The Fighting Knife

Ahhh, got it now ;)

Here's a pics of an F/S I've recently acquired from a maker in the UK. I really wanted to like the F/S, but the second it hit bone, the tip rolled :mad:

My Ek blade did a much better job without any damage to the edge or tip :thumbup:

Don't worry, turkey legs were the only casualties!

Dadspics541.jpg

Last edited:
One of my main issues with looking at doing a FS is just that. it's deadly, but relatively fragile.

my inspiration for the style lies much more in the broad range of customs, mods, and victory or theatre knives of WW2- for example (not mine, not my photos)

australian%20fighting%20fake%20full.jpg

40901d1244218123t-unknown-fighting-knife-2.jpg

758f.jpg

The first is a fake "rare fighting knife" but not an uncommon historical mod. Break a longer blade, make a short blade.

Thing is, that straight spine profile is REALLY solid. and on a shorter blade with a straight handle it's a good geometry for reverse grip, and sucks not at all for a hammer grip.

The second one is just classic "engine room" glory. Sure, it looks rough, but I'll bet if you stuck it someone's torso they'd note the event.

The third one just makes me happy. It's all right.

The tip profile thing is something I had a problem with with the Guardian, as well. That's where I started doing the Zog Nit design. My views on the FS might just be the same- it's something for me to "fix" my way.

The boker version is quite nice, though.

I have not had the chance to test my Guardian, but it does have a nice feel. The Loveless handle design in my opinion was an upgrade over the handle of the MKII. I think the tip would hold up better than the F/S since it is a broader blade.

Dadspics524.jpg

That looks like the Guardian II, maybe the Guardian I. The small guardian- the 7 inch OAL one, is what I was "replying to" with the zog nit.

for my money, the Guardian II is a fine knife. Definitely fixed some of the MkII issues

Yep, you are right it's a Guardian II, sorry bout that. The little brother that's 7" OAL is the Guardian I ;)

I think the small one is the "guardian backup". Confusing, but I know there are 3 models, or have been over time.

So, I love leukus. Not generally considered a military style knife, and I make them as bushcrafters, but .... would you feel underarmed with this 6.25 inch blade?

361-pre-0002.jpeg

361-pre-0003.jpeg

361-pre-0004.jpeg

Absolutely not :eek: would definitely carry that one into harms way. I can see my bank account empty out ;)

I think the small one is the "guardian backup". Confusing, but I know there are 3 models, or have been over time.

So, I love leukus. Not generally considered a military style knife, and I make them as bushcrafters, but .... would you feel underarmed with this 6.25 inch blade?

361-pre-0004.jpeg

Ah, no...I love it!

Christof,
The irony of me finding and reading this thread today kept me smiling the last 15 minutes... :)

I have one of your Nessies and have ben playing with it lately while rethinking my normal carry knives- how they suit me individually. Which has had me looking at photos of customers Leukus.

For my mind, a "fighting" knife is designed for many different scenarios. The FS style knives have always been for stealth- get close and quickly close and seal the deal. For street assasinations, they are OK but still need to be close and carrying one the 99.9% of the time you do not need it can cause deep problems. Most states have carry laws forbidding double edge daggers.
For combat or "squared off duals" a longer blade is a nice thing, wide guard- no choil(I despise a choil on anything meant for using against a body, they tend to hang on material if the blade is buried and you try to retract the blade). Something akin to the Condor Combat Machete might suit me ;)

For daily carry and personal self defense the knife in post #51 made me grin and think of some small reductions in blade and handle length for a crossdraw sheath. Daily wear, single edge and VERY high performance- maybe just a small swedge for an aid in initial penetration until the razor sharp sweep starts slicing. 1/8" thick, 5.5-6" blade, 1.25 wide. When will you be in a position to crank a few out? :)

2Door

Christof,
Just on a humorous note: if I were to walk into the room with that beautiful young lady holding that knife the following dialogue would ensue:

"Excuse me Ma'ame, I was just looking for directions & perhaps you could help me- just how do I get the Hell out of here??" ;)

2Door

not a bad idea. between a field dirk and a leuku bushie. or like the stead knife but longer :)

I think I need 2 weeks of catchup time before I know where everything in the new shop is and how close all the orders are. Moving is...fun

I like that Leuku and Id deploy with it without hesitation. The problem is nowadays, the CoC frowns upon aggressive (useful) blades as too intimidating. Ive seen them confiscated. I guess they missed the memo about the AO being a warzone. Nice blade, though.

I think I need 2 weeks of catchup time before I know where everything in the new shop is and how close all the orders are. Moving is...fun

Speaking of...hows my SERE coming? Did you decide to ColdBlue it? I think it would look nice depending on the look of the scales.

Back