The Delica Effect

I just purchased the inventory of a small defunct gun shop. There were several Spydercos in the mix. I had no intentions of keeping any of them, but this thread made me decide to keep a Delica :) Actually I'm now debating keeping a couple different models. I hope I have developed a new habit.

Great first post in your 7 years of registered membership! :D

Do yourself a favor, and give a few of those models you may have picked up a solid try. You may find they are great tools that could work well for you. ;)

I have 6 or 7 Spyderco folders that I alternate between. For the past couple of years I've mostly carried... a Stretch, Caly 3.5 or a Salt 1 for specialized activities. Recently I got a Native 5 Lightweight and I like that a lot, too. Then I picked up a Delica. ...though for some reason the Delica never really appealed to me. Now I find that I'm carrying the Delica exclusively. It's kind of crept up on me--I'll look over the my small collection to pick something to carry for the day and after taking up the Para 2 or one of the others... I'll put it back and pocket the Delica. Every day. For about a month now... Anyone else have this happen?
For me , it's been the Dragonfly2. Mostly the ZDP version, but somedays the G10. The past several months, a ZDP Stretch combined with the DF2. The Stretch fits my hand very well and is big enough to tackle what the DF2 doesn't. I've avoided carrying the Delica for Years for no good reason. Thought I'd give one a try. Low and behold! I have a new mainstay. A BigLittleKnife that is more than the LittleBigKnife DF2 and just less enough to be a LittleToughHombre to the PrettyToughHombre Stretch. I think I'm covered (for now).

Really dig this quote.
Great use of Kaizen, or improvement! :D
Kinoubi is another word I have been heavily relating to Spyderco outlook and products, and I hope you would agree, Sal. :)
The Delica is undoubtedly the epitome of both of these. And at an incredible value.

It's often a sleeper, though. Many will shallowly overlook it, but it will draw you back again and again once it's put to use. Threads like this time and again prove this. :thumbup:

I often carry two knives, telling myself it's for utility and variety purposes... then on days where all I grab, or all I pull out for use, is a Delica, I often question myself why I am carrying more than one knife. Then I just come back to the reasoning that is simply fun, not necessary, to justify my madness of owning and carrying multiple knives when one Delica would get most jobs done.

My Endura allows me to carry whatever other knife I want, even if I end up using the Endura for everything.

It's a pretty common thing I think, but I wouldn't give up the spare Dragonfly or Native or Manix or Mini Onslaught for anything.

That's what happens when you find a cool way to carry a bonus knife.

I have opened this delica over 300 times and I swear it's just as stiff as I got it. I'm confused. Will it ever be close to as easy as, say, a manix?

Mine.
[video=youtube;WXucU8QUurM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXucU8QUurM&feature=em-upload_owner&ab_channel=vanslem6[/video]

I can manipulate this knife better than any other knife I have. Easier to close than my PM2 (hand is already in position to hit the lock), faster opening than my Benchmades (no studs to miss/botch). When it's been in my pocket all day, it becomes even smoother. It will not ever have that 'free-fall' feeling that knives like the PM2 and Axis knives have, but it also doesn't share the slight amount of play that my PM2 and Axis knives have.

Last edited:
That's what I'm talking about. I want mine to be like that, but it's the hardest knife I have to open, and I have some pretty crappy knives. Like I said, been through over a hundred cycles with no change. Also, the blade was centered when I got it, but after all those cycles, it has become really far away from the clip side.

Last edited:
That's what I'm talking about. I want mine to be like that, but it's the hardest knife I have to open, and I have some pretty crappy knives. Like I said, been through over a hundred cycles with no change. Also, the blade was centered when I got it, but after all those cycles, it has become really far away from the clip side.

Did you try adjusting the pivot? If the pivot isn't dragging then back out the lock bar pivot screw a tiny bit. Normally this will do the trick.

