1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

The Case Barlow is BACK

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Topgear9, Dec 22, 2018.

1. Ace Rimmer

Ace Rimmer

Jul 4, 2017
    OK, think I did it correctly...

2. Ace Rimmer

Ace Rimmer

Jul 4, 2017
    Just sent you a PM. Also, my mistake, SIX new series.

3. hornetguy

hornetguy Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2015
    Yes. I pre ordered one of the barlows, and have been looking at one of the others... can't remember the name of it... single blade spear point... I think it was the highest priced of that group.

4. Ace Rimmer

Ace Rimmer

Jul 4, 2017
    Tribal Lock? I have the whiskey bone CV version. Love it and that CV gets so sharp! (I got Tony Bose to autograph the box for mine. :))

Cutfinger likes this.
  5. Fodderwing

Fodderwing Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2017
    Well I sent this knife back for a replacement. After receiving the knife they emailed me to say they individually checked all of the remaining "old red bone" barlows they had and everyone of them had that amount of blade play. I don't know what to think about that. I ask for a refund which they gave me and I will try my luck with another dealer.

JohnDF likes this.
  6. 556hunter

556hunter

Mar 6, 2014
    Thank you for that! I got one ordered:)

Ace Rimmer likes this.
  7. hornetguy

hornetguy Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2015
    Yes.... Tribal Lock is it. I looked at the catalog when I got home. I'm still almost buying it. I certainly don't NEED another knife... but I really like the looks of these... and in CV? The will power is weakening.....

Ace Rimmer likes this.
  8. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    Sorry to hear that, Dwight. That is indeed disappointing and very telling. C'mon Case, I've seen you make great knives, let's get back to that tradition!!!

jmh33 and Fodderwing like this.
  9. JoeGoblyn

JoeGoblyn Gold Member Gold Member

May 9, 2018
    I bought one of the smooth red two blade Barlows and received it today. It’s beautiful. However, there’s some side to side play in both blades (I think I’m noticing this stuff more since I joined this forum).

Not sure if I should send back to the dealer or if sending it back to case would be a possibility?

Anyone have any experience?

Joe

10. Fodderwing

Jan 31, 2017
    Thanks John. Yeah I just don't get it. Anyway, I have yet another one on the way so we shall see. Fingers crossed.

11. HEMI 49

HEMI 49 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 9, 2018
    barlow.jpg barlow 1.jpg barlow 2.jpg I had to see for myself what the main blade looseness was all about...… So I ordered a "Dark Red Bone" 62009 1/2 SS; receiving it today...….. Main blade has ~ .003 inch tang to liner clearance, in areas, with detectable axial play...… Secondary blade has no measurable clearance and has no detectable play...… If compressive force was set incorrectly at manufacturing the secondary blade would also exhibit axial play..... Since this is not the case, I think the main blade tang is crowned from stamping the blade blank, embossing the tang or the drilling of the pivot hole.…… I think if you pulled the main blade out of the knife you would see it has a hump or crown rising toward the pivot hole...… This could probably be fixed by cold dropping the tang or machining it flat.....

This condition doesn't bother me and it is not detrimental to the knife's performance, so I'm keeping it...….. It is a home run in all other areas....……. It's a very stylish, snazzy looking knife...……...

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
    cbr1000, Cambertree, GE Jr and 5 others like this.
  12. Gary W. Graley

Gary W. Graley “Imagination is more important than knowledge" Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 2, 1999
    I have that one on order myself, hoping to see it by weeks end :) my 'traditional' knives have waned in the past few months down to only a few...

How thin are the blades ground down to? thickness behind the edge?

That jigging looks great btw !

G2

HEMI 49 likes this.
  13. Gary W. Graley

Gary W. Graley “Imagination is more important than knowledge" Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 2, 1999
    Not worth it? you mean that you are not going to try to clip the main blade? That'd be a shame, I think it would be a nice improvement and you'd have a pointier blade too.
    G2

Fred Sanford likes this.
  14. HEMI 49

Aug 9, 2018
    Gary,
    If you are asking me, my Red Case Barlow measures between .018 - .020 inch behind the primary blade cutting edge..... I find 90%+ of the knives I buy need sharpened upon taking them out of the box.. Case is no exception...….. (Some exceptions are WE, ZT, LionSteel to mention a few)…… So I give the cutting edges a little love and then I have something that will cut through something vs gnawing through it......

Cutfinger and Gary W. Graley like this.
  15. Gary W. Graley

Mar 2, 1999
    Thanks that sounds pretty good and I also usually have to tune up most all the knives that arrive too
    G2

Cutfinger and HEMI 49 like this.
  16. HEMI 49

Aug 9, 2018
    It's akin to sitting down to a meal at a restaurant...… The chef does most of the work, but you still have to throw spices, condiments, sweetener, etc on the meal before it is complete and usable...………

willard0341 and Gary W. Graley like this.
  17. Fodderwing

Jan 31, 2017
    Excellent all around AND ZERO BLADE PLAY. :) fullsizeoutput_1a5e.jpeg

TheFactor, Bigfattyt, Dschal and 17 others like this.
  18. Gary W. Graley

Mar 2, 1999
    Looking good
    G2

Fodderwing likes this.
  19. HEMI 49

Aug 9, 2018
    I have the same 2 knives Dwight...…. They are gorgeous, vibrant and well conceived...…….. The jigging on the dark red is stunning.. Destined to be tomorrow's museum piece...……….

Fodderwing and Gary W. Graley like this.
  20. Fred Sanford

Fred Sanford Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 3, 2006

You just made me realize that I didn't put updated pics in this thread. Can't have that ;)

I posted a separate thread here: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/a-couple-case-knives-of-mine.1661831/

But here are the pics so you don't have to go there. :)

I love it so much more with the clipped tip.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Later,
    Fred

TheFactor, Dschal, RDaneel and 11 others like this.