The Beer Scout Knife

Heirphoto, I would probably send that one back. That may be a little too much character.

Heirphoto, I would probably send that one back. That may be a little too much character.

I had asked the dealer for a "fair amount" of char and explained that some of the pics of the charred covers on the GEC website look no different than the plain Beer Barrel version. I think this goes way beyond a "fair amount". There is a difference between dark char and missing, fragile, damaged wood (at least to me). I understand some want a really scarred up mess but that is not what I asked for.

Someone on another group missed out on the run, saw the pics and this did not bother him as he wanted a user so he bought it for my exact cost and I did not have to pay return shipping to the dealer. I am disappointed that I won't have a charred but did find an Ancient Barlow with scratted bone earlier this week so am fine. I am not a collector, just wanted a user or two, one small, one medium. If I like the Barlow I will likely sell my ebony single blade Scout and get a Cody Scout in ebony for my medium knife and just forget about the Beer Scout. All of the others will be a slimmer carry anyway which is better in the end.

These are so gorgeous. I'm hoping to snag one of these in February for my birthday. Wood or acrylic, I would be more than happy to carry one every day.

I love this pattern.

Some BS...
7d99cac72c0bfa9bc9eddf569de4ca2a.jpg
3e51d5b4a485675bf8f79705a7d30041.jpg
e32a6c666210601dcfeda4498326b322.jpg

Damnit, I think this thread finally talked me into my first traditional :) Thinking of trying to add it as an extra Christmas present to myself. If it doesn't break forum rules, any of their distributors you would recommend that would be able to have it delivered by Fri? And what is the consensus scale choice for the non-serial versions: bone, acryllic, or the barrel oak?

Last edited:
Damnit, I think this thread finally talked me into my first traditional :) Thinking of trying to add it as an extra Christmas present to myself. If it doesn't break forum rules, any of their distributors you would recommend that would be able to have it delivered by Fri? And what is the consensus scale choice for the non-serial versions: bone, acryllic, or the barrel oak?

I opted for the maroon micarta on mine, because I intended for it to be a user. Not that wood or bone can't be users, I just didn't want to worry about dinging up or cracking the scales.

As for getting one before Friday, with the mail volume this week, it's going to be a close call. Better hurry!

Deinos, in my opinion, I think the Maroon Micarta is the best looking of the run. I have a beer barrel because it's just too good of a story, but I think the Micarta is the best Beer Scout. If you are looking at the all steel Scouts, I'd take the Ebony over all of the caplifters. I just wish the Ebony had brass liners.

Deinos, in my opinion, I think the Maroon Micarta is the best looking of the run. I have a beer barrel because it's just too good of a story, but I think the Micarta is the best Beer Scout. If you are looking at the all steel Scouts, I'd take the Ebony over all of the caplifters. I just wish the Ebony had brass liners.

That maroon does look nice. Kinda partial to wood and acryllic for story factor too.

Just go to the Great Eastern Cutlery website and look at their dealers list . I expect any dealer that has a Beer Scout can get it to you within 4 days . I have worked with 4 or 5 of them and they were all great . Handle covers are a personal choice and I prefer bone or wood , but there are many people who like the Micartas .

Harry

I gave the Micarta one as a gift to my wife's cousin and he absolutely loved it. Can't go wrong with the Micarta.

Guys what is that white-ish variant of beer scout, or is it ivory-ish? I like that full name on shield option, not that shieldless one with small nail nick...
Is there any place that I can buy new/mint one?

Best looking that is available right now is that Golden Ale imho, but I'd like that pale one...

Just got #223, Check out the gouge/chip in the cover. Sharp edge on the gouge, finish peeling up adjacent to it. Deep ding between the pin and the bolster and the dark area by the nail nick is all hollow underneath.

View attachment 677482

View attachment 677481

Yeah, that's well overdone, close to charcoal :D Or the victim of rodent or insect attack!:eek::eek: Glad you were able to move it on.

Back