The Delica Effect

I have 6 or 7 Spyderco folders that I alternate between. For the past couple of years I've mostly carried a Para 2 swapping it for a Stretch, Caly 3.5 or a Salt 1 for specialized activities. Recently I got a Native 5 Lightweight and I like that a lot, too. Then I picked up a Delica. I wanted something in HAP40 and that was what happened to be available, though for some reason the Delica never really appealed to me. Now I find that I'm carrying the Delica exclusively. It's kind of crept up on me--I'll look over the my small collection to pick something to carry for the day and after taking up the Para 2 or one of the others and staring at it for moment or two I'll put it back and pocket the Delica. Every day. For about a month now... Anyone else have this happen?

Yeah, for about 20 years the Delica took the majority of my pocket time. A Chaparral gets some time when in a suit or dress pants. I do miss the molded in clips though...

I just got a delica and I'm surprised how much I like it. I'm questioning why I have a blurple pm2 on preorder. The delica is almost perfect to me and I'm loving the thin blade.

Yes, it happened to me... but I learned that I MUST rotate knives. I deep pocket carry and burned a hole in my pocket exactly where the Delica clip hit.

Yes I have an affair with the Delica.

I literally will love the Delica one day more than other Spydercos because of it's size and the way it "fits" my hand and pocket and the next day I'll love the Endura more because it still feels so good in hand but gives more blade length.

The Delica is definitely my "if I could only have one" pocket knife though.

Last edited:
Ironically, just the other day I was just thinking about the smaller EDCs I like to carry at work: Native lw, Chaparral, UKPK, Caly Jr... and after a while it dawned on me that I've had a SB Delica for probably over a year that I still haven't actually carried. I need to get that thing in the rotation!

The Endura seems huge in comparison, I got one of those in HAO40 at the same time. I'll probably like that too, if I can put down the Delica, that is.

I love my Delica. Carrying and using it is a blast. Spyderco certainly knew what they were doing with that one.

A Delica gets more carry time for me than any other knife. It's enough blade for my everyday use, it's got excellent ergos, and it carries very well. I bought the Delica 4 FFG as an afterthought. It's turned into my go to. Having options like SB and HAP40 only make it better. I have ZDP, VG 10, SB and HAP40 versions right now.

f9947245895de93f19ddb279c103be68.jpg

I always carry the G10, ti or cf spydies during weekdays, but prefer the FRN's for home. My "Delica" is the Stretch... :) I just prefer the size and choil.

I have xxxxx of Spyderco Knives but I only have 9 of the Delica ZDP189's and yes I do rotate them just about every 2 or 3 day's just for the heck of it ~~ I reckon you could say that the Delica w/ZDP189 is my Fav. !* LOL

Mine has broken down thousands of boxes. The Tasman is a close contender. It gets used in the summer mostly, trimming trees/bushes, etc. I beat the hell out of my knives, lol.
22706872243_8c79d69560_c.jpg

I always, always recommend the Delica to people just looking for a good tool. It was my first Spyderco, and has gotten the most use overall. It's also the reason why 4 out of my 5 Spyderco knives are FRN and have a back-lock. :)

I love the Delica 4. When it came out, it was love at first hold.

If I had to be limited to one folder it would be a Delica of some sort.

The Delica is somewhat a demonstration of CQI or Kaizen. Continual improvement based on customer response. Those little tweaks that occur as a result of interaction with the customer's thoughts.

sal

Back