The best Laguiole?

Does anyone know the best maker or company produce the best Laguiole, french style of knives?

Search online, have so many. Not sure what or who should I look for reliability.

All depends on what you want to pay :)
If you want a Laguiole from the town or county Aubrac, have a look here:
www.laguiole-online.com/couteaux/coutelleries.php3

If you want just a Laguiole Pattern, I would recomend you
Fontenile Pataud - they're from Thiers

For my taste the best are:
Fontenille Pataud (Thiers)
Forge de Laguiole (Laguiole)
Laguiole de l'Artisan (Laguiole)

Check also this site:
www.couteaux-courty.com

search for Laguiole ;)

Like you'll see, for a good one, you'll have to pay a 70 (Laguiole de l'Artisan) up to 110 (normal Fontenile Pataud) up to 600 (Damascus, Ivory Fontenile Pataud :))

regards
surfer

is that some sort of cheese knife? or something to whittle a flag pole with (for socks and hankerchiefs and such)?

is that some sort of cheese knife? or something to whittle a flag pole with (for socks and hankerchiefs and such)?

I am not 100% sure, I just recently met Laguiole style blade. I think it is somewhat daily knife: cutting bread, cheese whatever you can think about. As design style, they are not meant to be heavy duty. It is more of gentlemen's knife.

Doesn't sound attractive to you? Well, it won't sound attractive to me few yrs ago too. But.....Modern "Tactical blades" bored the shit out of me. They start to look all the same to me. Tanto, Part Serr. G-10, Black, Camo, Ti...etc :barf: Nothing really new on market, and I have bunch tactical at home that I don't even use. I start to check knives that has more "style", "character", "representational" and more "natural".

Anyway, I start to go back to older style of knives. Somehow they scare less ppl when I take it out.

See also http://www.cutlerytogo.com/ and especially http://www.cutlerytogo.com/frenchknives.html

The Laguiole is more or less the French equivalent of the Texas Toothpick. They have similarly shaped handles and blades, are both slipjoints, but the Laguiole tends to be thicker than the Toothpick. The Laguiole is generally more decorated, with filework and jimping, and the bee at the thumbrest.

There are also variants with a corkscreww, and fisherman's variants with a pick.

I like Laguioles a lot, maybe because of my french ancestors:)
They are very elegant. They are very useful for all kind of cutting works around household, picnic, even at work. I'd never seen someone react afraid when looking at these knives, they just look friendly. Blades are slim and flexible.
They are mostly made as slipjoints, but not with the usual flat back of the blade, but with a "V"-cutout. This gives them a pretty strong sort of lock, which imho makes a real lock unnecessary. (You dont do heavy-duty-combat-outdoor-tactical things with 'em anyway)

My personal favourites are
- Forge de Laguiole, the only brand made in the village Laguiole itself.
- Fontenille Pataud, made in Thiers.
Check these names out with google, you'll find some good offers I guess. Prices range from maybe 100 up to 1000 dollars.
These are handmade one by one from Knifemakers. The steels they use are forged 12-C-27 , T-12 (an advanced 440-A), C-75 Carbon steel and damascus steels both stainless and non stainless. I've got some in T-12, 12-C-27 and Damasteel.
The Wear resistance is surely less than for instance S-30-V, but I have no complaints about it.
You should take a bit of time when using a laguiole: Opening with two hands, closing carefully also with two hands, otherwise the edge hits the steel spring in the handle.
There are liner-lock or lockback models offered, and even such with one-hand-opening device.
greetings
arno

You should take a bit of time when using a laguiole: Opening with two hands, closing carefully also with two hands, otherwise the edge hits the steel spring in the handle.
greetings
arno

To prevent the edge hitting the spring, you can use "DURAFIL",
nylon V shaped insertstrips. They are removable and washable.
Great product! I use it on all my Laguioles.

http://www.frog-connection.com

Or on E bay, google Durafil.

@ cornelis: Thanks! I already found my way to protect the edge, I fixed small strips of rubber inside the knife near the end of the handle.

Having owned a few of these knives I would recommend the Laguiole de l'Artisan. My opinion is based soley on fit and finish, I may just have lucked out but the one I have which includes a corkscrew is a work of perfection. All in all I don't think that you can go wrong with any of the above, it's just nice to have one that was made in Laguiole. Good luck.

John

I like the more modern look of Le Thiers Par Chambriard. The more traditional things just don't get me going.

Here's a great place to find Foreign knives, and not have to pay through the nose for shipping. http://www.cutlerytogo.com/coutcham.html

I own a 12.5cm Stag that is just beautiful.

Daniel

Lee Valley tools bring in a medium/descent quality specimen , as they are in Canada the exchange rate is in your favor .

I have a very high end example , very nice gents knife , very beautifull.

Chris

@ cornelis: Thanks! I already found my way to protect the edge, I fixed small strips of rubber inside the knife near the end of the handle.

That's what I did lately, but I find the Durafil inserts a much better and more hygienic sollution, when you use your Laguiole for eating and food prep. You can take it out and wash it from time to time.
The V shaped strip "catches" the blade, when it is closed. It feels very solid that way.

"waiter's tool" or "sommelier's tool." If you know a real wine enthusiast, a Laguiole corkscrew is the finest gift. It has a knife blade for removing the foil cap, and a lever for removing the cork after the corkscrew is inserted.

Thanks everyone. Damn, they don't come cheap. I thought online should always cheaper. Not in this case. I saw Forge de Laguiole in store today. It is selling $119 with wood handle. They are about the same price as online. (when consider shipping cost) I might as well get it in store and enjoy right the way.

Somehow from them, the gray blade finish feel a lot sharper than mirror finish. Not sure if it is my imagination. Cuz doesn't really make any sense one will be sharper than the other.

I am thinking about 9mm or 10mm. I start to look for a blade on the small side. Few yrs ago was going for the biggest possible. But now, big blade just don't get out, cuz scare sh*t out of ppl. My blade isn't exactly for self portection.....i live a normal life, not possible to get into a fight in my age. Lighter weight blade, quality, durable seems like Laguiole fit in just fine.

Once again, thanks anyone who took time. For those who hvn't check Laguiole out, maybe you should. It's very neat.

Back