The Domino

I was watching some videos of the Domino last night and I was very tempted to just order one. The thing that holds me back is that I already have the Southard, which is pretty much the same when it comes to components, besides the lock bar insert and the overall shape of the knife. And I think my para 2 is pretty similar size- and blade-wise. If I weren't happy with the Southard, I might have bought the Domino. It's the same reason why I never bought a Chaparral: because I already have the Caly 3. It doesn't feel like a significant upgrade or different enough.

The blade steel is also different. It has Carbon fiber instead of G10, full flat grind instead of a hollow grind. They're both flippers with bearings but I'd say they're actually pretty different knives. I mean realistically all knives are similar, but it's the subtle differences that can really add up. If you like your Southard then you'll love the Domino. So I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Got both, love the Southard and in time I may love the Domino as well. I just had it a couple of days. Really like it so far. Theyre both flippers with Ti but are actually very different. Ok, both framlocks uhhh very different after that.

As for the knife being too wide? It's just a tad wider than the Delica. If you don't count the flipper, it's as wide or less so than the Sage 2, Native, Para 2, and Caly 3.5. So I really don't see where that is coming from either. Measure for yourself.

Where is this width issue coming from? Comparing the closed width of the Domino to the closed width of a: Delica, Para2, Military, Manix 2 and a Calypso, all those knives are wider at their widest points than the Domino at its widest point. I was surprised the Delica was wider but it is just a little bit. The Delica and Calypso are the closest in width.

This is not including the flipper.

I dunno, I've always thought knives like the PM2, Sage 2, etc. were bulky in the pocket for the amount of blade they bring as well. Comparing one fat, short-bladed knife to another as a way of saying "this particular one isn't that fat" is kind of silly.

The reason that IMO the Domino feels like carrying a giant handle with a tiny blade is simple to understand when you stand it up next to a random sampling of pocket knives with similar sized cutting edges. The Domino is the best flipping knife I own, and I love the scale--it doesn't just look nice, it has a great texture--and the fit and finish on mine are just about perfection. That said, it's a fat, big-handled little-bladed chunk of knife in the pocket and the picture tells a thousand words:

S4zvgDU.jpg

It's a great knife, but let's not pretend it's dainty in the pocket. It has plenty of other great qualities going for it . . .

The blade steel is also different. It has Carbon fiber instead of G10, full flat grind instead of a hollow grind. They're both flippers with bearings but I'd say they're actually pretty different knives. I mean realistically all knives are similar, but it's the subtle differences that can really add up. If you like your Southard then you'll love the Domino. So I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Yes, just like how I'm sure I'd like the Chaparral about as much as I like the Caly 3. It would just feel redundant/too similar (going by the "selling points" and overall construction). It's not like it would be filling a void in my knife line-up. If I didn't have the Southard I would have been on the pre-order list for the Domino, no doubt.

My Domino has been in almost all pairs of jeans and shorts I own. It has never once gotten in the way when I needed to reach my had down in my pocket and retrieve something. As long as I can do that, and I am not reminded constantly that I have it clipped to my pocket (which I don't) it is good to go in the "in the pocket department" What is actually more important to me is how comfortable it is to use. Sure that little knife has a similar cutting edge, but I would never use it because its handle is too small. I can clip small knives in my pocket all day, but if the handle is too small to make it functional or comfortable to use what is the point? If you (not anyone directly, but in general) are content with a 3" blade being long enough, then great let's have a handle that is comfortable as well. I would say that the Domino is suffering from being picked to death, and really is a grand EDC knife. Seems when a company comes out with a knife looking bound to be a home-run, it also gets a lot of criticism. Maybe because it is new, but I feel it is suffering from success in that some people love to hate it. Check out these nice pictures near the bottom of page 3 esp. the Manix comparison ones, http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?60862-Project-Ultimate-EDC-Rotation/page3. I never hear anything about the Manix and its width and being not pocket friendly, and blade to handle ratio and so on. The Domino imo strikes a near perfect balance, and I am finding it hard to leave out of my pocket. Not trying to ruffle feathers, but hoping to give anyone on the fence with some fears they hear that extra nudge to go ahead and grab one. It imo has set the bar in its genre.

A comfortable grip is absolutely necessary and it looks as though the Domino would melt in the hand.
Comparing blade length to handle ratio is irrelevant to most knife users and it obviously hasn't hurt Spyderco sales.
Any new homerun knife will have people trying to bring it down, but the Domino is definitely on my list.

The handle reminds me of a GB. Similar contour and size but for my hand (size 7.5) even better fitting. Also feels more secure and safe with flipper acting as a guard and with presence of a choil.

As for the width of the blade, I think it compliments the bigger handle nicely. A thinner blade would seem to make it even more "handle dominant."

Seems when a company comes out with a knife looking bound to be a home-run, it also gets a lot of criticism. Maybe because it is new, but I feel it is suffering from success in that some people love to hate it.

