The Domino

I blindly pulled the trigger on one of these. I'm glad to see all the positive comments about it.
Can't wait till it gets here :D

I've read many great reviews... But I have a tough time paying that kind of $$ for Taiwan made knives. Same goes for the Tuff, Southard, etc...

You pay your Dollars not for made in Taiwan, you pay for quality and design ... just my 0,02 €-cent.

I'm just saying for the amount if $$ the Taiwan knives cost, I'd rather buy Golden, Colorado or Seki City, Japan models.

I don't have any issues whatsoever with design/quality of any spydercos, regardless of their country of origin.

I've read many great reviews... But I have a tough time paying that kind of $$ for Taiwan made knives. Same goes for the Tuff, Southard, etc...

I agree I would buy a Sage, Domino, and a GB in a second if they said Golden on them. I am not one to tell others what to buy but for me the Native and the PM2 are the Spydercos I am looking forward to owning the most.

I would pay 100 dollars more on all three of the models listed if they came out of Golden. I know Spydercos Taiwan plant makes knives with great f&f I just like to spend my money on 100% American made products.

I'm just saying for the amount if $$ the Taiwan knives cost, I'd rather buy Golden, Colorado or Seki City, Japan models.

May I ask as to why you feel that way?

I understand the patriotic notion of only wanting American made products/knives, but if you are fine with Japan made, why not Taiwan?

It's not so much of the notion of only buying American, but I guess there is a stigma with Taiwan made knives. If it were a $60-$80 knife I would probably buy one. I just think that for $329.00 (spyderco website) they could be made here. As for Japanese made knives, Japan produces some of the most quality knives period.

It's not so much of the notion of only buying American, but I guess there is a stigma with Taiwan made knives. If it were a $60-$80 knife I would probably buy one. I just think that for $329.00 (spyderco website) they could be made here. As for Japanese made knives, Japan produces some of the most quality knives period.

I feel pretty confident in saying this simply from handling the knives. I believe the knives produced in Taiwan are a step above all other Sypdercos in fit and finish. Sal really choose a heck of a plant to produce the Taiwan made models they do an amazing job.

Sorry about getting off the op subject but I agree that USA makes a difference. I realize it is subliminal.
My favorite knife is my Sage 1, but I'm not "proud" of it. If that makes any sense.
I love to carry it but I don't like to show it off.

Every Taiwan made spyderco I have owned have been nothing but the best of quality. The Taichung plant kicks out the best as far as I am concerned. At one point or another I have had a Tuff, 2 southards, 2 technos (one of which still occupies my pocket), and soon I will have the domino. Fit and finish have been perfect on all examples. I will never have a problem spending this kind of cash on a Taiwan spyderco. Just my .02 cents.

Taiwan is not China... Taiwan is an independent and democratic society (despite China's claims on it). Thus there should be no stigma. Sal chose a small and very well respected (family run from what I understand) company to build the Taiwanese made Spydies. They are top notch!!! Whatever stigma you have associated with them I suggest you drop as it is ill-founded. If you don't like to buy non-American, I can appreciate that... but since that's not the case... in this case your stigma is just incorrectly applied. Taichung Spydercos are amazingly well made. And honestly, they are at least equal in quality of build to the Golden knives and superior to the Seki City.

The example I will use is this: about a month ago I bought a Tuff from exchange to see what the hype was about. After buying it I was reading about the Tuff on some review sites. It was then that I discovered the Tuff was made in Taiwan. I never even opened the flat rate box when it arrived at my house. I bought, recieved, sold and shipped it in three days. As for fit and finish I can't speak to it. I've never handled a Taiwan produced spyderco. I just have a hard time paying that much $$ for a foreign made production knife. For the $329.00 retail price of the domino, I could buy a very nice custom slip joint or a variety of Emerson knives.

I guess I'm just saying why does Sal even have them made anywhere but USA? Again I understand the Taiwan/Japanese production if you are selling at a much lower price point, but can't we (USA) produce the same quality as Taiwan?

I guess I'm just saying why does Sal even have them made anywhere but USA? Again I understand the Taiwan/Japanese production if you are selling at a much lower price point, but can't we (USA) produce the same quality as Taiwan?

Based on my experiences, the short answer is "apparently not"--my Taichung spydies are all better made than my Golden spydies . . .

I don't care where a knife comes from, as long as F&F is superb. The likes of Spyderco and even Cold Steel have proven time and time again that these Taiwanese manufacturers can build incredibly well. I've had knives from the USA, Japan, Taiwan, and China that have come to me both perfect and imperfect. To me, it doesn't matter where it comes from, as long as they can get it right.

It seems as though I'm almost alone on this one... If there is that much difference in quality, maybe I'll have to trade for something Taiwan made. Hard to believe, but I'm willing to give it a try.

It seems as though I'm almost alone on this one... If there is that much difference in quality, maybe I'll have to trade for something Taiwan made. Hard to believe, but I'm willing to give it a try.

The Taichung models have better fit and finish. They are using American made materials too.

If you are willing to buy non American (said you own Japan made Spydercos) then you owe it to yourself to some of the Taiwan made models. You will be impressed of that I am certain.

The Taichung made knives are better than the ones made in Golden. Get over your misconceptions. If the knives were produced at the same quality in the US as they are in Taiwan, you'd be looking at a huge price increase. For a Southard that normally costs $250-300, you'd probably be looking at over $400.

Back