The BK4 Fatwood Harvest!

We would have to drive about 3 hours to get to some cool stuff. Shawnee National Forest in southern Illinois is beautiful. Garden of the Gods, etc. We had plans a few years back to go to TN, but never did. I've never been to TN.

TN is a beautiful state. It has 4 true seasons. Some snow in the winter, hot in the Summer, but not unbearably so. Fall in TN is absolutely stunning! I'd like to live in the mountains of TN one day when the kids are grown.

TN is a beautiful state. It has 4 true seasons. Some snow in the winter, hot in the Summer, but not unbearably so. Fall in TN is absolutely stunning! I'd like to live in the mountains of TN one day when the kids are grown.

Hope to get there one of these days.

Hope to get there one of these days.

Y'all are talkin' not far from where Ethan hangs his hat. I never made it up there and don't know exactly where it is, but I do know the general vicinity.

The first nine years in this state, we lived in Cullman, bravo, not far from the Sipsey Wilderness. Spent many a week all through Bankhead. I have a bunch of musician friends up in Muscle Shoals, and I'd always take a "shortcut" through Bankhead goin' up there for jam sessions and whatnot. If we get together now, we meet kinda in the middle in Gadsden where another mutual friend lives. Spent lots of time in the Talladega National Forest too with that friend.

This is one of the most beautiful flat-lander states anywhere. Love it here. I'll take the 'nados, hurricanes and buckets of rain over the asphalt, concrete, skyscrapers and riots of where I grew up (L.A.) any ol' day of the week.

Blues

great thread...

like the technique of find a nice old stump like that...

sweet !!!

Y'all are talkin' not far from where Ethan hangs his hat. I never made it up there and don't know exactly where it is, but I do know the general vicinity.

The first nine years in this state, we lived in Cullman, bravo, not far from the Sipsey Wilderness. Spent many a week all through Bankhead. I have a bunch of musician friends up in Muscle Shoals, and I'd always take a "shortcut" through Bankhead goin' up there for jam sessions and whatnot. If we get together now, we meet kinda in the middle in Gadsden where another mutual friend lives. Spent lots of time in the Talladega National Forest too with that friend.

This is one of the most beautiful flat-lander states anywhere. Love it here. I'll take the 'nados, hurricanes and buckets of rain over the asphalt, concrete, skyscrapers and riots of where I grew up (L.A.) any ol' day of the week.

Blues

We actually live right outside of Gadsden! I hunt Bankhead, shoot 3d tournaments in Cullman, and backpack Talladega National Forest quite a bit! What a small world!

Very cool pics! Great to get out with family for an adventure. Thanks for sharing the pics with us.

Looks like a great time.
The mini adventure threads are always my favorites since they make me ask myself why I am not outside.

Very cool pics! Great to get out with family for an adventure. Thanks for sharing the pics with us.

Nothing better than family time outdoors with guns and knives!

Looks like a great time.
The mini adventure threads are always my favorites since they make me ask myself why I am not outside.

Well, what are you waiting on? Get outside already!

Looks like a great time.

Haha, I hear that, Been awhile since I've done one. Would love to get a hike in Saturday. Sunday is actually supposed to be warmer. Maybe we'll cut up some firewood Saturday, and go on a small hike Sunday.

how are you linking the sven saw ? thinking bout picking one up also which length is it?

how are you linking the sven saw ? thinking bout picking one up also which length is it?

I love the Sven! It goes with me into the woods every time I go. I also take the Silky Bigboy for my wife to use as she likes that one better than my Sven. It's the 21" model.

I should invest in a nice saw. I have one of the Gerber retractables. Have never used it. In my BOB.

I should invest in a nice saw. I have one of the Gerber retractables. Have never used it. In my BOB.

If you got a Sven, I think you would fall in love with it! Considering how much you like to play with wood when you're not playing with steel! lol

If you got a Sven, I think you would fall in love with it! Considering how much you like to play with wood when you're not playing with steel! lol

Haha. :D Doesn't the top "bar" on the Sven get in the way, when sawing a larger diameter log?

Not at all. You just rotate the saw around the log your cutting. I've cut through 8"-9" logs with no problem and this is mainly done in the winter due to needing more wood to stay warm. In other seasons, we don't really need to any big stuff. It works great as a backpacking saw. The Silky Big Boy aint no joke either, it will put a serious hurtin on some fire wood!

Not at all. You just rotate the saw around the log your cutting. I've cut through 8"-9" logs with no problem and this is mainly done in the winter due to needing more wood to stay warm. In other seasons, we don't really need to any big stuff. It works great as a backpacking saw. The Silky Big Boy aint no joke either, it will put a serious hurtin on some fire wood!

Oh yeah, duh. I've looked into getting one of the Silkys before. I'm sure they're nice, as their price reflects it. I looked into a Bob Dustrude once or twice as well.

I used to be an axe guy myself, but found out when a friend gifted me that Sven, that I could harvest more wood with that saw than I could with my axe. With less spent energy and safer to use. I've had some hairy close calls with my axe and started getting down on my knees to chop. A saw to cut to length and a large knife to split those rounds was basically all I needed to make lots of firewood!

But still, there's something nostalgic about using an axe though!

I used to be an axe guy myself, but found out when a friend gifted me that Sven, that I could harvest more wood with that saw than I could with my axe. With less spent energy and safer to use. I've had some hairy close calls with my axe and started getting down on my knees to chop. A saw to cut to length and a large knife to split those rounds was basically all I needed to make lots of firewood!

But still, there's something nostalgic about using an axe though!

Yeah, I would think a saw would be the way to go. Thanks for making me spend more money bravo, haha.

Back