The coin thread--post pictures of your traditional knives with a coin

RR Small Barlow in Ivory Bone and 3d (Threepence) from Eire with a Hare on it. We get a lot of hares in towns here and they're a large size too-no real predators:cool:

16qHBaL.jpg

... We get a lot of hares in towns here and they're a large size too-no real predators:cool:

16qHBaL.jpg
Prepare the saddle with bacon, let 24h in a liter white Jura wine with spices, salt, pepper, bouquet garni, then 50' in the oven, regularly water with melted butter and spoonfuls of marinade. Chop the liver with onions and parsley. Brown in butter; flour and, when browned, moisten with filtered marinade. Reduce that sauce and serve with the hare. Then enjoy hare à la Jurassienne! :)
The following will be à la Normande. :D

What is that coin? Is it made into a seal for wax?
That knife speaks for itself:thumbsup:

Looks like a Maria Theresa Thaler ("Thaler" is origin of the word "Dollar"). You can't tell anything from the date, they have been minted continuously with the 1780 date ever since Maria Theresa's death in 1780. Although it is an Austrian coin, mints all over Europe have minted it at one time or another. They are still used as currency in the Middle East.
Here is the obverse of the Maria Theresa Thaler:
OnWVBQd.png

Last edited:
Looks like a Maria Theresa Thaler. You can't tell anything from the date, they have been minted continuously with the 1780 date ever since Maria Theresa's death in 1780. Although it is an Austrian coin, mints all over Europe have minted it at one time or another. They are still used as currency in the Middle East.
:thumbsup: They're also used on both side of the red sea, because the high silver value.

What is that coin? Is it made into a seal for wax?
That knife speaks for itself:thumbsup:

You got the answer from others:cool: They're nice coins the Maria Theresa as they have a very high bullion content and the Austrian eagle is a handsome design, worth getting one in for the collection.

But I have a question for you: I don't know much about US coinage but that Indian Head gold piece is wonderful, never seen one. Is it 10 or 20 Dollar? Were they actual currency? In Europe before 1914, Britain, France, Germany, Russia and others all had gold coinage in circulation. The war soon stopped that, in came paper, then plastic in the 70s now its digital. I DETEST this cashless society thing, a dangerous fraud!:poop:

In Europe before 1914, Britain, France, Germany, Russia and others all had gold coinage in circulation.

The USA went off the gold standard in 1933,
they made it illegal to posses them!
An American could even face criminal penalties using them abroad...
The Gov collected them all up and melted them into bars:thumbsdown:

All of those vintage European gold coins are available here for melt value.
I don't have the cheddar for that, I'm collecting a 1910 type set.

My state does not charge any sales tax on PM purchases,
We pay tax if we sell for a profit...
I know about the taxes in Europe on PM's, and have always wondered why?

Cashless society deserves it's own thread:poop:

Yu38oS5.jpg

The USA went off the gold standard in 1913, then in 1933 they made it illegal to posses them!
We really didn't go completely off the gold standard until 1973. The dollar was not convertible to gold by U.S. citizens, but the dollar was still backed by gold and convertible to gold by foreign governments at a fixed exchange rate of $35 per ounce until the Nixon Gold Shock when the Bretton Woods system was replaced with fiat currency.

Thanks, I edited
1913 is when they invented the power to print as much as they wanted ...

Back