The Domino

Most places with 3" blade length limit have the officers check it in the field using the width of their palm which on average is about 3.3 inches for men and 2.9 inches for women. Something like a Domino will "pass" but a PM2 or Southard will not. This is not legal advise but general observation.

Most places with 3" blade length limit have the officers check it in the field using the width of their palm which on average is about 3.3 inches for men and 2.9 inches for women. Something like a Domino will "pass" but a PM2 or Southard will not. This is not legal advise but general observation.

We are in the same neck of the woods, RamZar. There was a member of this forum (Morimotom) who was Alhambra PD (based on his signature anyways and if accurate, passed away in the line of duty) who frequently posted about the penal codes and thought the whole width of the palm recommendation was a dangerous one to follow. I have asked about 10 or so officers / retired officers / training officers in LAPD, LA County Sheriff (including a Lt.) and none gave me a clear answer but some did mention the width of palm as a guide which I found scary to follow.

Back on topic - My Domino now sits in the middle of my Southard and Techno in regards to size. All remarkable workmanship as to fit and finish. I do not have any customs but I cannot imagine how it can be any smoother or fit any better. I like to fondle all three at the same time and sometimes I am at a loss as to which to take with me for the day.

We are in the same neck of the woods, RamZar. There was a member of this forum (Morimotom) who was Alhambra PD (based on his signature anyways and if accurate, passed away in the line of duty) who frequently posted about the penal codes and thought the whole width of the palm recommendation was a dangerous one to follow. I have asked about 10 or so officers / retired officers / training officers in LAPD, LA County Sheriff (including a Lt.) and none gave me a clear answer but some did mention the width of palm as a guide which I found scary to follow.

Back on topic - My Domino now sits in the middle of my Southard and Techno in regards to size. All remarkable workmanship as to fit and finish. I do not have any customs but I cannot imagine how it can be any smoother or fit any better. I like to fondle all three at the same time and sometimes I am at a loss as to which to take with me for the day.

The Caly3, Sage 1 and Sage 2 are my most comfortable Spyderco EDC folders since they're exactly 3 inches in blade length. More Caly3 due to narrower profile.

A 3" blade Spyderco flipper with the narrow profile of the Southard would be wonderful!

The limit for NY state is under 4" IIRC. I now mostly rotate between a Techno and CF Chaparral for EDC, but the Domino has me hyped. I haven't looked forward to folder since the PM2 sprints came out.

I am going to get one. Been thinking about it since the release. I like flippers.

I was all up for buying my first spyderco knife. Then I watched a review that pointed out that the domino is not all that great. The terrible scale design, pocket clip that makes it stick out of your pocket, and the spyder hole in the wrong spot on the blade.

I was all up for buying my first spyderco knife. Then I watched a review that pointed out that the domino is not all that great. The terrible scale design, pocket clip that makes it stick out of your pocket, and the spyder hole in the wrong spot on the blade.

I don't even really like my Domino, but I disagree with most of this. The Spyderhole is completely functional and the scale is IMO the knife's best feature. I'll admit the clip does make the knife ride high, and the overly bulky shape of it isn't to my liking, but I'm not sure you're getting good info from whatever review you watched.

I initially thought that the scale would look cheap and crappy; but once in hand I was instantly converted. Really takes on a gentleman's folder type of quality and it is unique to all other CF designs that I have seen. The Spyderhole is indeed in a weird spot since it doesn't line up with the cutout, but it's completely functional and works with the thumb opening and the spydie-flick. As for the pocket clip, that can really go both ways. You have one camp that says, "Low ride clips for discretion and better pocket retention." While the other camp says, "Everyone can see the clip, you're not discreet and low ride clips make it difficult to extract the knife."

Neither is right nor wrong, just depends on personal preference. While there may be one negative review, I would bet that there are at least 4x that many positive reviews of the knife on YouTube. Also, why would you base your judgement on one review, when we are close to 70 posts in this one Domino thread where hardcore knife junkies gloat and rave about it?

In the end it's just one knife from Spyderco, even if it is awesome and cures cancer...

The Domino is a GREAT flipper! :thumbup:

The CF laminate scale is very pleasing to the eye and assures a good grip.

