The best fake by far

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks good, I don't see any of the usual telltale signs.

Not a problem. Don't let it get too dull before you touch it up. Welcome to the forum.

Rycen. I just wanted to get your opinion on this video. I noticed the one he is calling the knockoff has the sweeping grind in the scale where the compression lock is. For me the very sharp corner in this area was a giveaway it was a knockoff, but this one seems to have the smooth sweeping cutout. I have not seen a knockoff like this before. Just wanted to get your opinion on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrgesqFA_Ko

Sorry but I won't comment on any of his videos.

Sorry but I won't comment on any of his videos.

????..... Is he a member here or something.

I don't care for comment's on the video at all I was just wondering if you had seen a fake PM2 with the sweeping grind on the scale where the compression lock is?

I'f you can't give that info then I respect that. I was just concerned since I had never seen a fake PM2 with that feature. Thank you.

To be honest I can't remember if he was actually a member here or not but a lot of his videos of been discussed and it always turns in to nonsense.

rycen:

• None of the links I posted are legitimate.
  • If I even doubt it for one second I won't post it.
  • Please share your "facts".
  • That is exactly is the purpose of this thread and why started it.
  • The obvious ones I usually don't bother posting.
  • It's the ones that would fool even knife people or who are at least semi familiar with Spyderco that I post.
  • Also do you think Spyderco would let me continue to post these fakes if they weren't?
  • It's already been discussed in this thread.
  • Some feel when I point out the differences that I'm helping the knockoff companies.
  • Does this answer your question?
  • I just checked and mine look very similar to that.
  • I believe that is where the laser starts and stops to cut the liners. .
  • Sorry but some feel discussing details only helps the counterfeiters.
  • Suffice to say it's not just one detail.
  • Looks good, I don't see any of the usual telltale signs.
  • Sorry but I won't comment on any of his videos.
  • To be honest I can't remember if he was actually a member here or not but a lot of his videos of been discussed and it always turns in to nonsense.

Mr. rycen:

If my questions have already been answered elsewhere on bladeforums.com, I respectfully beg your pardon. I am new to the forum and to the world of internet knife procurement as well. I don't know you personally nor am I related to any member of bladeforums.

You seem to be rather experienced in identifying counterfeit Spyderco products based on nothing more than a low-res image in an eBay listing. To me, this begs the question, are you really making a judgement on the picture itself, or are you simply condemning all product offerings from sellers who have proven themselves undependable in the past?

What is your relationship to Spyderco? Are you an employee? Perhaps an independent engineering or QC consultant under contract to Spyderco? Or an authorized spokesperson?

I ask these things because I recently purchased my first Spyderco just 3 months ago. I obtained it second-hand, in near-mint condition, from an estate sale. When I got home, I checked online in an attempt to properly identify it. I was a bit surprised to find that there are a number of counterfeits on the market. So I contacted Spyderco directly in an attempt to resolve the authenticity issue. I described what appeared to be a Spyderco Civilian with G-10 scales, ATS-55 steel, and Phillips-head screws throughout. I was informed that although current Civilians were supplied with VG-10 and torx-head screws, earlier generation Civilians were indeed supplied exactly as mine appeared. I was further informed that counterfeits are becoming increasingly difficult to spot and that the only way to be assured of its authenticity would be to send it in to customer service for a positive ID.

Not wanting to part with my newly acquired knife, I asked if there was any other way to ID it. I was given a list of authorized Spyderco dealers in Southern California. So far, I have hand-carried my Civilian into four of those dealers, where each time the knife was inspected rather thoroughly (under magnifiers and against genuine Spyderco product) before being given the same response: authentic Spyderco.

I will be the first to admit that I don't know your relationship with Spyderco, or what they have authorized you to post in regard to the so-called fakes you have allegedly discovered in eBay listings. What I do know is how Spyderco advised me to proceed if I had doubts about a product that I was actually holding in my hand.

From your remarks throughout this thread, you seem to be willing to go further than Spyderco in making snap judgements as to the authenticity of THEIR products. Indeed, reading your comments here might lead a newcomer to the Spyderco line to conclude that the vast majority of them are low-end clones.

For the benefit of those who are less experienced in these matters than yourself, could you please be more specific about identifying all these fakes. And don't worry about "helping the knock-off companies". That''s the biggest red-herring in the history of mankind. Offshore manufacturing companies do not replicate products - be they folding knives or iPhones - based on someones remarks on an internet forum. They go directly to an authorized Spyderco or Apple dealer and pay full retail for the genuine article.

Last edited:
Well I was with you until the last sentence.

Funny thing about spyderco is you can have someone say the box is fake but the knife is real.

Funny thing about spyderco is you can have someone say the box is fake but the knife is real.

That's another think I don't get. Why the obsession with the whole box thing? A three minute YouTube "review" dedicates two minutes to the box. What is THAT all about?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back