The cracked eye

Pretty common thing, really. There are lots of otherwise nice heads around with them. Not going to pay for the privelege of fixing one but i get em thrown in buying other stuff sometimes. I've fixed quite a few, and had good luck. This one is going to be another axe for the chainsaw falling lineup.

Nothing high tech about it. On this poor old woodslasher, I used an oxy acetylene torch to weld, a wet rag and dribbling hose to keep the bit cool, and an angle grinder to clean it up.

Theres two cracks here, and the top of the eye was pretty beat up. It's also been slightly deformed.
EJE6VV2.jpg

bodbmx1.jpg

Clean up the top a little first
JahIwXq.jpg

ymOIriT.jpg

Grind out the cracks, and shine up the bit to see if any change in temper occurs
bBSFrbn.jpg

Wrap an old t shirt around, held with wire.
I just set a hose on top of the rag, at a dribble to keep it constantly wetting.
3lJ5FAI.jpg

Welded
CMpcJeb.jpg

Clearly no issues overheating the bit
6ApIY9N.jpg

Clean up time
BhKL5Zg.jpg

H10SxUH.jpg

Theres a thin spot here I don't like
OxdeMDn.jpg

So I wrapped it again and touched it up
u0LlvYS.jpg

rIGwqoM.jpg

A coat of paint
mO3Xnq2.jpg

Putting it on a strait 26", a fallers axe. I use that setup a lot.
Jm4xYKe.jpg

Will the repair hold for the wedging? It looks fine but you dont know for sure until you hang it. Drove it pretty tight, as you can see by the shape.
F6PBcuL.jpg

Looks just fine!
D6G78bT.jpg

z21ihZL.jpg

Tennesee makes a nice handle, but thick. Suits this job well enough as it is though.
Aren't those fatwood wedges a beautiful sight :)
iLoKrnh.jpg

OWGCYj2.jpg

Time to knock a few wedges and bump some knots ;)

Muleman77...
Very nice professional work and outcome. I was just wondering , do you have any concern
about microfractures ? thanks.

Charles

Muleman77...
Very nice professional work and outcome. I was just wondering , do you have any concern
about microfractures ? thanks.

Charles

Well, it's possible. My welding skills are certainly in the middle of the road. I have fixed about 8 or 10 similarly and they have not failed up to now.

An eye that was a little to hard will be softened by the process, that's a plus.

I guess the bottom line is it's better than what it was. We're not talking aircraft or high pressure gas lines here. If one should crack, I'll fix it again!
:)

Pretty common thing, really. There are lots of otherwise nice heads around with them. Not going to pay for the privelege of fixing one but i get em thrown in buying other stuff sometimes. I've fixed quite a few, and had good luck. This one is going to be another axe for the chainsaw falling lineup.

Nothing high tech about it. On this poor old woodslasher, I used an oxy acetylene torch to weld, a wet rag and dribbling hose to keep the bit cool, and an angle grinder to clean it up.

Theres two cracks here, and the top of the eye was pretty beat up. It's also been slightly deformed.
EJE6VV2.jpg

bodbmx1.jpg

Clean up the top a little first
JahIwXq.jpg

ymOIriT.jpg

Grind out the cracks, and shine up the bit to see if any change in temper occurs
bBSFrbn.jpg

Wrap an old t shirt around, held with wire.
I just set a hose on top of the rag, at a dribble to keep it constantly wetting.
3lJ5FAI.jpg

Welded
CMpcJeb.jpg

Clearly no issues overheating the bit
6ApIY9N.jpg

Clean up time
BhKL5Zg.jpg

H10SxUH.jpg

Theres a thin spot here I don't like
OxdeMDn.jpg

So I wrapped it again and touched it up
u0LlvYS.jpg

rIGwqoM.jpg

A coat of paint
mO3Xnq2.jpg

Putting it on a strait 26", a fallers axe. I use that setup a lot.
Jm4xYKe.jpg

Will the repair hold for the wedging? It looks fine but you dont know for sure until you hang it. Drove it pretty tight, as you can see by the shape.
F6PBcuL.jpg

Looks just fine!
D6G78bT.jpg

z21ihZL.jpg

Tennesee makes a nice handle, but thick. Suits this job well enough as it is though.
Aren't those fatwood wedges a beautiful sight :)
iLoKrnh.jpg

OWGCYj2.jpg

Time to knock a few wedges and bump some knots ;)
I wouldn’t have thought to try that with a torch! I have done some repairs using a TIG welder, basically the same idea, melting the material back together without adding filler rod. Thanks for sharing and showing what can be done with patience and skill!

Back