Any new homerun knife will have people trying to bring it down, but the Domino is definitely on my list.

Lol, is this directed at me? How does giving my opinion make me being a hater? I bought a Domino (it's sitting right here on my desk) and like some things but dislike others about it. I have a bunch of other Spyderco knives. You love the Domino, I don't, what's the big deal?

I carry a Southard most days, I think the Domino is a great knife, albeit not one that does it for me, and I think Spyderco is a great company. How do my personal preferences, which admittedly may be different from yours, make me a hater?

Last edited:
It seems as though I'm almost alone on this one... If there is that much difference in quality, maybe I'll have to trade for something Taiwan made. Hard to believe, but I'm willing to give it a try.

I won't say that there is a Large difference in quality, but I love the Spydies that I've had from Taichung.
The TUFF, the Gayle Bradley, the TECHNO, all wonderful folders, all from Taiwan. I've owned only one TUFF (how many do you need?), probably seven or more GB's and about the same number of TECHNO's. I love 'em all, but they are normally pass-through folders and I don't keep or carry them. I'm a Sebbie or Zaan guy for the most part, but have owned MANY MORE Spydercos than any other brand. Had at least 20 PM2's at one point; now...one.
I've been happy with Taiwan, Seki City and Golden and I guess that Sal et al is hard to beat anywhere.
I finally sold my Tuff last week; had it about a year NIB. Figured out the Zombies weren't here yet...but my c-c bill was.
Sonnydaze

Lol, is this directed at me? How does giving my opinion make me being a hater? I bought a Domino (it's sitting right here on my desk) and like some things but dislike others about it. I have a bunch of other Spyderco knives. You love the Domino, I don't, what's the big deal?

I carry a Southard most days, I think the Domino is a great knife, albeit not one that does it for me, and I think Spyderco is a great company. How do my personal preferences, which admittedly may be different from yours, make me a hater?

I have and love my Southard but if I had one that looks like your Avatar, oh baby!

:thumbup: While i own many spydercos and love them, i picked one up and just wasn't "feeling" it so i sold it... just couldn't get past the chunkiness of the blade for the length of the blade.

Maybe something a little longer and narrower, then i'd be all over it.

I'm just talking in general.
It reminds me of all the negative comments toward the southard, 560, para 2, etc. when they came out.
There will always be detractors from new release hits.
I was the same way about the southard.

I'm just talking in general.
It reminds me of all the negative comments toward the southard, 560, para 2, etc. when they came out.
There will always be detractors from new release hits.
I was the same way about the southard.

I hated the way the Southard looked too much to even try it. Brown scales and an unnecessary (on a flipper) hole in the blade? Funny blade shape and droopy handle? Hell no, I would never buy one of those.

Then my wife bought me one. Doh! How wrong could I be? All those years ago, Dr. Seuss laid it out right there in Green Eggs and Ham for me, but I guess I didn't listen ;)

Admittedly, I do still dislike the original scratchy brown scale (great grip, but fugly and rough on pants), but my feeling about the Southard can now be summed up by this picture:

GAr7R2O.jpg

. . . it's the knife that rises above the rest for me. I used to carry small knives when I had office days, and bigger knives the rest of the time. I thought the Southard would be too big and heavy to go where my dainty little 707 went, and at the same time not butch enough to make me forget my beloved 710 for working outside or days I'm in jeans, but the reality turned out quite different. After being slimmed down and prettied up, the damn thing seems to be just right. Flips like a champ, check. Small enough to not be obnoxious in dress pants, check. Big enough and stout enough to use hard, check. It's not my best flipping flipper--the Domino or ZT 0801 would probably take that prize. It's not my slimmest or lightest knife at that size--my William Henry knives and others would take that prize. It's not the beefiest folder in that range I own, not even close. It's just sort of the all around best knife I own, for carrying everyday.

So when Spyderco put out another flipper, I bought it without hesitation. My qualms with the Domino didn't come into play until after I had it in hand, unlike the Southard. When I carried the Domino for a few days, I came away mostly just missing my Southard, and it probably suffered from that comparison a bit for me. I do love that scale though, it keeps surprising me that some folks don't like it. I think it looks good and has a very nice texture as well.

No, please read that generally. I really am not aiming at you. Some of your posting may have prompted me to post my impressions directly rebutting the width and cutting edge arguments, but not picking on you directly. I have read your criticism as constructive, no worries fellow Spydie lover:D

Back on topic here...

Just received a wood scale for the Domino today and it looks beautiful.
Don't really know why but the blade just seems smoother now with the new scale. Maybe due to the disassembly and reassembly or maybe the knife just likes its new cover. :D

hoyg.jpg

dgvs.jpg

Wow, that's pretty--what kind of wood is it?

The funny thing is, I like to get custom scales for knives I use a lot, but I'd have a hard time doing it with the Domino. I may be in the minority, because I've seen a bunch of folks call it ugly, but I love the stock Domino scale . . .

Back