I have never adjusted anything on mine, nor have I ever opened it up. It's probably broken down 10k boxes, however. :) I remember going through the same thing, actually. My thumb would get sore trying to snap it open when it was new…..and I just couldn't do it. For a long time I couldn't even flick it open w/ my middle finger. I've had that knife about 1.5 years now. My Endura on the other hand….is not that easy to close, lol. I'm hoping it'll get there too, because I really dig that knife too.

You don't need to open it up or disassemble, that voids warranty, but adjusting pivot tension do work on most.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can manipulate this knife better than any other knife I have. Easier to close than my PM2 (hand is already in position to hit the lock), faster opening than my Benchmades (no studs to miss/botch). When it's been in my pocket all day, it becomes even smoother. It will not ever have that 'free-fall' feeling that knives like the PM2 and Axis knives have, but it also doesn't share the slight amount of play that my PM2 and Axis knives have.

My saber ground Delica free-falls better/faster/smoother than any other knife I own. It's scary when I unlock it :p

I just ordered another Delica to go with the three that I already own , and while I was feeling frisky I just ordered some Custom scales as well . :)
Over the last few weeks I've been doing some real soul searching as to my knife requirements and it soon became apparent that my Delica's are my most carried , used and appreciated Spyderco's that I own .
I've decided to exclusively carry Delica's from now on and when my desire for a change rears its ugly head , a different colour , blade steel , handle scale material will satisfy that urge , but the base knife will remain the Delica so that the great ergonomics and familiarity will remain the same .

Ken

The Delica is somewhat a demonstration of CQI or Kaizen. Continual improvement based on customer response. Those little tweaks that occur as a result of interaction with the customer's thoughts.

sal

Maybe the next little tweak could be a better , longer lasting finish on the pocket clip :)
Mr Glesser if your reading this please dont think I'm having a go at you , but from my experience of carrying a Delica through some harsh environmental tests here in outback Australia the only thing left that needs attention is the clip that starts losing its paint the second it comes into contact with another surface .
I will continue to buy , use and love Delica's , but if your looking for an area that needs improvement , look no further than the clips painted finish .

Ken

Maybe the next little tweak could be a better , longer lasting finish on the pocket clip :)
I will continue to buy , use and love Delica's , but if your looking for an area that needs improvement , look no further than the clips painted finish .

Ken

Sal, I tend to agree with Ken(and quite a few others). I'm not one to look to as far as suggesting what finish to switch to. My coated clips on knives to be carried, get switched for titanium deep carry.(the deep carry is my choice - the standard version in titanium would work for nearly everyone) Even without color anodizing the titanium seems to stay a nice subdued gray. If polished it stays shiny. Titanium may be an answer. I do recall reading somewhere that Spyderco considered this material in the past and decided it was a no-go. So maybe it is Not the correct answer, but maybe a standard Titanium clip could be reconsidered on the next tweak?
...but yeah my brown D4 is getting Lots of pocket time. It's making me dream what can make it Any better.

I guess I'm in the minority in that I like when there is some wear on the clip. Shows that it's a user and gives the knife some character. I think the salt knives have titanium clips but with my experience the coating wears faster with them than the coated steel clips.

Now I wouldn't mind seeing some deeper carry clips, especially on the smaller models.

I agree, I like the wear marks on the clip. I also find that the coating on the Ti clips comes off even faster - but I don't particularly like the 'stiffness' of the Ti clip. I would maybe like to see a choil, but aside from that I've got no complaints.

On another site someone suggested polishing the original clip , to eliminate the scuffed look , thought I'd give it a try on my most tatty looking clip and here is the result .
I'm very happy with the outcome .
Also its interesting to see the latest Delica the HAP40 has a stainless clip and not the painted one , maybe Spyderco realizes that the painted ones look very secondhand quickly and detract from an otherwise brilliant product .

Ken

I think they change it up based on handle color and hardware color. Although I'm all for staying low key, I like the polished look on the HAP40's. I didn't like the polished look on my S110V PM2 so I took someone's idea from here and heat colored it. IMO, the DLC blades should definitely come with the black clip.

Back