The Chris Reeve Knives Umfaan ........ A Small Review

Great pics and write-up! It was really cool to note the first time I saw it how everything is done on a smaller scale. Thinner slabs, smaller screws and thumbstuds, everything. That made it hard to know how small it was until I held it because no part is out of proportion.

My first time around on CRK train back 8-10 years ago the cry was to bring the Umfaan back into regular production. Everyone seemed to want one... including myself.

I've never handled one, but seeing the size comparisons in these pics makes me think it may be out of the scope of what I want to carry in the EDC load out.

Excellent write up.

Thanks for the post nyefmaker! I recently bought one but can't bring myself to use it. I would like to get a plain Jane version that I can carry. My thoughts are that it would be great in an office environment.

FYI there are no plain jane versions of the Umfaan. They were only made for a few years and each year had a different design on the front scale. Yours is first year production and I believe was called "spear and grass". I owned one new from that year, they were made from 1997-2002.

Last edited:
There is at least one out there somewhere. You could special order a plain jane version from CRK.
(Just another knife I foolish let slip away :()

I would love a plain Jane version. I did call Angela today, and she told me a little more about it. Sadly it's not available even by special order.

Thanks for the review. I collect Mnandis and was surprised to see CRK makes a smaller knife. I'll stick to Mnandi, though.

Incredible - I missed this cool thread? :confused:

I love the Umfaan :) And I EDC the plain Jane a lot. Don't let the pics fool you - it's a tough little knife and a perfect addition to a larger CRK in the pocket.

Incredible - I missed this cool thread? :confused:

I love the Umfaan :) And I EDC the plain Jane a lot. Don't let the pics fool you - it's a tough little knife and a perfect addition to a larger CRK in the pocket.

That 1st one is amazing. 1st time I have even seen pics of it. Your pics also go to show you that they did indeed make a plain jane Umfaan. Thanks for posting some amazing pics.

Yes - Beautiful pictures and knives. I know I saw a plain Jane when searching old BF threads a while back.

These guys were so sleek. I owned a plain, a circles, and a chevron at one point and only sold them due to the post production high price I paid and small size. But boy were they cool. If only they were 6" oal. Excellent pictures! Thanks.

I was at the SHOT show in Atlanta in 1999. CRK had a small booth there, they had a plain lefty Umfaan. I failed to buy it (seems like it was $330) and have regretted it ever since.

Yay! My first CR folder finally arrived today! Thanks to nyefmaker for the heads up!👍
Few pics....

38316129b44178d0761c6225b8457003_zps3xzvhcsq.jpg

f2e6a98c1a4b97b245fff7a1363e0d98_zpshca83ger.jpg

dfe4335e29dc2e308ca139a23ab7f627_zpsfvh8rimt.jpg

I presume the small black velvet type pouch is nothing to do with CRK?
Also can the knife be dated to a year by the CCG? I believe it changed annually on the Umfaan.

Nick

Any chance this could be added to one of the stickies please, it's a great resource for anyone who comes across an Umfaan!
Nick

Oh and in the spirit of this cool thread, another pic of a Large regular next to an Umfaan....
2c9989356d496d2d1d0e03bb1ac367f0_zpsafso38it.jpg

Done-

Can be found in the history thread. Seems appropriate considering the status of the Umfaan.

Back