The Case Barlow is BACK

I saw a clip and pen in red bone with no shield. That's a winner!

Yeah it is.

0512190238.jpg

No idea what you're on about... where's your knife to show for it?

All four of mine are near flawless... I don't see yours...
He is calling Case knives junk but in reality his statement was junk.

Looks like a Shot Show 2019 limited edition is dropping! Anyone know how many pieces on this one? This is the first I've heard of it.

Flawless compared to what?

You don't see mine because you're new here. Case knives of 15-20 years ago were great. Not so much anymore. I don't accept it when a company's product gets worse in the quality department over the years. Everything should be improving. I have owned plenty of them and I have also handled about 40 of them in the last 5 years at a local store. Every single one has blade play and uneven grinds and are generally sloppy compared to the Case knives of old. It's a shame.

A guy I work with just bought a patriotic kirinite Barlow from Case. Scales look good but it has blade play and the grinds are poor.

Case still rounds the tips on many of their knives due to lazy sharpening.
I agree that the rounded tips are unfortunate. But I don't believe it's from sharpening; rather, I think it's from tumbling the blades. One manufacturer stamps the blade shape out with extra material on the tip, so that the point can be created by hand closer to the end of the production cycle. Case does not do that. They stamp out the blades, basically to shape, then toss them into a tumbler where the tips round out as a side effect of their primary goal for tumbling. Not ideal. But...Case knifes are literally half the cost of the other aforementioned manufacturer!

I just bought a blue jigged bone in spear and I'm thrilled with it. Other than the rounded tip and only having one bolster engraved, it's just wonderful. No blade play, great grinds, centered blade, very nice transitions, no light through the spring, just really nice. And the price point was great. I'm not say others with different experiences aren't being straight. I'm just sharing mine.

I'm going to pick up another 2019 barlow.

Last edited:
I got one of the single clip blade Barlows in Peacock Appaloosa bone today. I intended it as a gift. The covers are nice, though more of a solid green than the Peacock I've seen on others. There are some slight gaps but nothing big. Action is snappy and I don't see any blade rap. It doesn't have blade play when open.

The big issue is when closed. It isn't centered, but worse is the fact that the blade can be pushed side to side. All the way from touching one liner to touching the other liner.

Would this be a deal breaker for you? Because I think it is for me.

I got one of the single clip blade Barlows in Peacock Appaloosa bone today. I intended it as a gift. The covers are nice, though more of a solid green than the Peacock I've seen on others. There are some slight gaps but nothing big. Action is snappy and I don't see any blade rap. It doesn't have blade play when open.

The big issue is when closed. It isn't centered, but worse is the fact that the blade can be pushed side to side. All the way from touching one liner to touching the other liner.

Would this be a deal breaker for you? Because I think it is for me.
Yeah that's one thing that does bug me. I've noticed it more common on lock backs. I guess it would depend on the severity of the problem but def kinda a bummer. I'm thinking of picking one up but I'm having a hard time choosing.

If it was just going in my pocket, I'd probably let it slide. If it's intended as a gift, probably not.
I've actually added this comment to some knife orders, "This is intended to be a gift. I'd like a good example. Please check for blade play, liner gaps and other obvious defects. Thanks!" It might help, it might not. If I do return one, they had fair warning.

Back