The Bush Hermit thread

6b892c2bb29449a7aeeb2681ace716d5.jpg

wow! :thumbup:

I'll let the photo do the talking other than to say having a Bush Hermit in hand is a satisfying experience. Having one in Camel Thorn is priceless:

DSC00839_zpsmedtmibi.jpg

Definitely one of my most favorite designs to come out of Fiddleback Forge to date. You've done us good Andy !

Last edited:
Peter, Peter, Peter.
Uping the stakes as usual are we?

Very nice! This and Phil's burl Hermit are outstanding!

Edited: There are LOTS of outstanding Hermits in this thread!

Peter, Peter, Peter.
Uping the stakes as usual are we?

Very nice! This and Phil's burl Hermit are outstanding!

Edited: There are LOTS of outstanding Hermits in this thread!

Thanks Sergio and yes, I agree.....many awesome knives in this thread !

Can't wait till the BH makes its appearance as part of the collaboration Trio.

there has been a change of plans. i believe i mentioned some of the trio BH's were being glued-up in my BTS thread last week

natural canvas micarta over black/orange

IMG_1273-vi.jpg

IMG_1272-vi.jpg

Since you asked Peter, here is a sneak peak of what's to come.

edd7237f962de60e0c8f5ca0c08ea03b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Justen:

Have you heard any shop talk as to the ETA on Liam's part of the project and/or how many sets will ultimately be made ? Perhaps Phillip or Andy can fill us in based on what they know......I'm sure expectations are running high amongst those bitten by the Osage bug.

Peter

BTW, your Camp Nessie is what lit the fuse for me on Camel Thorn. I also remember that CT board making its way through the throng at Andy's Christmas party. I'm also curious to see how the wood matures over time.

Peter,
There is supposed to be 15 sets made w/ each Maker getting 5.

Andy would be the person to give an ETA.

There are a LOT of great looking knives on this thread. I'll also go ahead and agree with the consensus that the Bush Hermit is an excellent model. What an beautiful realization of form and function meeting perfectly.

Justen:

Have you heard any shop talk as to the ETA on Liam's part of the project and/or how many sets will ultimately be made ? Perhaps Phillip or Andy can fill us in based on what they know......I'm sure expectations are running high amongst those bitten by the Osage bug.

Peter

BTW, your Camp Nessie is what lit the fuse for me on Camel Thorn. I also remember that CT board making its way through the throng at Andy's Christmas party. I'm also curious to see how the wood matures over time.

The CT is really something special. I think my whole collection could be CT and I would be fine with it.

To add to Phillip's comment, sourcing the proper Osage for axe handles is proving to be difficult. Liam has been banging out (pun intended) the axe heads, but getting good straight grained Osage at the min length he needs is taking a little time. It will certainly be a spectacular set once complete though!

I wanna give a shout out to Scott/Fogdart for letting me have a chance to own this beautiful Osage BH.

32991140770_8036a14bc2_b.jpg

He did an excellent job to remove the small guard and run the Osage over a fire to bring out its grain. I cannot be happier.

33246096201_31d7c0036d_b.jpg

Pants by Adventure Sworn. It is extremely well made and as good as a customed sheath.

32991142320_08f97aa4f3_b.jpg

My BH. I have the handle on the BH so much that I decided to get another one in convex grind. I jumped on it when I saw Scott putting it up for sale.

32991137920_433e417e82_b.jpg

real nice. :thumbup: after you have put it to use, i would be interested in hearing your thoughts on the convex vs. scandi grind. i know most of it is preference, but would still be interested. thanks.

real nice. :thumbup: after you have put it to use, i would be interested in hearing your thoughts on the convex vs. scandi grind. i know most of it is preference, but would still be interested. thanks.

IMO, scandi BH which is at 3/32 will definitely shine in bushcraft type tasks.

Don

IMO, scandi BH which is at 3/32 will definitely shine in bushcraft type tasks.

Don

right. i'm sure. but, "bushcraft" to me...IMO, it's just a name. when i go "out", i have a belt knife. i want it to be good in the camp, for camp stuff....stakes, fire prep, cutting cord, etc. but, i also want it to be good at fish/game processing. or, at least acceptable. so... that's what i'm asking. for all those tasks...the "impossible knife of one"...curious how you compare Andy's convex vs. scandi on the Bush Hermit. thanks buddy.

right. i'm sure. but, "bushcraft" to me...IMO, it's just a name. when i go "out", i have a belt knife. i want it to be good in the camp, for camp stuff....stakes, fire prep, cutting cord, etc. but, i also want it to be good at fish/game processing. or, at least acceptable. so... that's what i'm asking. for all those tasks...the "impossible knife of one"...curious how you compare Andy's convex vs. scandi on the Bush Hermit. thanks buddy.

Agree. I share the same thinking. I will report back when I get the chance to use them.

Don

Agree. I share the same thinking. I will report back when I get the chance to use them.

Don

awesome. thanks! :thumbup:

the reason why i ask is that i've been told that "convex" is the way to go, based on my definition of the do-it-all knife. but, i still find myself gravitating toward scandi grind blades. so, i'm definitely curious in your review. it is not often that i see a guy with the same knife in both grinds. so, this is my chance! er...your chance. er...uhhh...

...i will live vicariously through you. :D

thanks Don! :)

Last edited:
Errrrrg, I'm not sure about the Bush Hermit model but its starting to talk to me. Can someone possibly post a pic of a Bush Hermit and a Handyman, maybe laying on their right sides, tips pointed left and lined up vertically along the fronts of their handles? Kind of like this borrowed pic from Simon ...

Thanks!!

Back