The Chris Reeve Knives Umfaan ........ A Small Review

Discussion in 'Chris Reeve Knives' started by nyefmaker, Sep 10, 2016.

1. bhyde

bhyde UNNECESSARY EVIL Staff Member Super Mod Moderator

Mar 19, 2002
    No problem.

It's not necessarily something I think about when thinking of threads to put in the stickies..your recommendations help a bunch!

by the way- It's Bill :)

2. Wrobelan

Wrobelan

Aug 28, 2011
    Great to see this one stickied. I've probably checked it 1k times and will keep coming back to it.

3. Nrthfce

Nrthfce

Sep 17, 2014
    All bg-42's... could not be happier
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Not to start a conversation and a history links thread, but obviously I purchased lanyard pins for the larger of the two, butany idea of whether they made a lanyard pin ever for the umfaan?

loon#r likes this.
  4. Nrthfce

Nrthfce

Sep 17, 2014
    And here's a picture to give people an idea of what it looks like in a person's hand who wears extra-large gloves. Perfectly usable and exactly what I was looking for.
    [​IMG]

5. sextant

sextant Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 21, 2006
    Congrats! The Umfaan is a great knife :)

6. lmleck

lmleck When the going gets tough, the dumb get dumber !!! Platinum Member

Dec 8, 2007
    My 2001 Umfaan,Maple Leaf, with my 1998 Small Sebenza Damascus, Decorated, for comparison.
    The leaves are a dark copper color.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Talus likes this.
  7. kwackster

kwackster

Dec 23, 2005
    There is currently an Umfaan for sale on Edgematters.uk

This one:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
  8. Cajun Blade

Cajun Blade

Aug 15, 2015
    That was a cool "lanyard hack" idea! To leave the lanyard tied in the takedown pics. There have been a few times that I didn't take apart a knife because I didn't want the hassle of trying to re-tie the lanyard exactly as originally done.
    I also have a Umfaan (zig zag model) that I was reluctant to take a peek inside because the lanyard is so small that I was afraid my big clumsy hands would never be able to make the lanyard look right again.
    Thanks for the idea!
    Also I agree with your very good review of the Umfaan. Thanks for taking the time to post that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Cajun Blade

Cajun Blade

Aug 15, 2015
    [emoji1360]

10. Thomason

Thomason

Nov 28, 2002
    I thought I knew what I knew. Now I'm thinking maybe I don't know at all. :D
    What year was the "Sun & Spear" umfaan made? I got one here on the forums with a birth card of 2000, saw a post where someone said they had one from 1999, another post showed a picture of one with a 2004 birth card, another was posted with a 2002 birth card. Other than the UG's of course, I thought the designs changed each year.

What prompted this question was that I took mine apart this morning for a lube job as it was just a little stiff, did not come with the maintenance records.;), and I knew it had some age on it. It was pretty dry. I lube it up and now it is slick as goose grease. Amazing!

11. Cajun Blade

Cajun Blade

Aug 15, 2015
    Now you have me curious!

12. Lone_Wolfe

Lone_Wolfe Dazed and Confused Platinum Member

May 3, 2011
    The Umfaan was discontinued before 2004.