The CRK Insingo Hangout!

The Insingo blade shape is awesome. Up until a few weeks ago, I also had a Sm Micarta Insingo. Couldn't pass up trading it for a Lg CF 21 :D One of my favorite CRKs will always be the Sm Plain Jane Insingo. I greatly prefer the plain Jane handles on the Sm Sebs.

Here are my remaining Insingo's: image.jpg

I've never been a fan of sheepsfoot or wharncliffe type blades, but the look is a little more tolerable for me on the Insingo. I was wondering what people like about them compared to the clip point in use (not really looks or that they're less threatening). What tasks do you find easier with the Insingo blade? I've always liked a tip and belly in my knives, but I see a lot of praise for the Insingo for actual EDC use. I'm pretty sure my next Sebenza will be a small micarta, but I was thinking about throwing in a little variety and possibly getting it in the Insingo version as both my 21s are clip points.

I've never been a fan of sheepsfoot or wharncliffe type blades, but the look is a little more tolerable for me on the Insingo. I was wondering what people like about them compared to the clip point in use (not really looks or that they're less threatening). What tasks do you find easier with the Insingo blade? I've always liked a tip and belly in my knives, but I see a lot of praise for the Insingo for actual EDC use. I'm pretty sure my next Sebenza will be a small micarta, but I was thinking about throwing in a little variety and possibly getting it in the Insingo version as both my 21s are clip points.

I no longer own an Insingo; just a clip. I prefer the clip myself but the Insingo's felt a lot like a folding kitchen knife.

I dont have an Insingo either, but I have carried several modified wharncliffes (MW) for years and feel that I can offer something here. Essentially the blade shape will easily do anything a clip can do except for belly related activities (like skinning). Im not saying that you cannot skin with it, but the whole bennefit of the lower point is the sharp transition at the point and its relative angle to the wrist in the neutral position. This makes the MW exceptional for cutting holes in things in that you need not lift your elbow much to achieve the angle that puts the transition point (tip/spine) in proper alignment to pierce without stabbing.

(wow that might be hard to read...try this to clarify....hang a sheet of paper and try to slash through it with your clip point. Notice how it gets easier if you put the tip of the knife in the lead as you slash? Where does your elbow/wrist go to acomplish this? You can do the same thing with a MW without needing to do that odd movement...you only will need to flick your wrist)

Imagine cutting a coupon out of the middle of a newspaper page (without cutting the rest of the page). You need not raise your elbow as much. The same reason (ease of piercing with slash-type cuts) is why the blade shape is NOT desirable for skinning (because you generally do not want to pierce or slash the hyde.

All the other tasks I do, generally involve cutting that is done equally well with MW or drop points...so, yes, the difference really is not a matter of "better at everything". It is really a matter of better at a couple things, the same at most things, and not as good at a couple things.

Another bennefit of a MW is you effectively have more flat edge than a more bellied design. So, if you are doubling over rope and cutting it all day long, and can only have a blade X inches long, a MW will offer you more edge to do the cutting before you slip up the belly (where your edge is not perpendicular to the cut direction) and off the tip.

Is it right for you? Ill suggest that you will never really know til you try. Some like the looks, some like the performance, some like both. Regardless both are subjective to the user and his/her uses;)

Last edited:
I dont have an Insingo either, but I have carried several modified wharncliffes (MW) for years and feel that I can offer something here. Essentially the blade shape will easily do anything a clip can do except for belly related activities (like skinning). Im not saying that you cannot skin with it, but the whole bennefit of the lower point is the sharp transition at the point and its relative angle to the wrist in the neutral position. This makes the MW exceptional for cutting holes in things in that you need not lift your elbow much to achieve the angle that puts the transition point (tip/spine) in proper alignment to pierce without stabbing.

(wow that might be hard to read...try this to clarify....hang a sheet of paper and try to slash through it with your clip point. Notice how it gets easier if you put the tip of the knife in the lead as you slash? Where does your elbow/wrist go to acomplish this? You can do the same thing with a MW without needing to do that odd movement...you only will need to flick your wrist)

Imagine cutting a coupon out of the middle of a newspaper page (without cutting the rest of the page). You need not raise your elbow as much. The same reason (ease of piercing with slash-type cuts) is why the blade shape is NOT desirable for skinning (because you generally do not want to pierce or slash the hyde.

All the other tasks I do, generally involve cutting that is done equally well with MW or drop points...so, yes, the difference really is not a matter of "better at everything". It is really a matter of better at a couple things, the same at most things, and not as good at a couple things.

Another bennefit of a MW is you effectively have more flat edge than a more bellied design. So, if you are doubling over rope and cutting it all day long, and can only have a blade X inches long, a MW will offer you more edge to do the cutting before you slip up the belly (where your edge is not perpendicular to the cut direction) and off the tip.

Is it right for you? Ill suggest that you will never really know til you try. Some like the looks, some like the performance, some like both. Regardless both are subjective to the user and his/her uses;)
Great post. Thanks for the info. If I had to choose today, I'd probably go clip but it is one of the better looking sheepsfoot styles out there. Wharncliffes such as the Hinderer variety and the Yojimbo just look like box cutters to me.

Back to pics

20150110_082910_1_wm.jpg

IMG_150_edit_1421808658418.jpg

Unit- great post. I think I understand now. I don't like the look but tempted to try the performance.

Glad it helps in some way.

I wouldn't want to try and sway anyone away from one blade type or the other. They are both great for what they do, it just depends on what you want to do and how you want to do it.

Lately I'm carrying the tanto and loving it. All good, just different;)

I dont have an Insingo either, but I have carried several modified wharncliffes (MW) for years and feel that I can offer something here. Essentially the blade shape will easily do anything a clip can do except for belly related activities (like skinning). ...........Is it right for you? Ill suggest that you will never really know til you try. Some like the looks, some like the performance, some like both. Regardless both are subjective to the user and his/her uses;)

Knicely summed up....

I seem to need to remove a lot of slivers and trim hang-nails in my strong hand with my weak hand.... a 3" wharncliffe is easier (for me) than a 3" clip (or drop).

And, I think there must be good reasons that replaceable box cutter blades are shaped that way.

Don't have the Insingo but I've been saving my pennies and am nearly ready to purchase. First, I want to hold one in my hands. There's a store nearby that has some in stock and I just haven't been there yet.

I liked the looks of several Benchmade's. When I held them, not one of the felt "right" -- to me. So, I'm going to have to hold an Insingo (and mnandi). If the Insingo feels right to me, then I am going for it. I can't afford safe queens, so this is going to be my everyday working knife (so to speak, such as it is for a semi-retired amateur knife sharpener!).

I"m curious to learn if there are any Wicked Edge users out there that sharpen their Insigne's and what degrees they're using. I was thinking a 15 or 16 degree primary with a 19 or 20 degree micro bevel?

Does this sound correct?

I ordered a standard small Insingo. It only took me five years to choose between whether to buy the large or small. I really like the modified wharncliffe shape, and see this design as being more practical for me personally.

Jim

I have a large 21 Insigno on the way and bought it because it looks like a great every day camp folder. Veggie prep, meat prep, whittling, and slicing... Plus it's a Sebby so I have no problem putting it to some hard use- and what it can't handle my Nyala will...

Back