The fall of Emerson Knives

Status
Not open for further replies.
I buy Emerson knives precisely because of what they are. I own 22 Emersons and have never had an issue with any of them. He owns a successful business that he built himself. He charges a price that people obviously pay. Value is dependant on one's perception of needs and what they are willing to pay. I own hundreds of knives from many manufacturers. Emerson, early ZTs and a few others are my preference. I don't care if they are made out of a "super" steel or have a certain locking mechanism. Everyone had their preferences. I like liner locks and titanium liners and G10. Sounds like there must be something wrong with me or I'm incredibly stupid for liking what I like and choosing to spend my money on something that some people don't like. There are plenty of brands I won't purchase. I never felt I should criticize those brands or the people that buy them. When a person uses words like "Fanboy" to describe someone, it just shows their motive to bash someone that likes something that they do not. I recently joined to this forum, thinking that it would be interesting to read and communicate with people who have some common interests. Sounds more like a bunch of snobbery is more what this forum is about. Emerson Knives is in business for one purpose and that is to make money. That's what capitalism is about. The whole point is there are a variety of choices because not everyone makes everything the same. If you think a Zero Tolerance knife is a better value, then buy a Zero Tolerance knife. I'm sure your knives are much better than mine anyway.

I recently joined to this forum, thinking that it would be interesting to read and communicate with people who have some common interests. Sounds more like a bunch of snobbery is more what this forum is about. Emerson Knives is in business for one purpose and that is to make money. That's what capitalism is about. The whole point is there are a variety of choices because not everyone makes everything the same. If you think a Zero Tolerance knife is a better value, then buy a Zero Tolerance knife. I'm sure your knives are much better than mine anyway.

Wow.

You've just judged an entire forum on a few posts in one thread that you don't like.

Okay.

I don't have many Emerson Knives and I don't have much experience with them.

I do own a CQC Mini-15 and I really like that knife. It feels good in the hand, cuts well, and its super sharp. I haven't used it hard, but just normal everyday use. It still keeps a sharp edge and I never had any problems with it so far.

I like my Emerson and would buy another to replace it if it were to break. I think of my Emerson like my Hinderer, I’m glad I own one but neither are going to be carried every day because neither cut all that well.

I buy Emerson knives precisely because of what they are. I own 22 Emersons and have never had an issue with any of them. He owns a successful business that he built himself. He charges a price that people obviously pay. Value is dependant on one's perception of needs and what they are willing to pay. I own hundreds of knives from many manufacturers. Emerson, early ZTs and a few others are my preference. I don't care if they are made out of a "super" steel or have a certain locking mechanism. Everyone had their preferences. I like liner locks and titanium liners and G10. Sounds like there must be something wrong with me or I'm incredibly stupid for liking what I like and choosing to spend my money on something that some people don't like. There are plenty of brands I won't purchase. I never felt I should criticize those brands or the people that buy them. When a person uses words like "Fanboy" to describe someone, it just shows their motive to bash someone that likes something that they do not. I recently joined to this forum, thinking that it would be interesting to read and communicate with people who have some common interests. Sounds more like a bunch of snobbery is more what this forum is about. Emerson Knives is in business for one purpose and that is to make money. That's what capitalism is about. The whole point is there are a variety of choices because not everyone makes everything the same. If you think a Zero Tolerance knife is a better value, then buy a Zero Tolerance knife. I'm sure your knives are much better than mine anyway.

Why are you being so sensitive?
This thread has been what BF is all about. A healthy discussion about a knife brand without delving into name calling (until now) and political nonsense.
Emerson is a polarizing brand. Most of the negative things people say about Ernie's knives is true.
They do get lock stick because the liner lock is titanium.
Silly tacticool advertising
The G-10 is way too grippy and destroy pockets.
The finishing could do with some improvement.
The nylon washers, blade steel, chisel grinds, and Grinds being on the wrong side, have all desperately been in need of an upgrade for at least 10 years.
And yes they are a bit overpriced compared to what other US based brands are putting out.

AND YET!!
With all that being said.
Most of the positive things said in this thread are true as well.
They are not ridiculously overpriced. People are still buying them.
Great ergos
Really nice design language
Well built (when it's done right)
One of the best pocket clips in the business.
Should last a lifetime if and beyond if cared for.

It's not snobbery to expect the same quality from Emerson that you get from Benchmade, Spyderco, ZT and others at the same price point.
And yes, even though Emerson most definitely has his share of fanboys. It's not being a fanboy because you are able to overlook those faults and enjoy the knife for what it is.

