The best 7 inch Busse Kin Chopper?

I have had the Rodent 7 for a few years now; it's an absolute beast in the outdoors: good weight, good flat spine for batoning and 7-inch seems to be the sweet spot for backpacking choppers.

However, my main complaint is with the handle, with such a flat top part that has nothing that contours with the palm of my hand, it always tends to roll a bit when I use it to chop wood at an angle. The G10 option I got didn't help with grip either.

Can someone please recommend a perfect 6 to 7-inch chopper? INFI or SR steel are both acceptable:D

Cheers!

My personal favorites are the Chopweiler and fat BG FSH, but for backpacking I’d probably take my B8LE or TGULB, the “mid-sized” Bussekin I have are more in the 7-8” range.

My top performing all-around chopper is the BOOM Parang. A shortened version in .22-.25” stock might be interesting.

For a smaller chopper i love my mega ratweiler.. bit longer than 7" and its a heavy blade.. but ive carried that thing on some stupid high steep ascented hikes and never cared about that extra few grams of weight. If your worried about it just fast the day before your trek and lose a pound or two of bodyweight to more than compensate for the megas heft ;):cool::D

Megaratweiler :thumbsup:
znPJuy7.jpg

Can confirm the SHE 2 is definitely a good chopper considering its size. I generally don't like this size for a knife, (just my opinion) because I find it is too large and unwieldy for common cutting tasks but too small for chopping. I'd rather carry one big blade/hatchet and one small blade. But for me, the SHE 2 is a bit of an exception. I think because the handle is angled downward, it somehow feels like it just bites better. Sweetspot feels really natural. Again, not my choice of knife size, but if you do go that route, the SHE 2 works pretty well.

Can confirm the SHE 2 is definitely a good chopper considering its size. I generally don't like this size for a knife, (just my opinion) because I find it is too large and unwieldy for common cutting tasks but too small for chopping. I'd rather carry one big blade/hatchet and one small blade. But for me, the SHE 2 is a bit of an exception. I think because the handle is angled downward, it somehow feels like it just bites better. Sweetspot feels really natural. Again, not my choice of knife size, but if you do go that route, the SHE 2 works pretty well.

I AGREE!!!...
SwAkUJK.jpg

The blade angle contributes to the chopping ability for sure! I'm in the business of kitchen knives, and Bob Kramer is one of the few makers who built in a downward angled blade to have more leverage. As a result, his blades give you so much confidence while cutting and I assume this is also true for Busse choppers!

Personally, I've found comfort in the "lightweight 9-inch" category for my field knife with the basic 9 and EU17 magnum.

For the shorter length you are asking about, the infi ratweiler and SHE2 that have been recommended are pretty great choices. My resiprene choice here would be the DS8.

8” ain’t ever going to be a chopper - that being said the best one will have to have a thin edge as it won’t have the ass on it to bite deep. 1.5” and wider blade will do wonders. In the 8 inch range it would be the FSH as the edge profile is good.

best 7" or less Chopper ?

these are awesome choppers

gDYBs8p.jpg

Those are funny.

Back