440, 1000 ceramic hones plus 3000 polishing tapes & blank). I later added 4 grits of their narrow width ceramics plus a tape blank for re-curves. Subsequently I got their fine and super-fine diamond hones--not the currently available ones for steel knives, but their older ones meant for ceramic knives. They still work great for starting a more extensive re-sharpening or doing a re-profile.

Anyway, here's a fresh pic of my F95R, which is today's carry and another of the edge (not a great pic), which is just a SharpMaker touch-up of the 20 DPS WE edge from the original owner. Right now that edge is an A- and after all this sharpening talk I'm tempted to get out the EP and have at it in pursuit of that A+ ideal. :rolleyes:

M7JvzXu.jpg

okb1Sf2.jpg

Hey Guys!
As promised...my shiros finally arrived a few days before Christmas, and i was super busy so didnt get a photo up till now.
The bottom Shiro is a Hati on PB washers...love it. Got Josh @razor-edge-knives to put some jimping on the blade, and i ano'd the ti bronze myself. :) Anyone else moded a Shiro yet?
ENJOY! and HAPPY NEW YEAR!
IMG_1059.JPG IMG_1060.JPG

Last edited:
I'd imagine as friendly as any framelock with immovable pocketclip. There are still a few up for sale at Recon 1, better move fast

I'd imagine as friendly as any framelock with immovable pocketclip. There are still a few up for sale at Recon 1, better move fast
JB in SC JB in SC and I have been PMing about this and other NeOn related stuff. The clip is one thing, but trying the operation on my UL, opening and closing lefty, it works just super. My little guy is all tuned up, flips perfectly, the flipper tab falling perfectly on my left thumb nail when unlocking, and the blade drops shut smoothly as soon as I move my digit out of the way. :D

ChazzyP ChazzyP , the fact that it did not occur to me that I have both a left hand and a NeOn Ultra-Lite has made me sad on this gloomy New England day. How was I unaware of this?
Knowing you as I do, CPP CPP , my guess is that you realized you had the UltraLite before it occurred to you that you have a left hand as well. :p

Those pics of your Turtle are absolutely stunning, aleforme aleforme . Nice pick-up of a sweet knife. :)

My F95T is older--as in pre-R series--with SRBS, but not of the same vintage as yours as mine has jimping and M390. I have two Bears in S30V, though--the NeOn UL that's being discussed here currently and my F3 Python--and Shirogorov does a great job with that steel. It takes a wicked keen edge easily and keeps it much better than iterations of the same by other makers. It comes back great, too, with stropping or a light touch-up with The ShrpMaker fine or ultra-fine rods.

I've mentioned before too how my SRBS Turtle flips much more authoritatively than its MRBS F95R brother as well as being more drop-shutty. On the other hand, the MRBS knife is smoother, and flips easily with less pressure and a lighter detent.

ChazzyP ChazzyP many thanks for answering my questions :thumbsup:

CPP CPP the right hand clip is not an issue for me, I was more concerned about the operation as a lefty. My NeOn Ultra Lite will be here Monday :D

Last edited:

I don't know about left-handed models but I'm amazed at the inventory there now. They have several F3s and F3Rs.

Here is a video of me somewhat awkwardly opening the NeOn Ultra-Lite with my left hand. It's easy enough and a real-life lefty would likely have more dexterity making it even easier. I do have a small cut on left index finger now.
Never mind... I can't post it

Back