The Chris Reeve Knives Umfaan ........ A Small Review

nyefmaker

Gold Member
The Chris Reeve Knives Umfaan.............

What can I say about this little guy....? Well, I have had chances to get one a few times over the years. I was usually looking for others or had just purchased another CRK when one popped up, so was short on funds, etc. I finally scored one recently from a BF members and thought I would share with you my thoughts on it. Its a CRK that you honestly don't see around too much, but when one IS available, they never seem to last long. Lastly, I felt it was just something that I need to try and see what all the fuss was about.

For starters, it is Cute and Small. Its smaller than the small sebenza and thinner also. Me personally, I am a large sebenza guy, but for those loving the small sebenza, this should be right up your alley. As you would expect, its CRK Quality throughout. Fit and finish is perfect. Opens smooth. It has double thumb studs. BG-42 Blade. Lanyard cording is even a smaller diameter as well is a much smaller leather slip sheath, just like the large and small come with on certain models. AND one of the coolest UG/CGG Designs you could ask for. Would love to see this design on a large or small sebenza as well........For those of you that are wondering, the hex is size 1/16". Its pretty much patterned after the regular sebenza profile, just on an even smaller scale. If you can imagine a miniature sebenza, this would be it.

What Good is a review without pics....??? Well I took tons of them for ya.

For starters, I have some comparison pics for you all to see. Top: Large Regular Sebenza; Middle: Small Regular Sebenza; Bottom: Umfaan

And as requested, here is the Umfaan next to a Mnandi...!!!

Next Up: I wanted to see how much it WAS like a regular sebenza that we are all accustomed to. Well, it is indeed a miniature sebenza. It has ALL the parts a sebenza has. Blade pivot bushing, bronze washers, stop pin sleeve, rear scale standoff sleeve. Everything, its just scaled down to Umfaan Size....!!! As stated above, the hex is 1/16". Scale is stamped A01. Not sure if this stamping means the same thing as it does today as the BD Card is original and states 2000. I have Never seen the inner workings pictured, so am glad to provide that for you all to see.

Lastly, here are some random pics I took of the Umfaan. Enjoy...!!!

Last edited:
ALL the pics fit in the 1st post.....Enjoy....!!! :)

Last edited:
Very nice! Thanks for sharing your impressions with us, particularely the inside. As you mention. They do not appear very often at the scene. Would be interesting to see a Mnandi next to it.

Stefan

Very nice! Thanks for sharing your impressions with us, particularely the inside. As you mention. They do not appear very often at the scene. Would be interesting to see a Mnandi next to it.

Stefan

Ask and you shall receive my friend. I added a pic with the Umfaan next to my Mnandi..... Enjoy...!!!

Never have owned one, there were two posted a couple years ago at a price I thought was too high at the time but I should of jumped on them.
I am going through a phase of carrying in the bottom of my front pocket no sheath. So theoretically this would be right up my alley.
Thanks for posting, beautiful knife.

I had no idea the knife was that small. Comparison shots really put it in perspective.

I have owned an Umfaan, and while it IS a GREAT little knife, it is too small for me. I LOVE small knives, but it way too small for me.

Great review on an obscure topic! Love the pun in the title as well. Thanks for the effort to put this together.

This was a great post. I always appreciate seeing longer and in-depth posts like this one, James Longstreet's post on the 21st Anniversary, etc. Thank you nyefmaker!

Thanks for the review
They are probably just collectors items now, but I have always wondered if anyone had EDCed them and found them useful. They always seemed like they took small a little to far for me. Those UG/CGG designs are killer though.

Yeah this was a great review. Such a cool design! Love the comparing shit with the Mnandi!

Thanks for the review
They are probably just collectors items now, but I have always wondered if anyone had EDCed them and found them useful. They always seemed like they took small a little to far for me. Those UG/CGG designs are killer though.

I would say they are more of a collector piece as well. I thought about actually EDCing it and putting it in my wallet. It's thin enough. But have decided against that. It does have one of the coolest UG/CGG graphic I have ever seen on one.

I have owned an Umfaan, and while it IS a GREAT little knife, it is too small for me. I LOVE small knives, but it way too small for me.

I owned one, too, and though it was beautiful it was simply too small for me to use - unfortunately.

Thanks for the post nyefmaker! I recently bought one but can't bring myself to use it. I would like to get a plain Jane version that I can carry. My thoughts are that it would be great in an office environment.

Excellent post and great disassembly pics. Thanks from those of us who've never gotten to own one but have always been curious. Looks like it is sized right to be a heavy duty keychain knife, if that's not too much of an oxymoron.

Thanks for sharing! I have not been able to pick one up yet, but I will be adding one eventually:)

Ask and you shall receive my friend. I added a pic with the Umfaan next to my Mnandi..... Enjoy...!!!

Thanks a lot! Wow! Now with the Mnandi next to it I get a better idea about its size. Never knew that there is a smaller knife than the Mnandi within the CRK universe.

Back