The BK4 Fatwood Harvest!

91bravo

Gold Member
Wife and I decided to take the boys out for some outdoor time and show them how to harvest some fatwood. I had to put the new bk4 to use that the Warrior sent me!

On our way in to some private land that borders National Forest. It was a beautiful day to be outside!
DSC_0686_zps08gv8bak.jpg

DSC_0687_zpsncvopubk.jpg

DSC_0688_zpsb2qqavtf.jpg

On our way in
DSC_0690_zpsf5e6dzhi.jpg

DSC_0691_zps0acupx7k.jpg

DSC_0696_zpsrmeygawa.jpg

The oldest boy didn't need any help, so I had to stand back!
DSC_0697_zps1uyvq774.jpg

DSC_0698_zpsksn5r8zh.jpg

Here is the fatwood stump we are about to tap in to
DSC_0700_zpsgowzgsxs.jpg

Bk4 strapped to my pack
DSC_0701_zpsu4vpykes.jpg

2 of my fatwood harvesting tools
DSC_0702_zpssmzk7cds.jpg

DSC_0703_zpsiappelg0.jpg

Making the first cut with the Sven
DSC_0704_zpsnijszhak.jpg

DSC_0705_zpsdvat30fw.jpg

DSC_0708_zps6h7ntnxa.jpg

DSC_0711_zpsuiml3r7e.jpg

DSC_0713_zpsf9lhnjbb.jpg

I like the downward angle of the handle for batoning
DSC_0716_zpsnyqyucpg.jpg

DSC_0717_zpsci8dyxj5.jpg

DSC_0718_zps58e6jv8q.jpg

Fatwood looks dead on the outside
DSC_0719_zpsgi0gzxxm.jpg

But fresh, fragrant and sticky on the inside
DSC_0720_zpsdfwvja98.jpg

DSC_0721_zpsfckvhjiv.jpg

Random knife shots
DSC_0725_zpstxrdpirq.jpg

DSC_0722_zpsjd72hqzt.jpg

Feathering some fatwood curls for fire
DSC_0724_zps82pqicjh.jpg

Good sticky icky stuff
DSC_0726_zpstnsw6dex.jpg

Cam trying out the Sven for the first time
DSC_0729_zpscopt6nri.jpg

And learning to baton for the first time
DSC_0731_zps62w2gr7g.jpg

He was having a hard time with the sticky blade
DSC_0733_zpsgs6a20kr.jpg

Behold an ants nest right in the middle
DSC_0734_zpszw0atjri.jpg

Can the 1311 cut through 1.5" sapling in one swipe?
DSC_0736_zpsbl5hdiun.jpg

It sure can!
DSC_0737_zps0kvmnv2y.jpg

Coop is loving the bk4 and wants it for his own. Thanks again Bmurray for the backpacks!
DSC_0738_zps95qjbc1k.jpg

The boys and their new walking sticks
DSC_0739_zps2wowcrrf.jpg

Not much of a war face!
DSC_0744_zpsgh74leqz.jpg

But they sure can stick fight
DSC_0745_zpsswwvqyf9.jpg

The mighty mighty bk4
DSC_0740_zpsspysausb.jpg

DSC_0742_zps4tjw1kv7.jpg

And our final haul of fatwood we will be sending out to various forum members! Warrior, I have a primo center cut chunk with your name on it!
DSC_0743_zpshhhahvtp.jpg

Finally, some water in our creeks after a long drought
DSC_0749_zpsthgeang1.jpg

Cam with about 30lbs of fatwood in that pack
DSC_0751_zpsqxm4d8yg.jpg

Having fun at base camp
DSC_0758_zpsz1qodihe.jpg

DSC_0761_zpsacgrmjun.jpg

My wife MarriedTheMedic picking up sticks for the Emberlit
DSC_0764_zpsaixrzhgv.jpg

