The Beer Scout Knife

Except you wouldn't be able too.

Seems that they were granted the trade mark for "Beer Scout Knife" and all was going well till some one; perhaps best described as a curtain twitching pants wetter objected to the name.

Fur and feathers flew; feelings were hurt (I"m presuming here) and GEC abandoned the trademark vs. going toe to toe with the Boy Scouts of America in court.

I can understand the principal of defending a trademark but this particular complaint seems a bit too mealy mouthed to stomach.
The Boy Scouts of America sicked their lawyers on GEC, for use of the Beer Scout name. From what I understand, there will be no more Beer Scouts. :(
Isn't this the second go around on the Boy Scouts rumor?
No rumour, someone posted the actual trademark application decision
Whats trade marked

Beer?

Scout?

or

Knife?

:D
o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

Just following up on thread, not specifically to you Charlie. The BSA is very protective of official Boy Scout Knives. Beer Scout Knife infringed on this trademark and they asked/demanded GEC to no longer use nomenclature. Google it. Also note there are no longer any Beer Scout Knife production illustrations on GEC website. I posted the Link to the case several weeks back.

As I told Taylor, the club is not dead, just more exclusive:cool:

...my apologies to posting issues...I log on during my commute home as a way to unwind...but I go in and out of internet service which wreaks havoc on my ability to post. :(

Last edited:
Word mark: BEER SCOUT KNIFE
Status/Status Date:
ABANDONED - AFTER INTER-PARTES DECISION
1/31/2018
Serial Number: 87344877
Filing Date: 2/22/2017
Registration Number: NOT AVAILABLE
Registration Date: NOT AVAILABLE
Goods and Services: Folding knives; Household knives; Hunting knives; Pocket knives; Sport knives
Mark Description: NOT AVAILABLE
Type Of Mark: TradeMark
Published For Opposition Date: 7/18/2017
Last Applicant/Owner: GREAT EASTERN CORP
TITUSVILLE, PA 16354

Last edited:
Word mark: BEER SCOUT KNIFE
Status/Status Date:
ABANDONED - AFTER INTER-PARTES DECISION
1/31/2018
Serial Number: 87344877
Filing Date: 2/22/2017
Registration Number: NOT AVAILABLE
Registration Date: NOT AVAILABLE
Goods and Services: Folding knives; Household knives; Hunting knives; Pocket knives; Sport knives
Mark Description: NOT AVAILABLE
Type Of Mark: TradeMark
Published For Opposition Date: 7/18/2017
Last Applicant/Owner: GREAT EASTERN CORP
TITUSVILLE, PA 16354

I’m not sure what this means

I’m not sure what this means

It means GEC stopped pursuing rights to the "Beer Scout Knife" trademark after having a legal discussion with another party. The other party was the Boy Scouts of America who objected to the use of the name "Beer Scout Knife" by GEC as it infringed on their trademarked "Boy Scout Knife." Cutlery companies pay licensing fees to the BSA to call their knives official "Boy Scout Knives" and it is likely for these reasons rather than any moral objection to drinking beer that BSA objected to "Beer Scout Knives." Nothing to do with milk toasts or cry babies, this was likely a purely financial issue to the BSA. As I mentioned above, the legal "threat" was evidently sufficient enough for GEC to pull all the images on their website that showed "Beer Scout Knives." We all knew when we bought these knives that there was a little jab at Boy Scout Knives and that was a great part of the fun....a scout knife for adults (though full disclosure, I cut my teeth at beer drinking while a Boy Scout!!).

It means GEC stopped pursuing rights to the "Beer Scout Knife" trademark after having a legal discussion with another party. The other party was the Boy Scouts of America who objected to the use of the name "Beer Scout Knife" by GEC as it infringed on their trademarked "Boy Scout Knife." Cutlery companies pay licensing fees to the BSA to call their knives official "Boy Scout Knives" and it is likely for these reasons rather than any moral objection to drinking beer that BSA objected to "Beer Scout Knives." Nothing to do with milk toasts or cry babies, this was likely a purely financial issue to the BSA. As I mentioned above, the legal "threat" was evidently sufficient enough for GEC to pull all the images on their website that showed "Beer Scout Knives." We all knew when we bought these knives that there was a little jab at Boy Scout Knives and that was a great part of the fun....a scout knife for adults (though full disclosure, I cut my teeth at beer drinking while a Boy Scout!!).

Ok gotcha. Makes sense now, well as much as it can. I never thought Boy Scout when I got my first beer scout but I was not into traditional at the time and was not aware of an official Boy Scout knife. I also thought the scout was a type of knife.

Oh well. I carried my favorite today:

1mTPWRh.jpg

I've posted my Beer Scout in many threads but not this one until now.
I love everything about this knife. It was my first straight edged blade, my first GEC and my first really high quality traditional style knife in general.

The closest knife I'd consider to be a grail of mine is a Beer Scout with Sunbrite covers. I've always got my eyes peeled for one of those.

Even if they don't call it a Beer Scout, I hope GEC eventually releases the same configuration of blades on their 14 pattern, or something in the 3" closed realm.

Jry8XqO.jpg

I've posted my Beer Scout in many threads but not this one until now.
I love everything about this knife. It was my first straight edged blade, my first GEC and my first really high quality traditional style knife in general.

The closest knife I'd consider to be a grail of mine is a Beer Scout with Sunbrite covers. I've always got my eyes peeled for one of those.

Even if they don't call it a Beer Scout, I hope GEC eventually releases the same configuration of blades on their 14 pattern, or something in the 3" closed realm.

Jry8XqO.jpg
Yeah the Sunbrite colour really seems to just have something like you'd see in an 50s-60s knife. Like it was in an old Popular Mechanics article about new camping implements.

Back