The Bush Hermit thread

OK. I'm officially confused. Was the guard removal from this Bush Hermit an aftermarket job like in the Comprehensivist thread?? And who is Scott/Fogdart? Was this a secondhand knife? Will Fiddleback Forge do it?

I've certainly thought about doing it myself but if FF will accommodate me I'd let them handle it. OTOH, if not the Bushfinger is close and maybe a better choice for kitchen work. Without both in hand it's a difficult call.

Last edited:
I think I answered my own question. Just pored over the Model Specs Sticky. I don't need to mod anything. Bushfinger, KE Bushie, Gaucho, and Old School Ladyfinger are all 4-inch drop points without guards.
from a user knife the Bush Hermit damn near perfect. Especially a 1/8" tapered tang version.

from a user knife the Bush Hermit damn near perfect. Especially a 1/8" tapered tang version.
It really looks great but I can't have a guard. I need to be able to get the edge flat on a board when I need to.

Then I'd just grind it off as you need or get one ordered from the Forge without a guard.

What puts the Bush Hermit out in front of the Bushfinger?
The handle or the blade? Scandi or Convex?

I have been looking at the Bushfinger. But I have to admit, the Arete looks like it would earn its keep quite well.

But everywhere I look I see Bush Hermit, Bush Hermit, Bush Hermit!

Maybe I should just buy a Bush Hermit and drive it through my Ipad and live hapily ever after.

Compared to most other Fiddleback models, the Bush Hermit's swell on the bottom is further back, the part behind it is fuller, and the sides are relatively flat. To me, its handle feels "tall" in the hand. Between BF and BH, the curve of the blade is a bit different too.

I really like the Arete. I just received the KEB today, and I'm interested to see how those two stack up. Here's a comparison pic...

46021003771_8692bfeca1_h.jpg

OK. I'm officially confused. Was the guard removal from this Bush Hermit an aftermarket job like in the Comprehensivist thread?? And who is Scott/Fogdart? Was this a secondhand knife? Will Fiddleback Forge do it?

I've certainly thought about doing it myself but if FF will accommodate me I'd let them handle it. OTOH, if not the Bushfinger is close and maybe a better choice for kitchen work. Without both in hand it's a difficult call.
Yes, mine was an aftermarket mod by Scott(Fogdart). He was the one who sold me the knife too.

Compared to most other Fiddleback models, the Bush Hermit's swell on the bottom is further back, the part behind it is fuller, and the sides are relatively flat. To me, its handle feels "tall" in the hand. Between BF and BH, the curve of the blade is a bit different too.

I really like the Arete. I just received the KEB today, and I'm interested to see how those two stack up. Here's a comparison pic...

46021003771_8692bfeca1_h.jpg

R RobbieB

Thank you sir!
That shot is priceless for me. Taken as it was on the graph. It illustrates the subtle little nuances that are hard to distinguish in viewing them seperately.

I was a late adopter of the Kephart style blade. Not unlike that of the Arete.
Kephart himself had this to say about his knife.
"This knife weighs only 4 ounces. It was made by a country blacksmith, and is one of the homeliest things I ever saw; but it has outlived in my affections the score of other knives that I have used in competition with it, and has done more work than all of them put together."

Not unlike old Horace. I find that it lacks visual tension. But I have come to see the utility in such a blade. In hand it just seems to work. It may not be the "Rock Star" but it will build the stage for one.

Going off just that photo, and considering I already own the KE Bushie. I think my order of acquisition would be as follows.

#1. Arete,
#2. Bushfinger,
#3. Bush Hermit,

The Arete and Bushfinger may flip/flop, not sure. To be fair, part of that assessment is driven by the grinds. I like the higher grinds of the Arete and Bushfinger. But the Bush Hermit looks like it offers a great grip and would hog wood.

But that Arete looks like it would process critters, slice onions, spread peanut butter and still hog wood relatively well.

Decisions, decisions.

Thanks agian for the dhot and the feedback!

P.S.
I'm almost afraid to purchase another knife before Christmas.
I mean, what am I going to do with two autographed portraits of "Big Deal"

I find the balance of a Fiddleback make for a great throwing knife. Just wrap the handle with duct tape and you'll be set to throw.

Who owns the Starry night Bush Hermit or did it fall off a boat into the Atlantic?

Last edited:
Back