The Domino

I hated the way the Southard looked too much to even try it. Brown scales and an unnecessary (on a flipper) hole in the blade? Funny blade shape and droopy handle? Hell no, I would never buy one of those.

Then my wife bought me one. Doh! How wrong could I be? All those years ago, Dr. Seuss laid it out right there in Green Eggs and Ham for me, but I guess I didn't listen ;)

Admittedly, I do still dislike the original scratchy brown scale (great grip, but fugly and rough on pants), but my feeling about the Southard can now be summed up by this picture:

GAr7R2O.jpg

. . . it's the knife that rises above the rest for me. I used to carry small knives when I had office days, and bigger knives the rest of the time. I thought the Southard would be too big and heavy to go where my dainty little 707 went, and at the same time not butch enough to make me forget my beloved 710 for working outside or days I'm in jeans, but the reality turned out quite different. After being slimmed down and prettied up, the damn thing seems to be just right. Flips like a champ, check. Small enough to not be obnoxious in dress pants, check. Big enough and stout enough to use hard, check. It's not my best flipping flipper--the Domino or ZT 0801 would probably take that prize. It's not my slimmest or lightest knife at that size--my William Henry knives and others would take that prize. It's not the beefiest folder in that range I own, not even close. It's just sort of the all around best knife I own, for carrying everyday.

So when Spyderco put out another flipper, I bought it without hesitation. My qualms with the Domino didn't come into play until after I had it in hand, unlike the Southard. When I carried the Domino for a few days, I came away mostly just missing my Southard, and it probably suffered from that comparison a bit for me. I do love that scale though, it keeps surprising me that some folks don't like it. I think it looks good and has a very nice texture as well.

Nice scales -- what are they and where'd you get 'em?

Wow, that's pretty--what kind of wood is it?

The funny thing is, I like to get custom scales for knives I use a lot, but I'd have a hard time doing it with the Domino. I may be in the minority, because I've seen a bunch of folks call it ugly, but I love the stock Domino scale . . .

It's stabilized black palm. Really happy with it and thinking I'll do the same with the Southard next.
I like the stock Domino scale as well but this wood has a great feel.

I just got my Domino today and I already love this thing (and my girlfriend keeps taking it from me because she likes it too, apparently).

Positives:
The ergonomics seem really good and I think the blade is actually really well matched size-wise.
Handles are really well done, counter-sunk screws and I like the look of the back Ti.
It flips amazingly well - can be flipped by pushing in or pulling down without breaking in (though some may need a bit of break-in, which is normal for a flipper)
The carbon fiber IMHO brings a little class to it and gives some grip. I've seen worse and better CF designs, this is subjective.
Blade is extremely sharp out of the box.
The flipper is really small but still incredibly useful.
The clip doesn't get in the way and while it's black over the grey Ti from the handles, it doesn't look out of place. I may take mine off though.

Negatives: These are nitpicking. For this price and this level of quality, you have to be fair.

The hole is not at all difficult to deploy from, but it is not ideal. The issue is that the hole is already at the thinnest part of the handle. If you make the blade wider, you'd have customers complain that it's too wide (which some believe it already is). If you moved the hole up a bit, it's a bit more awkward to do because you'd basically be tracing your thumb around the pivot. It works where it is, it's just a TINY bit awkward because you can't get much of your thumb in the hole.

The pocket clip being black is not out of place, but I do believe the best solution would have been a titanium clip matching the color of the lock-side. That obviously adds to the cost, I would pay it, though a lot more customers would be put off spending extra when it's already seen as a bit pricey. The silver clip on the Para 2 would look more out of place on the Domino than the stock black clip. My experience with Spyderco's black clip has not been good as it scratched off and looked terrible on my Delica. It's a beater knife so I don't care, though.

One other change I would like to see incorporated is for the back of the blades to be rounded. I think it would make for better 'feel' and also would look better.

Ultimately, I feel like the best version of this blade would do without the hole, would be a slimmer blade, and would have the titanium pocket clip. To do so would make the knife feel very un-Spyderco-esque. I don't think it needs extra jimping on the flipper as some said they'd prefer. As it is, I love it and am considering buying more in case they somehow disappear. CTS-XHP steel is good stuff though of course I'd kill for one in S90V, S110V, M390, or something of that level.

I would also love a full Ti version of this knife. The added weight might actually improve the design. I'm excited to see what other flippers they can do.

Last edited:
Just pulled my new Domino out of it's little Spyderco box. Pretty impressive display. Tight lockup, no play. Perfect blade centering. Razor sharp. Beautiful. Not much to complain about on this one... I suppose if I wanted to get picky I'd like to see it a little lighter, but I knew that going in. The thickness is just a bit more than the Endura, both overall and blade. Overall length closer to the Delica, though. I think the clip is fine, despite many saying it looks out of place. The Domino should see some nice pocket time.

The pocket clip being black is not out of place, but I do believe the best solution would have been a titanium clip matching the color of the lock-side. That obviously adds to the cost, I would pay it, though a lot more customers would be put off spending extra when it's already seen as a bit pricey. The silver clip on the Para 2 would look more out of place on the Domino than the stock black clip. My experience with Spyderco's black clip has not been good as it scratched off and looked terrible on my Delica. It's a beater knife so I don't care, though.

Spyderco has two different black clips. You should find this one to be much better than Delica/Endura.

I dunno, I've always thought knives like the PM2, Sage 2, etc. were bulky in the pocket for the amount of blade they bring as well. Comparing one fat, short-bladed knife to another as a way of saying "this particular one isn't that fat" is kind of silly.

