The BK4 Fatwood Harvest!

Discussion in 'Becker Knife & Tool' started by 91bravo, Jan 30, 2017.

1. Jonny1280

Jonny1280 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 5, 2012
    Bravo on the great pics bravo! :D
    Being a great Dad sure can be a lot of fun.
    Thanks for sharing with us.

I'm long overdue to get my little ones out in the woods.
    Might have to hit a local trail this weekend.

2. NixKustoms

NixKustoms Sheath and Knife Maker

Dec 30, 2010
    Damn! That looks like an amazing day!! Thanks for sharing with us all!

3. 91bravo

91bravo Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 2008
    You may be right about this one! Now the hunt for a bk15 for myself and a bk16 for my wife!

Please share your adventure when you get the little rug rats outdoors!

You're very welcome!

MarriedTheMedic likes this.
  4. 91bravo

Jun 29, 2008
    Oh and I may just have to hit you up for some of your fine leatherwork for one/few of my Becker blades!

5. NixKustoms

NixKustoms Sheath and Knife Maker

Dec 30, 2010
    Yeah man! Let me know when. I'll be standing by. :thumbup:

6. The Warrior

The Warrior Insane Viking Moderator

Mar 11, 2011
    Haha, I just noticed this. Do we like big batons, do we? :D Looks like you use half the tree to baton the other half, haha:

[​IMG]

Some of those photos are making me ache for a good hike. Especially the fire photos. Love making fire. The whole process:

[​IMG]

7. BluesStringer

BluesStringer

May 16, 2006
    Hey 91bravo, don't think we've "met." I'm Blues, glad to meet ya.

Great thread. I'm guessing you're up in North Alabama? We moved from Madison a couple of years ago now down to ~20 miles outside of Dothan. Six miles to the GA state line from our place, and about 15 miles to FL. My wife's an Auburn fan (I'm not a non-Auburn fan or Bama fan, just not a fan of football much at all). We've got stumps similar to the one you tracked down all over our heavily-wooded 5 acres. Have yet to get out there and harvest any fatwood, but I know it's probably the most valuable natural resource we have out here. Well, next to the water in both the creek and the well, that is. I guess the timber is worth more too, but I only mess with what gets blown down in storms for the most part.

Anyway, just thought I'd say great thread and howdy neighbor! I noticed the giant baton you were using too. HA!

Blues

8. 91bravo

Jun 29, 2008
    Yeah big baton means less strikes! Taking advantage of mass X momentum! Lol I'm a pyro, so I build fires all the time!

Getting ready to split down into pieces small enough to fit into a small flat rate box

[​IMG]

The ants are still here

[​IMG]

Getting into the sticky knotty parts

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The bk4 doesn't feather half bad either

[​IMG]

9. The Warrior

Mar 11, 2011
    Looks awesome man. I found the 4 to feather quite nicely actually. It's a good blade.

I'm thinking about heading to the cabin this weekend. Gonna see about using the 4 exclusively.

10. gmoneyluv

gmoneyluv Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 4, 2012
    Brilliant! Thanks for sharing.

11. 91bravo

Jun 29, 2008
    Yes! Another 4 thread would rock! I'm loving the handles on these Beckers more and more. I like that they are almost the same on multiple models of their blades. I'm seriously thinking about a bk12, smoothed over thumb ramp, micarta handles, a sandblast, and an acid etch on the blade, similar to my bk5.

12. Revolverrodger

Revolverrodger KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 23, 2007
    Awesome !
    You guys have some epic fatwood down south

13. The Warrior

Mar 11, 2011
    I think people around here are getting tired of my cabin threads, haha. I'll probably just post a few 4 photos.

The ergos are awesome on the Becker handles. I love em.

That would be a sick looking 12.

14. 91bravo

Jun 29, 2008
    Howdy neighbor! Yes, we are in north eastern area of AL. My wife and I go down to FL every year for our anniversary trip. When I was in the Army, my battle buddy got orders to go to Ft. Rucker close to you. I need to get down there and see him he, he is nearing retirement.

War Eagle!

15. 91bravo

Jun 29, 2008
    We try and go to different spots each time we backpack. Going to try and do a 16 mile loop around the Sipsey Wilderness this weekend. Maybe bring the 45-70 and shoot me a big fat feral hog! I think I'll bring the bk5 this time. I think there will lots of Becker trips in the future!

16. The Warrior

Mar 11, 2011
    There's lots of places to hike around the cabin area, but usually when we go there, there's work to do, so we don't get much of a chance. Sometimes we just get lazy. There's nothing around here but Carpenter Park, and I already have about 5 threads on that place, haha. Sucks living in the land of corn and beans. I wish I could get my wife to move to Missouri. I love that area. SO much to do.

You take the 5, let MTM carry the 4. She'll be hooked in no time.

17. 91bravo

Jun 29, 2008
    Thank you sir!

18. 91bravo

Jun 29, 2008
    We will drive a few hours to check out something different. I'd like to go back to Cumberland State Park in TN. That place was beautiful!

19. The Warrior

Mar 11, 2011
    We would have to drive about 3 hours to get to some cool stuff. Shawnee National Forest in southern Illinois is beautiful. Garden of the Gods, etc. We had plans a few years back to go to TN, but never did. I've never been to TN.

20. 91bravo

Jun 29, 2008
    Yes we do! And this is not even the best stuff we've found.