The Bears' Den--Shirogorov Showcase

That shallow duckfoot propriety screw on that collaboration kind of bothers me, but the rest of the knife looks great.
A very good point. Will whoever buys this one need another special $300 Shiro pen or do they include the tool with the knife?

That shallow duckfoot propriety screw on that collaboration kind of bothers me, but the rest of the knife looks great.
If I remember correctly, the duckfoot screw is on the custom prototypes but once the limited run of 200 is released they come with the usual "pacman" screw. Unless, of course, it's a Sinkevich collab in which case it comes with his proprietary screws. The Hokkaido did come with a reversed body screw for which no tool is offered.

Just got myself a Neon Zero, interestingly different than my Neon Light
Neon_zpsqrttjoia.jpg

Neon%20sm_zpsad92delc.jpg

Just in today as I was next in line on Shirogorov's NL World Tour passaround which is being run through Tom over at the USN Shiro pages. The knife has been to Singapore, S Africa, Australia, Alaska, down the West Coast, to Las Vegas, and came to me from Maryland. It will soon head to Europe and I know knoefz knoefz is eagerly awaiting it in the Netherlands, though I'm not sure it doesn't have one more US stop after me.

I'll be back with some thoughts and impressions after I carry and use it a bit.

C33XiQp.jpg

TcWq9Rz.jpg

A fair number of Denizens own or have become interested in Cheburkov knives. I've posted a couple here alongside Shiros and others have mentioned theirs, but it's always seemed a bit inappropriate to have much discussion of another maker's knives here. As I just received my third knife from Workshop Cheburkova, I've been plastering the forums with pictures and was thinking it would be great to have a thread dedicated to Alexander's creations, hence The Cheburkov Channel which I started this morning. I'd love to see your knives and thoughts over there, and a little love and support for another excellent Russian maker. Just for a one-time teaser here....

Yad0hyx.jpg

It will soon head to Europe and I know knoefz knoefz is eagerly awaiting it in the Netherlands, though I'm not sure it doesn't have one more US stop after me.

I'll be back with some thoughts and impressions after I carry and use it a bit.

Lol, I've been waiting long enough for sure :D But to be honest, would mind if it arrived end of august, beginning September as during July/August I'll be travelling a bit. Not sure how many stops in the US or in the EU before my number comes up.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy having this knife for a while, I'm exited to see how you like it and how you feel it compares to the other gems in your collection.

Day Two with the NL World Tour knife hasn't called for any real cutting tasks, but that hasn't stopped me from a fair amount of in-and-out-of-poccket action, fondling, and flipping.

While the F95L, is an entry level One Bear model with more modest features than the current R series knives, it is in many ways comparable to my pre-R F95T. While my 2016-vintage Turtle has a jimped, M390 blade and the NL non-jimped Elmax, both knives are SRBS and lacking in interior, weight-reducing milling. The NL is almost imperceptibly lighter due to the mill-outs for the Micarta inlays, which are modestly grippy, feel pleasant in hand, and add a bit of girth to the handle making it more palm-filling. The flipping action seems identical between the two knives--quick and authoritative--and while not lacking in smoothness, the overall sense is more that of free-ness, especially when closing.

My MRBS F95R, by contrast, flips more easily, lightly, and smoothly. All three knives free-drop closed when properly tuned and maintained, though the NL came to me very drop-shutty. On the one hand it's probably a little cleaner inside than my two 95's, and on the other I found that the pivot screw was a bit loose, making the knife freer, but also just a tiny bit off-center. Now that's not a bad thing, as far as I'm concerned, as I don't care much for LocTite and my other 95's are without it as well. I'd rather take a second to adjust the PacMan pivot screw with my thumbnail just a taste if it drifts to re-center the blade or get the action just so, than to apply and wait for LocTite to dry, later having to fight it to disassemble.

More later, but here's the NL resting on some spare Meranti decking out front of the shop this afternoon.

z0X9SaD.jpg

z7dycuw.jpg

I still haven’t stopped carrying this knife since I bought it. I’m very happy with it.

i-trMfchn-X2.jpg
One of those days I hope to have one of these. Stunning. It’s a case of the right deal at the right time but you guys posting pics like this make that right time harder and harder to avoid.

One of those days I hope to have one of these. Stunning. It’s a case of the right deal at the right time but you guys posting pics like this make that right time harder and harder to avoid.
I wish I would have bought it much sooner than I did. It would have saved me a lot of money spent on other knives. It is now doing that, so I’m not complaining.

Day Two with the NL World Tour knife hasn't called for any real cutting tasks, but that hasn't stopped me from a fair amount of in-and-out-of-poccket action, fondling, and flipping.

While the F95L, is an entry level One Bear model with more modest features than the current R series knives, it is in many ways comparable to my pre-R F95T. While my 2016-vintage Turtle has a jimped, M390 blade and the NL non-jimped Elmax, both knives are SRBS and lacking in interior, weight-reducing milling. The NL is almost imperceptibly lighter due to the mill-outs for the Micarta inlays, which are modestly grippy, feel pleasant in hand, and add a bit of girth to the handle making it more palm-filling. The flipping action seems identical between the two knives--quick and authoritative--and while not lacking in smoothness, the overall sense is more that of free-ness, especially when closing.

My MRBS F95R, by contrast, flips more easily, lightly, and smoothly. All three knives free-drop closed when properly tuned and maintained, though the NL came to me very drop-shutty. On the one hand it's probably a little cleaner inside than my two 95's, and on the other I found that the pivot screw was a bit loose, making the knife freer, but also just a tiny bit off-center. Now that's not a bad thing, as far as I'm concerned, as I don't care much for LocTite and my other 95's are without it as well. I'd rather take a second to adjust the PacMan pivot screw with my thumbnail just a taste if it drifts to re-center the blade or get the action just so, than to apply and wait for LocTite to dry, later having to fight it to disassemble.

More later, but here's the NL resting on some spare Meranti decking out front of the shop this afternoon.

z0X9SaD.jpg

z7dycuw.jpg
So glad you posted this because this is the exact knife I am mulling over. You describe the action as authoritative which translates in my mind to strong detent. And I am becoming less and less a fan of super strong detents. Being a bit of a fidgeter I find strong detents kill my finger rather quickly. Might have to reconsider. Shame no way to actually handle one of these for 5 minutes before buying. Come on virtual reality shopping!

So glad you posted this because this is the exact knife I am mulling over. You describe the action as authoritative which translates in my mind to strong detent. And I am becoming less and less a fan of super strong detents. Being a bit of a fidgeter I find strong detents kill my finger rather quickly. Might have to reconsider. Shame no way to actually handle one of these for 5 minutes before buying. Come on virtual reality shopping!

My F95L does not have a strong detent at all.

I can see where my description of the NL and Turtle's flipping actions is misleading. Neither knife has what I would describe as an overly-strong detent--they're neither tight nor are they anywhere toward the mushy side. I find good or "authoritative" flipping action to be a product well-designed geometry/mechanics and not resistant detents. That's the reason I've not accumulated nor held onto a lot of ZTs--they "flip out like a rocket", but in my opinion only do so due to extremely tight detents. My measures of good flipping action are, one, how easily can I depress the tab and get a successfully full flip, and, two, can I pinch grip the blade spine and open the knife like a slip-joint? Both the WT F95NL and my Turtle pass both tests with flying colors.

Authoritative to me means there's no mistaking when the tang cut-out hits the stop pin. SRBS knives seem to me freer and faster while MRBS knives offer smoothness as their defining characteristic, not that the former are in anyway lacking in that. :cool:

Back