The best utility knife

What is the best utility knife for warehouse use? I need to carry it around all day and use it constantly to cut shipping packages. The snap blade knives are convenient but I don't want to slip and take off an arm. The Uline knife auto retract looks comfortable but I don't know if auto retract is really a good idea: w w w.uline.com/Product/Detail/H-1370/Utility-Knives-and-Cutters/Uline-Comfort-Grip-Auto-Retractable-Safety-Knife?pricode=WA9087&gadtype=pla&id=H-1370&gclid=CjwKCAjw27jnBRBuEiwAdjQXDKF6nV675DDIxV8hIAz3 gChWvx8dc2ElaGEvdttmoDjFQYBZJIqH4RoCdiYQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds[/url]

There is the CrewSafe X-traSafe but it doesn't let you change the blade.. I need to change blades frequently so It has to be easy to work with. The Dewalt knives look cool but they are bulky/ heavy and I don't want to unfold something like the Milwaukee folder for every cut... I know it doesn't seem like much but getting this right will save me all kinds of headache.

Reactions: FWG
I can't say I've used them for extended cutting but we do use Slice brand ceramic cutters of different styles at work and they work quite well and are significantly safer than a traditional steel blade. Again, i don't have heavy-use experience but thought you might want to give them some consideration.

I worked in a warehouse for 2 1/2 years and ended up with a uline box cutter with a manual retractable swapable blade that also had a twine cutting notch. I really hated those cheap snap off blades.

If I use a utility knife a lot, I want a hand filling model. This would be considered some of the regular utility knives sold at home centers. For occasional use, I would go with a folder.

If I was in your situation, I’d probably use a Stanley 99E. The cost is minimal, it’ll last forever, the handle is large, ergos are great and it’s comfortable to use. The blade is extended and retracted by using the thumb push-button, so it’s quick and easy to deploy or close. The replacement blades are cheaper than dirt and you can use those cheap pull-through sharpeners to extend blade life without feeling guilty about what you’re doing to your blade. If you snap the tip off of a blade or even lose the knife, it’s of no consequence. You can carry replacement blades inside the handle and replacing a blade is a very easy, quick process using a coin for a screwdriver to open the handle. It’s a knife that’s made for cutting through and cutting up sheetrock or cardboard boxes and shipping cartons forever. The knife and replacement blade bulk packs are available at Lowes, Home Depot and probably every other hardware store in the US.

It’s probably close to the lowest-ranking status or snob appeal knife in the world (with only the disposable knives with snap-off blades ranking lower), but it’s the ultimate in economy and function and it’s been tried and proven by decades of use.

I don't know if the even still make them but they used to sell under the brand name "Super Knife" ... just a clip pocket carry folding utility knife with a thumb disc for opening liner lock closing and exchangable blades ...

I've had a couple for ... man maybe 12 or 15 years and only bought blades as needed ... and they take the larger more robust blades.

One of these. The depth gauge I just pull off but the staple puller is a huge help.
l
olfa_18mm_util_knife_cl_9021us.jpeg

I use a Husky Box Cutter. It looks like a folding pocket knife and has a thumb stud and clip.
The blades are standard disposable blades and can be swapped out by pressing the thumb stud and sliding out the old blade.

The one I have is about 10 years old and is made of cast metal, but the new ones look about the same

I used the basic Stanley knife in both retractable and fixed forms for a decade of shipping/receiving, warehouse, and grocery work and they never let me down. I usually spraypainted them green or orange and put a big "Z" on them with Magic Marker (Sharpie wasnt around yet). But now I think I'd go with the folding Husky model noted above. I like their looks, style, and the length of the handle. I don't know if it has blade storage in the handle, though. If you go Stanley or Husky, you can do both and test them out for little investment.

Zieg

I carry an easy cut 1000 at work, and it's great.

It's got some handy features and it's squeeze action makes it safe and handy.
I like the pull out guards for turning boxes into trays, and the holster and lanyard make it hard to loose.

What is the best utility knife for warehouse use? I need to carry it around all day and use it constantly to cut shipping packages. The snap blade knives are convenient but I don't want to slip and take off an arm. The Uline knife auto retract looks comfortable but I don't know if auto retract is really a good idea: w w w.uline.com/Product/Detail/H-1370/Utility-Knives-and-Cutters/Uline-Comfort-Grip-Auto-Retractable-Safety-Knife?pricode=WA9087&gadtype=pla&id=H-1370&gclid=CjwKCAjw27jnBRBuEiwAdjQXDKF6nV675DDIxV8hIAz3 gChWvx8dc2ElaGEvdttmoDjFQYBZJIqH4RoCdiYQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds[/url]

There is the CrewSafe X-traSafe but it doesn't let you change the blade.. I need to change blades frequently so It has to be easy to work with. The Dewalt knives look cool but they are bulky/ heavy and I don't want to unfold something like the Milwaukee folder for every cut... I know it doesn't seem like much but getting this right will save me all kinds of headache.

Check out the Spectrum Energetics utilizer. For true hard use cutting a typical knife is likely not the best option. A disposable blade is likely the best. If you’re looking for something especially light theu have the skeletonized Utilizer.

46386738_563261610804848_5708041918536533450_n.jpg

Gerber EAB is great, and very inexpensive.

On the spendier side but awesome is the Havalon Piranta Torch. You can get replacement blades by the dozen or by the box of 50. Cuts and carries great.

One of these. The depth gauge I just pull off but the staple puller is a huge help.
l
olfa_18mm_util_knife_cl_9021us.jpeg

Ofla box cutters are just sooo great. I used one refurbishing my sons room cutting a lot of nasty stuff. My other knives just got dull in minutes but the thin blades on this one just kept cutting. It also has a very very nice grip to it.

Oh, and I just don't understand the OP's hate for the snap of blades. IMHO that is a GREAT timesaving feature..

hPDyyDX.jpg

I'll have to take a pic and get the model of my coworker's box cutter. I believe he has multiple injuries that cause aches and pains if he uses the one we're given and supposed to be the only one carried. It has great ergos and I think the blade comes out if you grip it gently.

Stanley 499.

Onboard storage holds a couple of blades (I keep a couple of straight blades and a couple of hooked blades in there), blade changes are simple and fast, the knife is comfortable and basically indestructible.

if you don't want to use disposable blades, and want something very small & light, with very little need for sharpening, spyderco makes the ladybug/manbug in zdp-189

Back