I own one Emerson. A lefty CQC-7. I like it, and plan on eventually picking up the lefty Commander as well. If he decides to make a lefty CQC-8, Horseman, or Kwaiken, I'd buy it on the day it's released.
So I am a fan of the brand, but at the same time I'd like to see him update his manufacturing processes and materials used.

I sure did

Good luck with that.

As a general rule on forums it’s good to get a lay of the land, establish some understanding on how things work, and share your experiences and thoughts on our collective hobbies.

To insult the members with a broad brush is not a good start.

Glad you like Emerson knives. A lot of people don’t for various reasons. No biggie. We all have personal preferences and a wide range of options.

It’s an awesome time to be a knife aficionado!

This thread has been what BF is all about. A healthy discussion about a knife brand without delving into name calling (until now) and political nonsense.
Emerson is a polarizing brand. Most of the negative things people say about Ernie's knives is true.
The nylon washers, blade steel, chisel grinds, and Grinds being on the wrong side, have all desperately been in need of an upgrade for at least 10 years.
And yes they are a bit overpriced compared to what other US based brands are putting out.

AND YET!!
Great ergos

It's not snobbery to expect the same quality from Emerson that you get from Benchmade, Spyderco, ZT and others at the same price point.
And yes, even though Emerson most definitely has his share of fanboys. It's not being a fanboy because you are able to overlook those faults and enjoy the knife for what it is.

I own one Emerson. A lefty CQC-7. I like it, and plan on eventually picking up the lefty Commander as well. If he decides to make a lefty CQC-8, Horseman, or Kwaiken, I'd buy it on the day it's released.
So I am a fan of the brand, but at the same time I'd like to see him update his manufacturing processes and materials used.
I'm not insulted. I didn't make the knives. Just an observation. I apologize for not jumping on the bandwagon.

I’ve had a few but wasn’t super impressed with them so sold them off and never grabbed another. I don’t really ever remember them being super hyped up or selling like hot cakes at all , and I’ve been around for 10 years.

Now, if you were talking about hinderer... that’s a brand that was HYPED and their knives were flipping for 2-3x what they cost new. Those were selling like hot cakes and the wait list was over a year from hinderer himself..... this was what, maybe 6 years ago now? That’s the only brand that I really remember people went CRAZY for... in that way and to that extend at least. (That’s they’d actually pay 2-3x retail.)

AND YET!!
Great ergos

Picked up a brand new Lefty Commander recently. Lock stick was outrageous. However, that is a big “WAS” (more on that later). Besides the lock stick the knife is in excellent condition. Perfect centering and lockup. No complaints.

I love the knife. I finally get it.

It’s like when you buy a new pair of boots. At first they are uncomfortable. After some use and break in they fit your foot perfectly! This is true of really any knife. However, the Commander is special.

After some light use and around 200 flips, the stick is gone. There is something unique about this knife that I can’t put my finger on. It’s like a well oiled machine. something about when you open it then close it, it sounds and feels mechanical. Hard to explain but I can officially say I am fan!

Lastly, mad props to any company that makes a left handed version of their models!

I’m going out on a limb here, but I recall over twenty years ago talking to a friend, a special ops guy, and asking which was his favorite knife. And he mentioned Emerson. More recently I’ve seen some Emerson knives with either a horn-like thing at the top of the blade, or a round tab on top of the blade to flip it open. I don’t like the horn at all, nor the round thing. So I’ve never owned an Emerson.

What I find strange is that there is talk here about Emerson being popular three years ago. And I first heard of Emerson as a desirable knife over twenty years ago. Maybe I’m wrong and my memory fails me. In any case, it seems as if Emerson (if there has been a Mr. Emerson) must have sold a lot of knives.

Wow, I hadn’t looked at Emerson’s for a while.
They have gone up in price, like all the other brands.
They don’t seem to have changed much though, same designs and materials. In fact the two I have are still part of the current lineup.

I really don’t like either one all that much.

Yeah, I see an Emerson in the EDC thread every day. There’s no drop off. Production went up, so the secondary market is less inundated with flippers.

It’s been my experience that the new models have fantastic fit and finish. I believe they are even polishing liners now.

Lastly, the signature models are limited in that they have Ernie’s signature.

I think OP is seeing a decline because he’s less interested in the brand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back