The Case Barlow is BACK

If it was just going in my pocket, I'd probably let it slide. If it's intended as a gift, probably not.
I've actually added this comment to some knife orders, "This is intended to be a gift. I'd like a good example. Please check for blade play, liner gaps and other obvious defects. Thanks!" It might help, it might not. If I do return one, they had fair warning.

I called and said pretty much that after making the order, but should have put a note in as I was ordering. I was really happy with the other knives I got on the order. Hopefully I'll get a better one next time. I do think I'll try again on another 2019 Barlow later this year.

b8ZW3OZ.jpg

That bone is beautiful!

I agree that the rounded tips are unfortunate. But I don't believe it's from sharpening; rather, I think it's from tumbling the blades. One manufacturer stamps the blade shape out with extra material on the tip, so that the point can be created by hand closer to the end of the production cycle. Case does not do that. They stamp out the blades, basically to shape, then toss them into a tumbler where the tips round out as a side effect of their primary goal for tumbling. Not ideal. But...Case knifes are literally half the cost of the other aforementioned manufacturer!

I just bought a blue jigged bone in spear and I'm thrilled with it. Other than the rounded tip and only having one bolster engraved, it's just wonderful. No blade play, great grinds, centered blade, very nice transitions, no light through the spring, just really nice. And the price point was great. I'm not say others with different experiences aren't being straight. I'm just sharing mine.

I'm going to pick up another 2019 barlow.
Well, bad news in barlow land. While my blue jigged bone spear was basically wonderful, the two peacocks I purchased were very different. Both have a ton of blade play (and I'm not bothered by a small amount as some here are) and both have noticeable gaps in the back spring. Blades are centered. Bone is beautiful even if slabs are not really well matched. Sigh. Feeling like I want to return. :(

I, too, bought the shot show edition in red jigged bone. Fingers crossed that they take after their blue bone cousins and not the peacocks.

Last edited:
Well, bad news in barlow land. While my blue jigged bone spear was basically wonderful, the two peacocks I purchased were very different. Both have a ton of blade play (and I'm not bothered by a small amount as some here are) and both have noticeable gaps in the back spring. Blades are centered. Bone is beautiful even if slabs are not really well matched. Sigh. Feeling like I want to return. :(

I, too, bought the shot show edition in red jigged bone. Fingers crossed that they take after their blue bone cousins and not the peacocks.
Sorry to hear about the issues with those peacock barlows. :thumbsdown:

I think those handle scales are pretty sharp. I bet the retailer would let you exchange them for better examples. I have no problem asking my retailers to inspect a Case knife before sending it, their QC seems to warrant that lately.

Perusing a recent catalog arrival, I see that Case has a CV barlow with sawcut slabs, and a stag barlow to be available at some point. Those will be tough to resist.

I got one of the single clip blade Barlows in Peacock Appaloosa bone today. I intended it as a gift. The covers are nice, though more of a solid green than the Peacock I've seen on others. There are some slight gaps but nothing big. Action is snappy and I don't see any blade rap. It doesn't have blade play when open.

The big issue is when closed. It isn't centered, but worse is the fact that the blade can be pushed side to side. All the way from touching one liner to touching the other liner.

Would this be a deal breaker for you? Because I think it is for me.

Logan, every traditional knife I own I can flex the blades side ways to touch each liner...… It is the nature of the blades to flex...… They are not loose in the pivot and the pivots compressive force on the tang is proper..... How bad is the centering on the knife?

Logan, every traditional knife I own I can flex the blades side ways to touch each liner...… It is the nature of the blades to flex...… They are not loose in the pivot and the pivots compressive force on the tang is proper..... How bad is the centering on the knife?

That's a surprise to me, as few (if any) of mine can be pushed side to side in the closed position, but this one is definitely not right. It's loose. Not centered. I sent it back.

Guys we need to send back the bad ones. If enough people do it, they will hopefully get the message and up the quality control.

Also it is going to be real hard to not order the stag barlow when it comes out. Anyone know of any special case barlows being made for certain sites only? I see the peacock is only on one site, there was a other barlow from some site I can't remember. Just seeing if there are some other sites I'm missing.

Guys we need to send back the bad ones. If enough people do it, they will hopefully get the message and up the quality control.

Also it is going to be real hard to not order the stag barlow when it comes out. Anyone know of any special case barlows being made for certain sites only? I see the peacock is only on one site, there was a other barlow from some site I can't remember. Just seeing if there are some other sites I'm missing.
I saw a black synthetic Barlow on one site.

I’ve noticed more bolster stamps and less shields on some of these more-recent ones vs the initial few they announced. It makes me wonder if they planned these or if they are listening to the input/desires of the community.

I saw a black synthetic Barlow on one site.

I’ve noticed more bolster stamps and less shields on some of these more-recent ones vs the initial few they announced. It makes me wonder if they planned these or if they are listening to the input/desires of the community.
I dont know if we influence them or not, but I think it'd be silly not to think they have someone with an eye on out little corner. If they dont their missing out on having an ear on trends and flops, and if they do -Hey tell management "they want daddy barlows to!" Well least one guy does:rolleyes:

I’m super excited to hear about them releasing some of these versions in CV! They don’t make nearly enough patterns with carbon steel in my opinion.
Where is did that preorder pop up? Also what are the future (4?) options that are being released?

2 more this week, I could not resist jigged bone and this jigged bone is outstanding, no blade play, one does have a slightly light pull which the wife claimed right away. The red dye they are using is awful close to the color of the 60's and 70's Barlows. Great job Case.

IMG_0397.jpg IMG_0400.jpg IMG_0395.jpg

Anybody know if any of the upcoming, esp. stag will be single clip point blades?

I just got an email from one of the big dealers taking orders on four new series. On of them is sawcut brown bone cv and includes a two blade Barlow.
Ace, could you PM the dealer taking orders for these?
Thanks,
Steve

Back