1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

The best fake by far

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by rycen, Oct 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rycen

rycen Super Moderator Staff Member Super Mod

Aug 22, 2002
    Looks good, I don't see any of the usual telltale signs.

2. de-mix

de-mix

Aug 10, 2014
    Awesome news!
    Thanks for taking the time rycen.

Into the pocket it goes :thumbup:

3. rycen

Aug 22, 2002
    Not a problem. Don't let it get too dull before you touch it up. Welcome to the forum.

4. rycen

Aug 22, 2002
  5. Capt. Spaulding

Capt. Spaulding

Feb 7, 2014
    Rycen. I just wanted to get your opinion on this video. I noticed the one he is calling the knockoff has the sweeping grind in the scale where the compression lock is. For me the very sharp corner in this area was a giveaway it was a knockoff, but this one seems to have the smooth sweeping cutout. I have not seen a knockoff like this before. Just wanted to get your opinion on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrgesqFA_Ko

6. rycen

Aug 22, 2002
    Sorry but I won't comment on any of his videos.

7. Capt. Spaulding

Capt. Spaulding

Feb 7, 2014
    ????..... Is he a member here or something.

I don't care for comment's on the video at all I was just wondering if you had seen a fake PM2 with the sweeping grind on the scale where the compression lock is?

I'f you can't give that info then I respect that. I was just concerned since I had never seen a fake PM2 with that feature. Thank you.

8. rycen

Aug 22, 2002
    To be honest I can't remember if he was actually a member here or not but a lot of his videos of been discussed and it always turns in to nonsense.

9. Capt. Spaulding

Capt. Spaulding

Feb 7, 2014
    Okie Dokie. Thanks anyways.

10. rycen

Aug 22, 2002
  11. FinestWarblades

FinestWarblades

Jun 3, 2014
    the link doesnt work. I also would take a look on that knife / item. Does anyone have a photo please?

12. FinestWarblades

FinestWarblades

Jun 3, 2014
    ah thanks ...now i seen it !

13. rycen

Aug 22, 2002
  14. Cassianne

Cassianne Banned by Moderators Banned

Jul 24, 2014
    Mr. rycen:

If my questions have already been answered elsewhere on bladeforums.com, I respectfully beg your pardon. I am new to the forum and to the world of internet knife procurement as well. I don't know you personally nor am I related to any member of bladeforums.

You seem to be rather experienced in identifying counterfeit Spyderco products based on nothing more than a low-res image in an eBay listing. To me, this begs the question, are you really making a judgement on the picture itself, or are you simply condemning all product offerings from sellers who have proven themselves undependable in the past?

What is your relationship to Spyderco? Are you an employee? Perhaps an independent engineering or QC consultant under contract to Spyderco? Or an authorized spokesperson?

I ask these things because I recently purchased my first Spyderco just 3 months ago. I obtained it second-hand, in near-mint condition, from an estate sale. When I got home, I checked online in an attempt to properly identify it. I was a bit surprised to find that there are a number of counterfeits on the market. So I contacted Spyderco directly in an attempt to resolve the authenticity issue. I described what appeared to be a Spyderco Civilian with G-10 scales, ATS-55 steel, and Phillips-head screws throughout. I was informed that although current Civilians were supplied with VG-10 and torx-head screws, earlier generation Civilians were indeed supplied exactly as mine appeared. I was further informed that counterfeits are becoming increasingly difficult to spot and that the only way to be assured of its authenticity would be to send it in to customer service for a positive ID.

Not wanting to part with my newly acquired knife, I asked if there was any other way to ID it. I was given a list of authorized Spyderco dealers in Southern California. So far, I have hand-carried my Civilian into four of those dealers, where each time the knife was inspected rather thoroughly (under magnifiers and against genuine Spyderco product) before being given the same response: authentic Spyderco.

I will be the first to admit that I don't know your relationship with Spyderco, or what they have authorized you to post in regard to the so-called fakes you have allegedly discovered in eBay listings. What I do know is how Spyderco advised me to proceed if I had doubts about a product that I was actually holding in my hand.

From your remarks throughout this thread, you seem to be willing to go further than Spyderco in making snap judgements as to the authenticity of THEIR products. Indeed, reading your comments here might lead a newcomer to the Spyderco line to conclude that the vast majority of them are low-end clones.

For the benefit of those who are less experienced in these matters than yourself, could you please be more specific about identifying all these fakes. And don't worry about "helping the knock-off companies". That''s the biggest red-herring in the history of mankind. Offshore manufacturing companies do not replicate products - be they folding knives or iPhones - based on someones remarks on an internet forum. They go directly to an authorized Spyderco or Apple dealer and pay full retail for the genuine article.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2014
  15. rycen

Aug 22, 2002
    Well I was with you until the last sentence.

16. Cassianne

Jul 24, 2014
    Well?

Last edited: Aug 16, 2014
  17. Sosa

Sosa

Feb 6, 2014
    Funny thing about spyderco is you can have someone say the box is fake but the knife is real.

18. Cassianne

Jul 24, 2014
    That's another think I don't get. Why the obsession with the whole box thing? A three minute YouTube "review" dedicates two minutes to the box. What is THAT all about?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.