The coin pocket knife.

I've put a lot of thought into this and I think a GEC Tuscosa in the watch pocket and a SAK Electrician in a slip would be a perfect carry combo. The Tuscosa is super easy to open with arthritic fingers and the locking feature makes it safe with fumble fingers. The Electrician can fill any "unusual" needs that might pop up.

I don't disagree with you, but are two necessary or just what a person wants? I have this problem too.

I don't disagree with you, but are two necessary or just what a person wants? I have this problem too.
I don't usually carry two knives, but it's just something I'd been thinking about. I love my small watch pocket knives, but I also enjoy my larger multi-blade knives. Just seemed like a good way to have my cake and eat it too.

Speaking of watch pocket knives,

I would personally like to see GEC make a small peanut sized knife with a clip blade and a bottle opener.

More & more stores are carrying soda pop in glass bottles made with sugar. :D

My beer scout obviously works, but refuses to leave the house. :p

Just a "before" morning coffee thought that popped in my head. :confused:

- Del

I don't usually carry two knives, but it's just something I'd been thinking about. I love my small watch pocket knives, but I also enjoy my larger multi-blade knives. Just seemed like a good way to have my cake and eat it too.

Speaking of watch pocket knives,

I would personally like to see GEC make a small peanut sized knife with a clip blade and a bottle opener.

More & more stores are carrying soda pop in glass bottles made with sugar. :D

My beer scout obviously works, but refuses to leave the house. :p

Just a "before" morning coffee thought that popped in my head. :confused:

- Del

Not really a bad idea. I'd love to see a nice peanut style knife with the second blade a Victorinox type combo tool, like on the Vic bantam. It's a nicer tool than the American style scout knife cap lifter and has good Phillips screw capability with the inner corner of the driver.

I generally carry my 2014 BladeForums knife in my watch pocket weekends when I am in jeans

Enjoyed this post very much Carl. :thumbsup: This past Saturday my son had came by for a visit when some boxes arrived containing Christmas gifts I had bought on line. I had my peanut sized Ka-Bar stockman in my pocket so I puled it out to open the boxes to inspect the contents. My son laughed and pulled a large Sebenza out of his pocket and quoted that scene from Crocodile Dundee "that's not a knife this is a knife" then pulled out that bowie. Funny thing is my little stockman cut those boxes open as well if not better than his titanium brick.

....My son laughed and pulled a large Sebenza out of his pocket and quoted that scene from Crocodile Dundee "that's not a knife this is a knife" then pulled out that bowie. Funny thing is my little stockman cut those boxes open as well if not better than his titanium brick.
That is the thing about knives. I know a lot of folks here like Sebenza's and fairly large folding knives in general. But when you really get down to basic cutting and the dominant purpose of a folding knife, the traditionals work very well and it is just a matter of what size suits you best or to have multiple choices available like me and probably most of us.

Sure the larger blade comes in handly for cutting sandwiches and so forth.

I don't mind a small blade but do need a good size handle to hold on to. An EZ open notch is good too. I've gotten pretty good at putting them on applicable knives thanks to arthritic hands along with a few other parts.--KV

That is the thing about knives. I know a lot of folks here like Sebenza's and fairly large folding knives in general. But when you really get down to basic cutting and the dominant purpose of a folding knife, the traditionals work very well and it is just a matter of what size suits you best or to have multiple choices available like me and probably most of us.

Sure the larger blade comes in handly for cutting sandwiches and so forth.

Here's how you cut a sandwich or burger in half with a peanut size knife;

Turn it over upside down on plate. Then cut down through as far as blade will reach. Then, carefully turn over right side up and cut through on the same line. It's now cut in half with two cuts. A 4 inch thick sandwich can be cut in half with a 2 inch blade of you think about what your doing.

I have a handful of modern folders my favorite is a Kershaw Blur with the Elmax blade but it only gets very limited pocket time I just prefer a slipjoint. I know a lot of folks prefer moderns and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

You're yarns remind me of my grandfather's generation (born 1940 and 1946). Dad's dad always had a Old Timer stockman, a Boker Congress, or a Barlow until he got in his 70's when he switched to a small tinker. Being a mill worker and a scout master, he needed something "tough" in his younger days, but his retirement demanded the tinker for tinkering and whittling. I've got two of his pipes and two of his knives, and I use both regularly.
I am a brick mason/pastoral intern, and I've found that a Case Peanut (or a small substitute like a Boker 494, or a small Buck lockback), and a Vic. Pioneer straddles the line between the two jobs well. So does a corncob or Dr. Grabow pipe filled with Sir Walter Raleigh. My hard-use knife on a jobsite is the same knife I carry on hospital visits or while preaching.
In short, if it worked for the old guys, it can work for me.

