The Bears' Den--Shirogorov Showcase

Just picked up a 111 to add to my work knife schedule. I think it will work in nicely.
Family portraits of 111s next to 95s and NeOns like yours make me ache. As a Shiro newbie, I picked up an Elmax NeOn UL and an M390 Turtle so far this year and I know a 111 will be next (probably this year) but it hasn’t happened yet. It’s the only thing left on my “Grails to buy” list, so the urge is getting stronger with each passing month. Sadly, 111’s aren't common in the Exchange and I’m trying to hold off and avoid paying full retail (again). The magnetic draw is getting stronger and my ability to maintain my self-control is being more strongly challenged as time passes. Oh well, the crunch will pass one of these months.

Great family portrait, BTW...

I hear you Stumpy, just bought a Grimsmo, got a Rockstead, now Im gonna focus on my Shiro collection, after getting the 95F micarta as a test shiro, I know this is the knife for me, now the 95T, and a F3R are on my radar, gotta admit I have a thing for Spydies too.

xQCbA6Y.jpg

that was far from my point or what i was trying to do pharmagator, sorry it came off that way.

Then I regret taking it that way... Sometimes folks (me) get an idea in their head and then argue against it... Attacking a "straw man" I believe it is called... So it seems that my diatribe was uncalled for... Sorry to impugn your motive...

Mike

At any rate got my F3, g10 version, in today and its quite nice.

The pocket clip even with the area cut out for it into the scale is super super tight, I'm slowly bending it to make it possible to put into a pocket one handed. Better too tight than too loose imo. I got it used but its like new and if it wasn't for a small stretch of the edge that was rolled i wouldn't be able to tell it was used at all and that is an easy fix later tonight with my edge pro and i expect it to cut very well.

Now this is a large knife but the sub 5oz weight is really nice and notable as this is a one bear line there is no extra work or milling done to take weight off and it seems like it should weight more. The g10 is grippy but smooth, the only sharp edge is the edge. The contouring is great and the knife sits in the hand so well. Its thicker than what i tend to go for but its not heavy for it and it fits in the hand very well. G10 on such an expensive knife is a little off putting but I gotta say i like it. Id like to get a set of those olive micarta scales. The blade finish is really good, its got a opaque sheen that's just real pleasant to look at. Its their entry level finish from what I've been reading but its a better finish than almost everything ive gotten to handle. It sits well with other folders i have had that have a notable blade finish, the spyderco slysz bowie, gareth bull shamwari, rockstead hizen, CRK sebenza. Im not sure if gimping or a crowned spine is something id like to see here. My thumb doesn't reach that far down the spine so gimping is something id rarely use here and my hand isnt screaming for more grip. So why bother? I like seeing touches like crowned spines so this isn't something im faulting the knife for not having and a lack of crown has never been a problem. I have yet to find crowning to be a feature that my thumb was thankful for. It's not a real let down here and im not sure its a design element that would fit with the rest of the knife.

The action is what you would expect and falls shut, i can get get it to not open all the way but its not easy to do. Its impressive how soft you can flip it and it will still open. I can already see myself sitting around and flipping for hours. Im not sure if its the best but its certainly up there and lives up to what i was expecting.

Seems to be a very well executed knife that didnt forget its a tool which is right up my alley

Then I regret taking it that way... Sometimes folks (me) get an idea in their head and then argue against it... Attacking a "straw man" I believe it is called... So it seems that my diatribe was uncalled for... Sorry to impugn your motive...

Mike
Its quite alright.

I took some very bold assumptions for a person you've never met and some very general life speculation. It was very upfront and typically not the kind of talk you lead with and not what i tend to do in real life, but the internet makes it easier to be a jackass in that way. I'll always appreciate someone talking to me in a very real way and checking me so to speak.

Also i was really happy to see your tools use and what that meant to you and what it was worth.

I plan on adding an F3R next, nice to see you like it so much, as for the pocket clip, I have the same problem on my 95F, its a two handed pocketed knife but it comes out easily, is there a way to fix this guys?

I plan on adding an F3R next, nice to see you like it so much, as for the pocket clip, I have the same problem on my 95F, its a two handed pocketed knife but it comes out easily, is there a way to fix this guys?
Use it frequently and be patient. And, don't deliberately attempt to loosen the pocket clip up as in my experience that will simply leave a gap between the contact point of the clip and the handle as opposed to making it more flexible.

My first Shiro and the only Shiro I ever have (and likely will) ever want. Hati on PB washers.

6kGPtJN.jpg

rKwjYoe.jpg

Came with quite a toothy s30v stock edge which I have sharpened into a laser beam.

Edit: I lied. Now that I think about it I would also like that Shiro with the Soviet flag on it. (I think it is a 95 of some sort)

I took mine off and bent it very slightly over a few tries. I didnt want to push it into the g10. Its very stiff and its hard to tell if your bending it at all. Itll take some force but just go a little bit at a time and it should work. Right now mines still very stiff but i can one hand it into the pocket. Ill probably keep it as is for now.

I found the factory edge at 21 dps, and have had a couple touchups in the past month or two. I worked it down to 20 tonight on the Wicked Edge. I'll play here for awhile...

View attachment 1136433
looking good, im throwing mine on the edge pro tonight, theres a small dull spot from the last owner and i didnt have time to get to it before work today

Zero back in stock at the main U.S. distributor. Toot, toot 'cos won't last long!

Gone in less than 20 mins.

Last edited:
Back