The best Laguiole?

Not too familiar with the knives but have compared their corkscrews. I like the "en Aubrac" by far and purchased one with ebony handles. I'm very impressed by the craftsmanship. It's not perfect because it's hand made, but operates very smoothly and it's very pleasing on the eye.

Not too familiar with the knives but have compared their corkscrews. I like the "en Aubrac" by far and purchased one with ebony handles. I'm very impressed by the craftsmanship. It's not perfect because it's hand made, but operates very smoothly and it's very pleasing on the eye.

Will it be an every day carry ?

I was in Chinon, France and a hunter told me that the reason there is usually a cross in the handle on the Lags is so they could stick them in the ground and pray.

I saw them all over France as a general use knife and a bird hunter's/small game knife in particular.

-J

I was in Chinon, France and a hunter told me that the reason there is usually a cross in the handle on the Lags is so they could stick them in the ground and pray.

I saw them all over France as a general use knife and a bird hunter's/small game knife in particular.

-J

The sheperds, away from home, used it that way as an altar to say their
prayers. A laguiole is living history!

I found these two at a local department store on Monday and thought they would make a nice Christmas present for myself, Jean Dubost with cow horn handle scales, they have better fit and finish than the other ones that I have from the same maker, cool.

Luis

Click to enlarge

I found these two at a local department store on Monday and thought they would make a nice Christmas present for myself, Jean Dubost with cow horn handle scales, they have better fit and finish than the other ones that I have from the same maker, cool.

Luis

Click to enlarge

Congrats man!

Hello,

First post here, and this certainly seems to be the crowd to ask about a knife I'm considering buying. I've admired Laguiole knives for some time now, but do not know enough to tell the difference (in a picture) between a good quality Laguiole, and a crummy quality - of which I know there are many. I found the following at REI, and would like know if this is a decent knife. Sure looks nice.

http://www.rei.com/online/store/Pro...1&color=HORN&img=/media/965318.jpg&view=large

Thanks to all.

J

Welcome to Bladeforums! :)

Baladeo is a new one on me. I found their website & products here: http://www.baladeo.com/produits.php?tri=gamme&langue=en

I have no idea how good their knives are but from the price and lack of specific information on materials, I wouldn't guess they are the very best. I'm also careful what I buy from a non-knife outfit. REI wouldn't necessarily know what's a good knife, only an affordable good-looking knife, for their customers.

For a few dollars more, you could get a much more likely high-quality Laguiole. Look for 12C27 steel, for one thing.

I am also starting to move away from tacticals to more traditional styles of knives. The only Laguiole I own is a set of their production steak knives which are not as nice as the folders but are the best damn steak knives ever.
They were really cheap as well because I found them at a liquidation type store.
They are very elagent looking with the bee and traditional blade shape.
There was a thread on these knives in the movie/tv sightings section because the sommlier tool showed up on one of the best anime shows ever Ghost in the Shell 2nd gig. The main character buys it as a gift for her wine loving boss.
It is a great show about the future of counter terrorist operations.

With knives like the Laguiole, it's really worthwhile looking around and forming your taste before buying. Given the aspects of historical and handmade value, Similar to Japanese knives, I found 'the best' for me meant a small and authentic craftsman's/family manufacture, as opposed to the large-scale factory production which is flooding the market.

My money is on Fontenille-Pataud

They have a blade stop so the edge does not contact the inside of the back spring.

They have lockback models.

And I find that their craftsmanship is done in a crisp, clean style that suits my preference.

My first laguiole was a Laguiole en Aubrac. It's lovely with its horn tip handle.
Meanwhile I also have a Fontenille-Pataud lockback laguiole, and a kind of sturdier "gentlemen" variant, also by Fontenille-Pataud.
And I was once able to buy a nice one from a small French brand.
I played with a few Forge De Laguiole knives in the shop but I don't have any.
All the above feature 12C27 steel which works very well in a laguiole.
The best? I must say I have a slight preference for Fontenille Pataud, but Aubrac and Forge are very good as well.

Finally, from non-french producers I have a big kind of 'hunting folder laguiole' from Puma. 440C steel, it is actually pretty good but it lacks the elegance of the above french ones. And I also have a Pakistani damascus laguiole, which is better than you'd expect, and it was for me an opportunity to add a good looking damascus blade to my little collection without breaking the bank.

9s9i7l.jpg

From top to bottom:
- Laguiole en Aubrac with horn tip handle. Mid-sized model with two steel bolsters. Very practical, often in my pocket.
- Fontenille-Pataud "gentlemen" knife, with lock back and blonde horn handle. Also often EDC'd
- Fontenille-Pataud laguiole with lock back and amourette handle
- Laguiole le colombe, staminawood handle and brass bolster.
- Puma "hunting" laguiole, 440C blade, lock back, I forgot the handle material, it could be cocobolo. A bit heavy but in a way it can be defined as a laguiole version of the Buck 110.
- Pakistani "Maan" damascus carbon steel blade laguiole, with camel bone handle. Quite well made and sharp actually. I don't use it so often as I am afraid to stain the blade which is not aesthetical on a damascus blade!

Last edited:
As Dagon says Fontenille Pataud are very good, as are Forge and Aubrac.The latter having maintained a slight rustic air

I really like the Fontenille Pataud St Martin, and have on on its way - I wanted it in brass and ebony - the perfect combination aesthetically, but FP were very resistant. I can only guess that the brass at the pivot would wear too quickly in that knife, as I have other brass olstered laguioles from them, and they is fine.

I like the one Sonia Rykiel designed - very metro

ut the next on the list ( Iam aiming for a table setting I think :D) is an FP laguiole w/corkscrew in ironwood and RWL34

For my money it is Fontenille Pataud and Honore' Durand. I just got a custom ivory handled Fontenille Pataud and and ivory one from Honore' Durand. Durand's customer service is exceptional. A forged bee instead of stamped one is a good indicator of quality so is the quality and complexity of the filework. Most of the good blacksmiths offer a variety of designs in place of the bee if you want. Check out David Douvallier he is a relative newcomer and as such his prices are very good on eBay.

I have purchased 1 or 2 models in different sizes from Forge de Laguiole, Actiforge, Henri Durand and Fonteneille Pataud, or from what I consider (subjective, I know) the better "atteliers" of the Laguiole knives.
The spring on the 9 cm versions appear weaker than the 12 and 11 cm versions, probably due to the length of the spring itself.
No regrets on any of the models purchased.
I'm still looking forward to a 10.5 cm "Le Pocket" and the 9 cm XS from FM to check out the difference

Strange, it seems like every couple of years a new (usually) member pops up with a post and then...nothing. :confused: Don't think I've seen this before. o_O Somewhat interesting though, if it's not some kind of recurring ad. ;)

I'm NOT an ad, just a customer. And I omitted my Laguiole en Aubrac in my list of atteliers, sorry.

Back