The Bears' Den--Shirogorov Showcase

How thick is the blade stock on the Zero? Could not find it anywhere...
From Tom's announcement over at USN:
Technical data:
Blade length: 85mm (3.35in), with cutting edge length of 90mm (3.5in)
Blade thickness: 3.5mm (0.14in)
Handle length: 110mm (4.3in)
OAL length: 195mm (7.7in)
Pivot: two-row MRBS
Weight: 84 grams (2.96oz)
Locking mechanism: frame lock

Thanks... so in a way this and the F95 Slim are actually quite similar
That's likely so, especially when considering the Nudist appearance of those two knives, but, having neither the Slim nor a Zero, my opinion regarding cutting geometry is based on my F95R being somewhat rare with a 3.5mm blade.

I did some comparisons using my digital caliper between my older SRBS F95 Turtle with its stock FFG 4 mm blade and the 5/6ths 3.5 grind of the R, and made some interesting discoveries. Firstly, the blade stock, as one might expect, measured all-but-exactly to spec. Secondly, however, when measuring the two blades at comparable points vertically (where the 5/6ths flat of the 3.5 begins to taper into the primary grind) the 4 mm FFG blade was already to down 3.5 there. Thirdly, when measuring horizontally from the handle forward at similarly comparable points where the 5/6 flat meets the primary grind at the blade spine the 4 mm blade was actually thinner there. Sighting down the two blades forward, the FFG blade appears to approximate a distal taper (though not a true one) while the full dimension of the 3.5 blade continues forward of the flat before tapering more radically to the point.

One advantage of thinner stock in the Slim is that allows the space between the slabs to be narrower and, along with slightly thinner handle slab stock, makes for a knife that is slimmer indeed in pocket and hand. Interestingly, the difference between my two knives (again SRBS Turtle 4mm and F95R 3.5 mm) is virtually non-existent, with the R actually just the tiniest bit thicker in both dimensions, the difficult of measuring the Turtle's exterior notwithstanding.

It strikes me that, in terms of cutting geometry, the only true advantage in terms of slicing and piercing for the thinner blade stock as ground is at full penetration of the blade where the relief of the flat at 3.5 mm reduces additional drag and any tendency of the blade to jam in whatever material is being cut. Of course, this is something of an advantage, particularly for slicing, I find the 5/6ths grind to be quite attractive, and do enjoy that my particular F95R is something other than the usual.

No Slim here and no Zero. Just my F95R 3.5 mm in Vanax 37 and NeOn UL in S30V, but still very pleased with and enjoying both. :D

O7x24yQ.jpg

ZPPsAzp.jpg

PSU2001 PSU2001 , exactly what are you looking to accomplish with a "spa" treatment. Internal cleaning, improving action, cosmetic improvement? Is the 95 in question the one you have on the Exchange at WTS and WTB?

If you have the black COA from R1 they might send it back to the Workshop for you, but that would likely involve a considerable turnaround time (months?). You should ask them if that's what you have in mind.

Josh at Razor Edge Knives is familiar with Shiros and would be a good guy to work on your knife, but he is always busy and would give you some idea of turnaround depending on what you want.

If you just want to open, clean, lube, it's really not that hard--you just need to be careful with the bearings and put things back together in the order they came apart. I and others have posted pics and various how-to's here in the Den--just search back and there's advice here that'll help you out.

Last edited:
PSU2001 PSU2001 , exactly what are you looking to accomplish with a "spa" treatment. Internal cleaning, improving action, cosmetic improvement? Is the 95 in question the one you have on the Exchange at WTS and WTB?

If you have the black COA from R1 they might send it back to the Workshop for you, but that would likely involve a considerable turnaround time (months?). You should ask them if that's what you have in mind.

Josh at Razor Edge Knives is familiar with Shiros and would be a good guy to work on your knife, but he is always busy and would give you some idea of turnaround depending on what you want.

If you just want to open, clean, lube, it's really not that hard--you just need to be careful with the bearings and put things back together in the order they came apart. I and others have posted pics and various how-to's here in the Den--just search back and there's advice here that'll help you out.
Thanks for the help, Clean, lube, etc is exactly what I want I will contact Josh, I
appreciate your help. It is the F95 I have posted, more than likely will be keeping it.

Don't think it is allowed, CPP CPP . I just reported it as "Selling clones" so we'll see what the mods do about it.

Don't think it is allowed, CPP CPP . I just reported it as "Selling clones" so we'll see what the mods do about it.
Any idea on the lockbar insert looking screw in the above picture? I assume it's just there to appear more Shiroy

Can't go back and look now, CPP CPP , as the mods took down the sales post and pics as well they should have. Hard to believe that a member of three years with many posts and feedbacks didn't know better. :rolleyes:

The dude said that knife was a frame lock, but there was no evidence of a lockbar on the exterior in his pic. That screw didn't make an sense to me, but googling the name brought up one YouTube review and sales threads from the usual scummy online vendors for clones and counterfeits. It is indeed a frame lock, so the screw holding the insert does make sense. What doesn't make sense is us spending any time talking about this :poop:. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

There are some pix of Shiro/CRK collaborations in the “Graphic Impindas” thread in the CRK forum. One of them appears to be a 95 with the CRK Big Dipper Night Sky graphic. I think it might be the single most beautiful Shiro--or for that matter, even flipper in general--that I’ve ever seen. It’s a good thing I’m not at the show today. Any hope I might have had to stick with some semblance of self-control or a budget would have disappeared like a puff of cigarette smoke in a hurricane.

That shallow duckfoot propriety screw on that collaboration kind of bothers me, but the rest of the knife looks great.

How nudist feel comparing to regular 95. I want to get one of them. Is there any difference in action. Both on mrbs.

Thanks

Back