The reason that IMO the Domino feels like carrying a giant handle with a tiny blade is simple to understand when you stand it up next to a random sampling of pocket knives with similar sized cutting edges. The Domino is the best flipping knife I own, and I love the scale--it doesn't just look nice, it has a great texture--and the fit and finish on mine are just about perfection. That said, it's a fat, big-handled little-bladed chunk of knife in the pocket and the picture tells a thousand words:

S4zvgDU.jpg

It's a great knife, but let's not pretend it's dainty in the pocket. It has plenty of other great qualities going for it . . .

When I compare my Domino with similar knives I don't see a lot of difference. Certainly not a "giant handle with a tiny blade" as you say. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't see it. My Domino carries just as easy as my Blur or my Buck.

When I compare my Domino with similar knives I don't see a lot of difference. Certainly not a "giant handle with a tiny blade" as you say. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't see it. My Domino carries just as easy as my Blur or my Buck.

How about we agree to disagree? Some of the knives in this picture have even longer edges than the Domino, yet the Domino obviously has the bulkiest handle (if you see them all closed, the bulk difference is even larger, due to the fat leaf blade adding to the width):

ZZE1nLs.jpg

Last edited:
Spydercos Taiwan shop is making some of the best production knives, quality, fit, finish etc. in the world. IMHO they're as good if not better than the ones made in golden. This still doesn't change the fact that they're not US made for those who find this an issue. When I bought my southard I thought the same thing so started researching the Taiwan factory and nothing but praise as to the work they are doing there. I even read that on of spydercos owners lives there like half the year? Just heard this maybe someone could expand. Thx.

Nice scales -- what are they and where'd you get 'em?

+1. How much did that cost?

The scale (and matching overtravel stop thingamabob on the lock side) are in thinned down LSCF, leaving it almost symmetrical and reducing the weight a bit. Forum member Barry H. did them, and while his work was on the pricey side, he did it quickly and I loved the finished product. The other change is a replacement clip from STR, with a dark brown/grey sort of color to match.

I need to buy myself another one at some point, I wonder when the next production run will hit stores?

How about we agree to disagree? Some of the knives in this picture have even longer edges than the Domino, yet the Domino obviously has the bulkiest handle (if you see them all closed, the bulk difference is even larger, due to the fat leaf blade adding to the width):

ZZE1nLs.jpg

Well if you ever get tired of yours give me a shout.

How about we agree to disagree? Some of the knives in this picture have even longer edges than the Domino, yet the Domino obviously has the bulkiest handle (if you see them all closed, the bulk difference is even larger, due to the fat leaf blade.

So basically all I'm reading is that you flat out dont like leaf shaped blades. Thats fine, but many of us, including myself love them for the fact that they make for an incredibly thin knife behind the edge.

Last edited:
Well if you ever get tired of yours give me a shout.

I don't like it enough to carry it, but I also don't dislike it enough to get rid of it either. It's a conundrum, but every time I think about selling it I find myself thinking "but it's a Taichung spydie that flips great and has this gorgeous scale . . ." I have some kind of weird compulsion to believe it will grow on me. Maybe if I ditch the clip . . . I have to admit I'm not super fond of the way it rides clipped, maybe moving to an aftermarket clip that puts it actually down in the pocket a bit more will help. In any case, I find it pretty to look at if nothing else.

Do basically all I'm reading is that you flat out dont like leaf shaped blades. Thats fine, but many of us, including myself love them for the fact that they make for an incredibly thin knife behind the edge.

Different strokes for different folks. I have a growing pile of Spyderco knives and there are many non-leaf bladed, or skinny leaf bladed, options to choose from. That's one of the great things about Spyderco--they give us plenty of options, right?

On the topic of actually cutting things, I've used the Domino less than the other knives pictured but I can safely say that the best slicing blade in that particular photo is easily the E10. That thing is very thin behind the edge and cuts like a laser if it's anything approaching sharp. Yes, I do like thin edges, and the FFG leaf has the second bonus of a thicker tip as well--but that shape does come at the cost of pocket space, of course.

I don't like it enough to carry it, but I also don't dislike it enough to get rid of it either. It's a conundrum, but every time I think about selling it I find myself thinking "but it's a Taichung spydie that flips great and has this gorgeous scale . . ." I have some kind of weird compulsion to believe it will grow on me. Maybe if I ditch the clip . . . I have to admit I'm not super fond of the way it rides clipped, maybe moving to an aftermarket clip that puts it actually down in the pocket a bit more will help. In any case, I find it pretty to look at if nothing else.

Different strokes for different folks. I have a growing pile of Spyderco knives and there are many non-leaf bladed, or skinny leaf bladed, options to choose from. That's one of the great things about Spyderco--they give us plenty of options, right?

On the topic of actually cutting things, I've used the Domino less than the other knives pictured but I can safely say that the best slicing blade in that particular photo is easily the E10. That thing is very thin behind the edge and cuts like a laser if it's anything approaching sharp. Yes, I do like thin edges, and the FFG leaf has the second bonus of a thicker tip as well--but that shape does come at the cost of pocket space, of course.

True story. I guess im more concerned with in hand ergos and cutting performance than I am pocket space amd blade to handle ratio, and in those areas, the domino is among the best in class.

....many people have asked Apple why the iPhone is not manufactured domestically....

Anyone in the U.S.A. want to work 16 hour/day for $1.78/hour? Most of the Apple products manufactured at Foxcon use unskilled labor requiring 2 days of 'training'. One of the 'skills' is hand filing the Apple logo on top of each laptop. The highend manufacturing is done my American-made robots controlled by American programs and American-trained engineers. The U.S.A. is still is the pre-eminent manufacturing nation in the world (aircraft, advanced weapon systems, etc.). Otherwise most Chinese manufactured goods are cheap or low tech consumer goods.

Sorry for being off-topic; didn't mean to offend anyone.

Last edited:
Back