Careful, this could become another "25" thread.

cDKH4rxh.jpg

Quite possibly the "perfect" coin pocket knife in existence...

AKC, I think that is precisely what Jackknife has been trying to avoid. Really nice collection and display!

J jackknife - thank you for sharing that wonderful story. There is much to be learned from your insight :)
I haven't pared things down to just the coin pocket knife quite yet but I am never without one. At first it was primarily a Peanut but then that 14 run came along and messed it all up. I have several 14s now and quite often reach for one of those. Then I try not to forget about my Case Pen knife or Swayback so they get some time. But if I'm being honest, most days one of my SAK Classics ends up in the coin pocket. I find any of those options to be quite sufficient for the most part.

I'm getting there.

A couple decades behind you probably, but cancer and the resulting disabilities are limiting. My young Army days are almost 20 years past. My days of backpacking silly distances with heavy loads are gone. Nowadays it's mostly car camping or short hikes in. A small puukko style fixed blade with a SAK of some sort accomplishes all I need in the outdoors. I work in a hospital so a small office friendly knife works best. No call for a stout overbuilt knife that can pry.

I still get enjoyment of ownership, I just find myself using them less & less. Thankfully(?) my oldest son has inherited the knife-nut gene so I have someone to hand them down to. Some I just hold on to for sentimental reasons and they're mainly around as a touchstone for fond memories.

I'm getting there.

A couple decades behind you probably, but cancer and the resulting disabilities are limiting. My young Army days are almost 20 years past. My days of backpacking silly distances with heavy loads are gone. Nowadays it's mostly car camping or short hikes in. A small puukko style fixed blade with a SAK of some sort accomplishes all I need in the outdoors. I work in a hospital so a small office friendly knife works best. No call for a stout overbuilt knife that can pry.

I still get enjoyment of ownership, I just find myself using them less & less. Thankfully(?) my oldest son has inherited the knife-nut gene so I have someone to hand them down to. Some I just hold on to for sentimental reasons and they're mainly around as a touchstone for fond memories.

Well, you're doing better than me. None of my three kids inherited the knifeitis accumulates that I was infected with. My nephew Mark and my grandson Ryan are the resident knife nuts of the family, but even then, it a more limited disease in them. Both my older boy and my daughter are SAK enthusiasts, and their willful possession is limited to the Victorinox made SAK.s.

Back when I started to downsize, it was all started by noticing how many of my accusations were not being carried at all anymore. For whatever reason, they got shoved to the back of the line and it started me thinking that "hey, if I'm not using them, why do I have them?"

I took those I carried almost everyday, and put them on the right. Then I took those I wasn't using let alone carrying, and put them on the left. I ended up with a handful of small knives on the right, and a pretty big pile of knives on the left. The rest is history.

I was laid off some months ago and at present am looking at retiring a year or so earlier than planned. Regardless of how that pans out, it is likely that I will be doing less physical (and much less well paid) work if I do re-enter the workforce. I already knew that Carl was correct in his assessment of smaller knives being the choice of older farts, but now I am living it. I haven't put a large knife in my pocket in all those months and my bigger workhorses have been used strictly around the house and yard.

When you are going to the doctor or running errands or etc., if you put a large knife in your pocket, it is likely you will not be in a situation to use it comfortably. Somehow, it seems even more jarring to genteel society when a white haired individual pulls out a OHO to help someone open a package. A Schrade Stockman fits me pretty well right about now, and it fits most watch pockets fairly comfortably.

I go even smaller quite often. My Mighty Mite and similar sized knives are socially acceptable enough to use literally anywhere. You can be in line in a crowd and use a tiny knife like that to trim a thread and no one bats an eye.

I had the epiphany some years back, actually. Smaller knives = more use. Zero dot zero reactions to having such a handy tool on your person. And watch pocket carry has always been my choice for a small knife.

I've not trimmed my collection yet. The immediate future is still uncertain. I have spread my collection out for a look. Since Christmases will have to be a more frugal affair, I can see a lot of my knives going out as "extras" with presents this time of year.

JK,
I remember an old guy telling me....the older you get the smaller your edc guns & knives get! Well I'm 75 & what he said has become true for me!Even at 75 I manage to do some stupid things
Jim

Back