The "issue" with the pocket clip is all subjective. Yes it does stick out some as is and some also complain that due to the clip being at an angle it doesn't carry well. They said the same thing about the Southard. These are issues that need to be dealt with on a personal basis.

The issue with the Spydie hole not completely exposed when closed and off center is not really a functional issue. Even on the Southard with even less exposed area you can deploy manually with no problems.

The issue with lack of jimping on the flipper is also a non-issue for me although jimping gives you a higher level of confidence.

My only personal issue with the Domino is that the blade is too wide and thus it takes up too much pocket space for me.

Heres my Domino... working on a photo shoot of it... some teasers/test shots... Just need some clear days so I can get some sunlight into them!

imvAH9C.jpg

WQF44DB.jpg

FJ7DYEb.jpg

I don't even really like my Domino, but I disagree with most of this. The Spyderhole is completely functional and the scale is IMO the knife's best feature. I'll admit the clip does make the knife ride high, and the overly bulky shape of it isn't to my liking, but I'm not sure you're getting good info from whatever review you watched.

Yep, just to add: The Spydehole is totally functional, I can even middle finger flick it with ease...I can slow open, Spyderdrop..All that. Cosmetically, it isn't lined up like the Manix or Tenacious but hey, they aren't flippers.

Like you, I like the scale. It's a matter of taste I suppose.

As for the clip, Im totally fine with it stock unlike the Southards' which I despise (Love the Southard though). It is sort lacquered like the GB and not just painted on. When I got into knives, I was all into low riding clips and realize FOR WHAT? To hide the knife? FROM WHO? Who cares if people know I have a knife. Actually, GOOD look at my knife! Not to mention that it is easier to take out a knife riding higher in the pocket. Be proud, man up. It's a knife, it's a tool... Maybe it's a weapon who cares.

Only things I feel that could have been improved is the blade to handle ratio. I know this is a Spyderco thing and I'm fine with it, but the blade could have been a little longer. Also, the blade could have been narrower to my liking.

Lastly if I believed every youtube video and didn't make decisions for myself...Well, I wouldn't be ME anymore.

The spydehole is a tad off, but actually alot of Spydercos are like that. Most do not have the hole radially centered with in the main choil. Look at the Sage 3, Para 3, and Native 5. Nobody ever complains about those. And since its.. well... uh... a FLIPPER... yeah I don't really see the issue. It's as functional as any other spyderco, in fact I never even noticed it was off until I read about it here. So really it should be no more than a aesthetical qualm to most users.

As for the knife being too wide? It's just a tad wider than the Delica. If you don't count the flipper, it's as wide or less so than the Sage 2, Native, Para 2, and Caly 3.5. So I really don't see where that is coming from either. Measure for yourself.

The cutting edge to handle ratio is 68%, the Delica comes in at 67%, the Para II... 65%. Again measure if you don't believe me.

Just saying...

As for the knife being too wide? It's just a tad wider than the Delica. If you don't count the flipper, it's as wide or less so than the Sage 2, Native, Para 2, and Caly 3.5. So I really don't see where that is coming from either. Measure for yourself.

I just took measurements of the width of the blade of the following and clearly the Domino is the widest of the bunch.

Domino: 1.35"
Sage 1: 1.17"
Native 5: 1.12"
Caly 3: 1.07"
Caly 3.5: 1.07"
Southard: 0.98"

In my opinion and personally, part of the reason for the popularity of Caly 3 & 3.5 are their narrow and thin profiles.

I'm talking about closed width. You said it takes up too much pocket space.
When open, yeah it does have a wide blade.

There was a member of this forum (Morimotom) who was Alhambra PD (based on his signature anyways and if accurate, passed away in the line of duty)

OT, but AFAIK, Morimotom is not deceased.
He may have previously had a memorial to another fallen officer in his sig line (but I can't exactly recall).

Maximum width closed (flipper included):

Domino: 1.80"
Sage 1: 1.56"
Native 5: 1.45"
Caly 3: 1.45"
Caly 3.5: 1.49"
Southard: 1.32"

Where is this width issue coming from? Comparing the closed width of the Domino to the closed width of a: Delica, Para2, Military, Manix 2 and a Calypso, all those knives are wider at their widest points than the Domino at its widest point. I was surprised the Delica was wider but it is just a little bit. The Delica and Calypso are the closest in width.

This is not including the flipper.

Back