The best Laguiole?

Hey, thanks for the post. I never knew about these knives. I'm now getting the aged one with the bone handle.

Thanks everyone. Damn, they don't come cheap. I thought online should always cheaper. Not in this case. I saw Forge de Laguiole in store today. It is selling $119 with wood handle. They are about the same price as online. (when consider shipping cost) I might as well get it in store and enjoy right the way.

Somehow from them, the gray blade finish feel a lot sharper than mirror finish. Not sure if it is my imagination. Cuz doesn't really make any sense one will be sharper than the other.

I am thinking about 9mm or 10mm. I start to look for a blade on the small side. Few yrs ago was going for the biggest possible. But now, big blade just don't get out, cuz scare sh*t out of ppl. My blade isn't exactly for self portection.....i live a normal life, not possible to get into a fight in my age. Lighter weight blade, quality, durable seems like Laguiole fit in just fine.

Once again, thanks anyone who took time. For those who hvn't check Laguiole out, maybe you should. It's very neat.

Congrats with this decision:thumbup: The knife will give you so much pleasure!

Cor

Lee Valley tools bring in a medium/descent quality specimen , as they are in Canada the exchange rate is in your favor .

I have a very high end example , very nice gents knife , very beautifull.

Chris

Yup - I have one of those from Lee Valley. Nice starter piece if you are looking for an entry level piece to see what they are about. House of Knives here in Calgary used to have a couple of the more expensive pieces but haven't seen them in a while. This is a nice change for the collection.

- gord

Anyone familiar with Robert David Laguiole knives? I don't own one made by this company , but they seem to be a bit less expensive than the other brands and I might give one a try.
http://www.bestblade.com/Products-Robert_David.html

Give it a go man, feel the smooth handle shape of the traditional LAGUIOLE!!! It will never let you go. The Laguioles of Robert David are okay.
Not like the top brands, but OK.

my favorite one was given to me by my stepfather. it had gone thru the washing machine on accident! it has a bull on the blade, and has a corkscrew and leather punch. its a great knife. i think 100 years ago every frenchman in the central region would have one of these for everyday use, including table use for any kind of food.

kiov

my favorite one was given to me by my stepfather. it had gone thru the washing machine on accident! it has a bull on the blade, and has a corkscrew and leather punch. its a great knife. i think 100 years ago every frenchman in the central region would have one of these for everyday use, including table use for any kind of food.

kiov

I think that's the reason why I like the Laguiole so much, it's a real man's
knife. Your friend in the field and on the dinner table.

Cornelis Böhms;4191282 said:
Give it a go man, feel the smooth handle shape of the traditional LAGUIOLE!!! It will never let you go. The Laguioles of Robert David are okay.
Not like the top brands, but OK.

Oh I know and you're right .... I have a Laguiole de l'Artisan in dark horn that I bought a few years ago. I was looking for another one the last time this topic came up and I found the Robert David brand. The prices were pretty reasonable. They make one in light horn and also stag that are pretty nice. They also make one with more of a skinning shaped blade and a boar etching on the bolster.

I have 7 Laguioles but 4 of them are waiters corkscrews. All but one of my Laguioles are from Jean Dubost, I believe not the finest but it's what I have found in Mexico and they have served me well.

I had put several stacked-up strips of duck tape inside my Laguioles to protect the edge, recently I got some Spanish navajas that had a small piece of wood inside that did the same job. I tried it with my Laguiole knives, as can be seen in the picture, and it seems to work just fine.

Luis

Click to enlarge

I have 7 Laguioles but 4 of them are waiters corkscrews. All but one of my Laguioles are from Jean Dubost, I believe not the finest but it's what I have found in Mexico and they have served me well.

I had put several stacked-up strips of duck tape inside my Laguioles to protect the edge, recently I got some Spanish navajas that had a small piece of wood inside that did the same job. I tried it with my Laguiole knives, as can be seen in the picture, and it seems to work just fine.

Luis

Click to enlarge

What kind of steel are the blades of your Dubost knives?

Cor

I was going to buy the antique'd handle knife with the antique'd blade from Cutlerytogo and not it's gone.

Where can I get one of these?

Cornelis Böhms;4189011 said:
"By far the highest quality" is a subjective matter. I like the laguioles made by Laguiole en Aubrac the best. Others will say Forge de Laguiole o.a. is the best.
I think all these serious French factorys make a good product.

I guess what I meant to say was "OF THE BRANDS I'VE OWNED Fontenille Pataud is by far the highest quality". I'm sure that plenty of other brands are as good or perhaps better than Fontenille Pataud but some of the French Laguiole knives I've owned were overpriced and not very good quality.

All depends on what you want to pay :)
If you want a Laguiole from the town or county Aubrac, have a look here:
www.laguiole-online.com/couteaux/coutelleries.php3

If you want just a Laguiole Pattern, I would recomend you
Fontenile Pataud - they're from Thiers

For my taste the best are:
Fontenille Pataud (Thiers)
Forge de Laguiole (Laguiole)
Laguiole de l'Artisan (Laguiole)

Check also this site:
www.couteaux-courty.com

search for Laguiole ;)

Like you'll see, for a good one, you'll have to pay a 70 (Laguiole de l'Artisan) up to 110 (normal Fontenile Pataud) up to 600 (Damascus, Ivory Fontenile Pataud :))

regards
surfer

I have a Laguiole de l'artisan which has the word "elite" in script on the opposite side of the Laguiole stamp. It is stainless with ebony scales and has some very nice file work on the back spring. My wife had her's made with brass and olive wood and had her name engraved on the blade.
They are both l'artisan and very nicely made.
Hope you find a good one!
Ron:rolleyes:

I guess what I meant to say was "OF THE BRANDS I'VE OWNED Fontenille Pataud is by far the highest quality". I'm sure that plenty of other brands are as good or perhaps better than Fontenille Pataud but some of the French Laguiole knives I've owned were overpriced and not very good quality.

Sorry, I was jumping to conclussions.

I have four Laguiole knives acquired over the years. One is new, the others have had some use. I recently saw some for sale in a retail store - they were marked Coutea du Berger. I have never heard of these before - can any tell me if they are French or cheap copies from somewhere else?

i'm with Surfer on this one

-Fontenille Pataud (Thiers)
-Forge de Laguiole (Laguiole)

those are the best by far

denn

What kind of steel are the blades of your Dubost knives?
The plastic handled less expensive one is stamped 440, which I would guess means 440A. The better one with olive wood handles is stamped 12C27 SANDVIK.

Luis

Click to enlarge

The plastic handled less expensive one is stamped 440, which I would guess means 440A. The better one with olive wood handles is stamped 12C27 SANDVIK.

Luis

Click to enlarge

The blade of my Laguiole en Aubrac is also 12C27 Sandvik.
A perfect steel for such a knife!

Back