More chopping with the bk4
DSC_0770_zpsu9toztx3.jpg

DSC_0771_zpsfgani3q7.jpg

More batoning with the bk4
DSC_0773_zps7jd0k002.jpg

Whittling more curls for the cooking fire
DSC_0776_zpsavpprr7g.jpg

Almost ready
DSC_0778_zpsojcfqwhh.jpg

Jute twine
DSC_0779_zpsb55o4imj.jpg

Ready to strike
DSC_0780_zpsm3j5mk7f.jpg

DSC_0782_zps43nadsuw.jpg

And we have fire
DSC_0792_zpszr4txww3.jpg

DSC_0793_zpssozyzpeu.jpg

Roasting our weenies over the fire!
DSC_0798_zpswtqszzjw.jpg

DSC_0799_zpsqlccv5li.jpg

From our family to yours, happy Sunday to all!
DSC_0800_zpscieual9m.jpg

Outstanding thread. Thanks for taking us with you. :thumbup:

Alabama has some beautiful areas, the wife and I hiked the Pinhoti trail a few years back and it was gorgeous rugged country.

Thanks yall! My wife and I have done the Adam's Gap loop, which is part of the Pinhoti trail system and it's a gorgeous hike!

Superb thread! A thread like this was long overdue. Thanks for sharing, that sure was a fantastic outing. Sweet haul too. If you see that orange, you know it's gonna be good...

Great pics!

Look's like you and your family had a great time. AWSOME 👍

Thanks yall. Looks like we'll be posting our outdoor adventures here in the Becker forum and another private forum we venture. We used to put up our backpacking/camping trips on another site, but that place isn't what it used to be anymore!

Ah, this is what it's all about. Freakin' love these kind of threads. Nothing like getting out with the fam and using the blades. I could smell the forest just by looking at the photos. Making me want to get out even more. Looking forward to that chunk of hardwood brudda. The 4 is a very versatile blade. I love using it. You're right, the handle angle while batoning is comfortable. Works great as a draw knife too. A good all arounder. Love the look of fresh blade scars:

DSC_0717_zpsci8dyxj5.jpg

Good to see MTM around these parts too. :thumbup:

Parroting what Warrior said, these types of threads have become my favorite. Family, the outdoors, and knives - Can't get much better than that. Thanks for sharing with us.

:thumbup: Looks like an awesome day with the family! Thanks for the great thread!

Y'all are very welcome! We have committed to getting outdoors even more this year than we did last year. Anyone that is acquainted with us, know that we have posted oodles of adventure posts over the years. This Becker forum seems like a great fit for outdoor adventure type threads with a little knife abuse thrown in there!

@the_warrior, MTM is not a member here. I d tried talking her into joining, but she's made some great friends and loves it at the other place. I'll get that chunk out to you sometime this week! It's not the best quality we have found, but it works just fine for what it is. If we tap into an oozing stump next time, I'll be sure to save you a chunk!

Anyone interested in some of this wood? Shoot me a PM and I'd be glad to send you some for your kits and what not.

Y'all are very welcome! We have committed to getting outdoors even more this year than we did last year. Anyone that is acquainted with us, know that we have posted oodles of adventure posts over the years. This Becker forum seems like a great fit for outdoor adventure type threads with a little knife abuse thrown in there!

@the_warrior, MTM is not a member here. I d tried talking her into joining, but she's made some great friends and loves it at the other place. I'll get that chunk out to you sometime this week! It's not the best quality we have found, but it works just fine for what it is. If we tap into an oozing stump next time, I'll be sure to save you a chunk!

Anyone interested in some of this wood? Shoot me a PM and I'd be glad to send you some for your kits and what not.

Looking forward to more adventures. Have always enjoyed them in the past. Just get MTM using the BK4, or buy her a BK9, haha. She'll sign up. ;)

BTW, those ants sure did pick out a redolent abode, haha.

BTW, those ants sure did pick out a redolent abode, haha.

Yeah they were all lethargic. I guess the cold had them dormant for the winter.

Looking forward to more adventures. Have always enjoyed them in the past. Just get MTM using the BK4, or buy her a BK9, haha. She'll sign up. ;)

She is actually in the market for another fixed blade woods knife since she sold her ESEE 6. I told her she could use any one of my multiples of fixies, but she wants one for herself! Lol.

Great post. Looked like a fun time out with the fam. I could almost smell the fatwood from your pics. Thanks for sharing.

Back